Job offers...what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pharmdtobe2013

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I've started receiving job offers (yay!), but much sooner than I expected and I'm getting a little overwhelmed. The decision deadlines are timing out terribly so I need some advice. Here's my situation:

-First offer is my most "out of the box" option. It requires a big move (different part of the country) but is offering a substantial sign on bonus and therefore requires a contract/committment. I have 30 days to decide on that one..
-Second "offer" is coming tomorrow (essentially the company calls to tell you their offering you a job but they only allow 48 hours to make a decision...so they call back a few days later when you're "ready to decide" and the clock starts ticking). It's a good option, but throws a big wrinkle in deciding on the others.
-The company I intern for has verbally promised an offer...but no details and no info on when to expect them. Therefore, I have nothing to take into consideration on that one..
-Lastly, I have an interview coming up with what is probably a top prospect...but of course it falls after my decision deadline on the other two 🙁

I don't know what to do. I could accept the second offer since it's the one I have to decide on first...but what if I end up with an offer I want more? I'm really considering the first one too..but it's money up front so I'm "locked in" to a decision more so than with the others. So, I need help deciding and would like advice from those with similar experiences on how to handle multiple offers. The companies are walgreens, target, and rite aid for those of you who have input to offer...
 
The first two sound like they are in ****ty locations or bad stores, because 1. they are offering bonuses and are offering you this early in the game. 2. they only give you 48hrs, which means they don't really want you to think it through.

At the end of the day, you can accept an offer, then just not go if you receive a better offer. Remember, the selection process goes both ways.
 
Verbal offer does not count. They are floating you. If they find a better candidate, they will cross you off their list. So, cross RAD out of the list.

Walgreen vs Target. Make a list of pros and cons, assign values and decide from there.

For me, I'd take WAG. Target computer sucks, and I think you will run into problem of highly compensated employee. Means you can't max your 401k. That's a really huge chit for me. I am not entirely sure about this tho... check around.

And, yes I'd probably take all offers and kill the one I do not like when I find a better offer.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accept all the offers and then decide which one you want to go with. If you think that they're going to offer you a job and then not withdraw then you're out of your mind. Two way street.
 
Basically your decision process should be like this,
Job > No job.
Location > People > Bonus.

Location is important. Nothing trumpts your support system of friends and family. After that, it is the people who you work with that will make your job that much easier... or that much hellish.

Bonus is last because it is peanuts after taxes. Also, it is not there after your contract expires.

Bonus + good management + semi support system of friends and family may trump location.
 
Basically your decision process should be like this,
Job > No job.
Location > People > Bonus.

Location is important. Nothing trumpts your support system of friends and family. After that, it is the people who you work with that will make your job that much easier... or that much hellish.

Bonus is last because it is peanuts after taxes. Also, it is not there after your contract expires.

Bonus + good management + semi support system of friends and family may trump location.

Thanks. Honestly, that's the real problem I'm struggling with...deciding what's most important to me right now. The first option would take me away from all my family, it's not a desirable place to live by most people's standards (I'm from a small town in the middle of nowhere so it's actually a "step up" in terms of population and things to do), and is definitely a short term option. It's the company I think I want to work for most...but not where I plan to settle down. So, is +$30,000 up front worth toughing out 3 years in a different area (I'm married so I wouldn't be going out there completely on my own), then transferring internally to the place I really want to be? Or do I shoot for the long term plan now? Between those two options, I really would have to say no without knowing exactly what I have with that company here (because of the contract...I'm sure you can get out of it..but you hand back the money with interest and I don't want to deal with that). I'm not gonna leave myself empty-handed either way and will say yes to the other offer that I can back out of later on if I get what I really want....but that may mean turning down my "first choice" company for them initially. Money is not the most important thing to me by any means, but it means more now that it would later on (student loans)....and location will mean more to me later on than it does now (I don't want to have babies half way across the country from the rest of my family). The husband's on board for whatever I think is the best opportunity because he can easily relocate with his job.