Job opening in Alaska, any takers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nilf

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll omit the name of the city and the hospital, but if you're genuinly interested, PM me.

Hospital XXX is an accredited acute and long-term care facility providing a variety of services including comprehensive trauma, 46-beds inpatient, outpatient, and home health services and a long-term care facility.

Hospital is located in the heart of the National Forest. The hospital provides health care services to THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE as well as to the island communities located along Alaska’s Inside Passage.

Isolated on an island CRAPLOAD air miles away from Seattle, Washington, General Hospital is more self-reliant than most small rural hospitals found in the "lower 48." Among the services available at hospital are are home health, physical and occupational therapy, an accredited cancer care program, up-to-date technology and medical equipment, an emergency physician and staff on site 24 hours a day, a phase II cardiac rehabilitation program, and diabetes education.

The medical community is complemented by several EMT services and medi-flight service from the outer islands to THE REMOTE TOWN. It contracts with medi-vac companies to provide emergency airlifts to Seattle area hospitals for major traumas including head and neck injuries.

Kewl.

Members don't see this ad.

Is that the place that has all women working for it, no men? There is some program in Alaska that has no male pathologists - probably in anchorage though.

Is that the place that has all women working for it, no men? There is some program in Alaska that has no male pathologists - probably in anchorage though.

No, it's a different one.

BTW, the dearth of pathology positions was truly transparent on this recruiting website. There were only 4 AP/CP jobs, and 1 AP only job, 1 for cytopathology, and 2 for dermatopathology. For comparison, a much smaller specialty of radiation oncology had 12 openings. Dermatology had 84 openings, radiology had 123 openings, and internal medicine 834 openings.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this the job around Ketichikan(sp)? I've been in this area and it is absolutely beautiful. Granted, I think your groceries come once a week by boat, but it is breathtaking in terms of scenery. Extremely peaceful, too.

Is this the job around Ketichikan(sp)? I've been in this area and it is absolutely beautiful. Granted, I think your groceries come once a week by boat, but it is breathtaking in terms of scenery. Extremely peaceful, too.

It is. I hope I don't get banned for confirming this.

Sorry, I had actually seen the job ad previously. I would secretly love to pack up and move to alaska but I'm not sure how well it would work logistically. It's an amazing opportunity though. I wonder what their volume is?

I think it's perfectly legit to post a job ad you find on here.

I would apply for it myself if they were willing to wait a few years until I get out of training.

I think it's perfectly legit to post a job ad you find on here.

I would apply for it myself if they were willing to wait a few years until I get out of training.

I don't know anything about this opportunity besides the fact that it's in Alaska. Frontier life seems so cool.

F**K!! i want that job, badly. thats my home turf. but i think matching in pathology may have to remain my top priority for now . . .

but to any nay-sayers: any part of alaska that offers a job is a great place to live. decent schools, safe communities, plenty of recreation, and scenery galore. great place to raise a family. i'd move back in a heartbeat

I actually talked to those people a long time ago during my fellowship...LOL, place sounds like it blows chunks. And on top of it, the cost of living up there is crazy high.

No, it's a different one.

BTW, the dearth of pathology positions was truly transparent on this recruiting website. There were only 4 AP/CP jobs, and 1 AP only job, 1 for cytopathology, and 2 for dermatopathology. For comparison, a much smaller specialty of radiation oncology had 12 openings. Dermatology had 84 openings, radiology had 123 openings, and internal medicine 834 openings.

yeah and we need 1000 more residents trained according to the academia braintrust. I would love to know what seemingly level headed academics like Appleman think about this.