Getting Experience for Licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldschooliscool

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm nearing the start of my clinical internship, so naturally I am thinking about what comes next. I'm leaning towards having a private practice in the future - whether full time or part time - which would mean that I need to be licensed, of course.

We all know that every state is different in what they require; some relaxed, some not, and I'm not sure where I'll end up. So, I want to keep my options open.

It seems to me that attending an APA-accredited post-doc is the safest option to ensure you can get licensed in the future. However, what is the process like outside of an APA-accredited post-doc? If I wanted to, say, teach at a small college immediately after internship, how would I complete the requirements to get licensed? Should I hope to find a private practice in the area that would let me work part time in exchange for small pay and supervised experience?

Any input here would be greatly appreciated. This is something that my program has not prepared me for, so I'm left trying to figure it out on my own.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I'm nearing the start of my clinical internship, so naturally I am thinking about what comes next. I'm leaning towards having a private practice in the future - whether full time or part time - which would mean that I need to be licensed, of course.

We all know that every state is different in what they require; some relaxed, some not, and I'm not sure where I'll end up. So, I want to keep my options open.

It seems to me that attending an APA-accredited post-doc is the safest option to ensure you can get licensed in the future. However, what is the process like outside of an APA-accredited post-doc? If I wanted to, say, teach at a small college immediately after internship, how would I complete the requirements to get licensed? Should I hope to find a private practice in the area that would let me work part time in exchange for small pay and supervised experience?

Any input here would be greatly appreciated. This is something that my program has not prepared me for, so I'm left trying to figure it out on my own.
Post-doc is much less formal than Pre-doc- both in the application process and the work in general. As you have mentioned, licensure requirements vary greatly from state to state, with some not even requiring it. I don't believe (but could be wrong) any states currently require an APA approved post-doc with a formal application process. You just need to be certain that you are getting the required number of clinical hours with the required supervision. I'd take a look at the requirements for any state you could even imaging yourself practicing in, as well as every state with a few hundred miles of these. Pick the most stringent requirements and make sure you meet these within the time specified time frame.

If, such as in your example, you end up teaching at a small college, you would seek out supervised clinical work in, for instance, the college counseling center, a local private practice or hospital, etc. When I was in grad school at the local Big State U, there were professors from a close by small college who affiliated with our training clinic for post-doc hours. In return, they co-supervised clinical teams in their areas of expertise (one was/is a pretty well-known researcher on hoarding). I got my post-doc hours and supervision as part of my positions at a private special education school and, later, at a psychological/developmental clinic in a hospital. If the position isn't designated as a post-doc, you negotiate for enough supervised clinical work to meet licensure requirements. In my area (geographically and clinically) it can be very difficult to recruit licensed psychologists, so it's not uncommon to take someone as a post doc, provide supervision, and find ways for them to generate revenue (and thus earn at least some of their pay) while they are completing what they need for licensure.

Reactions: 3 users
Similar to what ClinicalABA mentioned, in my graduate program, the newer professors often completed supervised clinical work under one or more of the licensed psychologists in the department, such as in the department's psych clinic, the licensed psychologists' private practices, and/or at a hospital or facility where the licensed psychologists also worked. I don't know if they paid for any requisite supervision.

As you've mentioned, another option (especially if there aren't other psychologists on-staff at the small college willing/able to provide supervision) is seeking out a private practice in the area. They may or may not want you to pay for the supervision hours. But as ClinicalABA mentioned, the important parts will be establishing that you get enough clinical hours in the necessary time frame (e.g., some states cap it at 1-2 years), and that you receive the necessary supervision, which in most instances seems to be around 2-3 hours/week. And as always, check with the individual state in question, as some require that you and/or the supervisor submit forms or other information to them at the outset. I'd also plan to have the supervisor fill out any necessary forms ASAP once the requisite hours are complete. If there's a contract or other written agreement (which there probably should be), the completion of those forms by the supervisor should definitely be included.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to the both of you for your replies, this is really helpful!
A related question I have is: what, exactly, constitutes clinical hours? If they needed, say, 1,000 "clinical hours" beyond internship, would these only be counted as face-to-face, client hours? Or would things like test scoring, administration duties, or even research/teaching satisfy these hours? I know it varies from state to state, but do either of you (or anyone else) have any insight here?
Thanks again!

A related question I have is: what, exactly, constitutes clinical hours? If they needed, say, 1,000 "clinical hours" beyond internship, would these only be counted as face-to-face, client hours? Or would things like test scoring, administration duties, or even research/teaching satisfy these hours? I know it varies from state to state, but do either of you (or anyone else) have any insight here?
Thanks again!
I agree with R. Matey--there's not really a way to say without knowing the specific state. I'd say it seems unlikely that research/teaching would count toward clinical hours, but I could be wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks again!
Take a look at the New York Requirements:

It's a pretty good example of a State that requires post-doc hours (and historically had some of the more stringent requirements, but tthat may have changed since I was last paying attention). They Require 1750 hours completed after doctoral degree. These hours must be completed at a qualifying site and doing work that meets the definition (found in the state regs and linked to on the website) of "psychological services." Note also that qualifying positions must have an appropriate job title, such as "psychological intern or psychological trainee," but you can't present to the clients or the public using the a title that includes the words " psychology, psychological, or psychologist." You'll also find stipulations for what is considered to be approproprate full-time and part-time experience, including minimum or maximum lengths of time.

Not all states require post doc for licensure (my current state- MA- does not). Should you become licensed in such a state without doing a post doc, you would be eligible for licensure in NY if you worked as a licensed psychologist in that other state for 5 out of the ten years prior to applying in New York, pending successful completion of the NY psychology jurisprudence exam process.

As you can see- there are some pretty well-defined and laid out procedures and guidelines for this stuff. As a mentioned before, look at the regs for any state you could possible see yourself practicing in, and those of any states bordering those, just in case. Pick the most stringent requirements, and meet those.

Reactions: 1 users