Job outlook (NICU vs PICU)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DarkBluMage

M3
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ll be doing aways in both and I’m looking to match Peds with NICU or PICU fellowship as the end goal. I keep hearing different things about job outlooks for PICU and I’m not sure if I should be concerned since I’m leaning towards PICU as they’re more procedural than NICU from my understanding. Can anyone give insight into the future regarding pay and job prospects?
My initial goal was Peds surgery but given my age and desire for a family I decided to go Peds and subspecialize so I can work with my hands more while still working with kids.

Members don't see this ad.

This is a relevant thread for you: Lifetime Earning Potential - Pediatric Cardiac ICU vs. Pediatric ICU

PICU job market isn’t great, and is focused in large academic centers. This is also true of course of CVICU jobs, but you’re even more procedural and the market isn’t quite as saturated. NICU is less procedural and may have some lower pay, but it’s much easier to find a non academic job. NICU is one of the few peds moneymakers for a hospital, so many community hospitals will still have a low level NICU even if they otherwise transfer out any complicated peds stuff.

Bottom line, you’ll have a whole peds residency to think about this. But I think this is likely to boil down to how procedural you want to be (PICU/CVICU) vs have a job that is portable outside major academic centers.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! I’ll check that thread out. I never thought of CVICU as an option, I’ll look into that.