Job options for Ophthalmologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

i4eye

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Could somebody give me some idea about J1 waiver jobs in Ophthalmology? Post residency job opportunities vis-a-vis post fellowship J1 waiver jobs? I understand things can change in coming years, but what's the situation now? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Come on, guys! Silence is deafening!!:D

Come on, guys! Silence is deafening!!:D

I know you get a waiver if you work as staff ophthalmologist in a VA hospital. Other specialties can go to undeserved area easily, I do not know if it applies ophtho, but I do not see why not.

Hi there MD and i4eye,

I'm new to the forum and saw some of your earlier. i4eye, its sad no-one wrote about their experiences in the thread you started about IMGs in last year's match, and to some extent what you said is true about IMGs not helping others out. My experience differs though, I know several IMGs who matched who are generally very helpful to those who ask. More details later. Getting back to your question - I had heard there were no J1 jobs for ophthalmology. But I personally know the guy who said this - was doing a retina fellowship - and was planning to go back to home country - but is now doing a waiver job in the Northeast. Thats the only person I know in ophth on a J1 waiver. Others I know had to go home.

And Pearls in opthalmology - PIO - the newsletter started by Dr. Doan and mentioned at other places on this forum - now has a section for IMGs in ophth. The first article was written by a friend. In fact, one of the editors of PIO is an IMG. You should look that up...