Job Satisfaction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HjadeK

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else taken to heart the job dissatisfaction statistics of Doctors in all specialties?

The more research I do, the worse it feels? I don't want to look back at my life and regret where I'm putting my time. Of course helping people will give great life satisfaction, but helping people at the cost of me doesn't sit well with me. I really don't think I'll be much use to anyone else if I'm shaped into the neurotic workaholic I've read about. By all means, I'm willing to work hard, extremely hard, but never will it be at expense of my health and life satisfaction.

Anyone else experiencing any of these doubts?

Furthermore, sometimes I think Chiropractic could be the happy medium, at the same time though I almost feel I'd be selling my potential short.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Life is what you make it. I love my job and I love my life. Two sides to every story. Don't let other people dictate how you should feel about your life and your career. That's for you and only you to decide.

Reactions: 6 users
Your own health is always most important. As a premed with history of health issues, I've had to think long and hard about this, and my parents recommended me to rethink my decision to go to medical school. But when I remember why I'm doing it, I don't think anyone or anything can stop me from trying my best. It's not my job, it's my duty. Same pretty much goes for any worker in healthcare.

Also, based on my shoddy work ethic, I doubt I'll ever become a neurotic workaholic.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So my relatively anecdotal theory is that the reason job dissatisfaction is so high among doctors is because so many (especially in the past 20 ish years) went into it for the money and prestige. And most doctors never really get very rich or prestigious, despite working very hard. So if that is what you're looking for then the job is pretty dissatisfying.

I like to think that those who go into it with the goal of having a job they enjoy generally fare well, although my sample size is very limited

Has anyone else taken to heart the job dissatisfaction statistics of Doctors in all specialties?

The more research I do, the worse it feels? I don't want to look back at my life and regret where I'm putting my time. Of course helping people will give great life satisfaction, but helping people at the cost of me doesn't sit well with me. I really don't think I'll be much use to anyone else if I'm shaped into the neurotic workaholic I've read about. By all means, I'm willing to work hard, extremely hard, but never will it be at expense of my health and life satisfaction.

Anyone else experiencing any of these doubts?

Furthermore, sometimes I think Chiropractic could be the happy medium, at the same time though I almost feel I'd be selling my potential short.

Thoughts?
Don't go into medicine to "help people". Do it because you actually like the job function - you like doing what doctors do each day. Helping people and earning a nice living can be happy by-products of this career but if they are the primary focus you won't have the same kind of job satisfaction.

As for chiropractors, that's basically a dirty word on a medicine board -- I can't tell if you are trolling or trying to inflame here. The AMA fought a long losing battle throughout the 70s-80s trying to keep states from even letting them use the title "doctor" and publicly labeled them "quacks" in open court. And many of us know/knew patients who ended up disabled or dead because they sought out manipulation instead of a surgeon, and their actual condition was not recognized until too late. To be fair some chiropractors do know when to get an MD/DO involved, but unfortunately not all are as quick to turn patients away in these tight economic times. So I'd keep that aside to yourself on this board - there's a long history here.

Reactions: 1 users
If you think you might not like it, you're probably right. It's a lot to sacrifice for ??? benefits. Become sure you're sure, or don't do it.

Have you spent any time shadowing a specialty that remotely appeals to you? I just spent my week of Spring break shadowing a surgeon that loves what he does. I was present for OR days and consulting days. I saw everything that is glorified about medicine and the "office" aspect that so many current/retired physicians blame for their dissatisfaction, and not a moment of it wasn't appealing to me. I was at the facility for 7 each morning and couldn't wait for each day. I think if you have a similar experience, seeing every aspect of a physician's career, you'll be able to feel better about your choice to enter medicine.

Some doctors act like paperwork alone makes medicine not worth it, the one I was with said it was merely a necessity of modern medicine and when he considers the satisfaction his job brings him, how much he hates paperwork isn't even relevant.

Don't go into medicine to "help people". Do it because you actually like the job function - you like doing what doctors do each day. Helping people and earning a nice living can be happy by-products of this career but if they are the primary focus you won't have the same kind of job satisfaction.

As for chiropractors, that's basically a dirty word on a medicine board -- I can't tell if you are trolling or trying to inflame here. The AMA fought a long losing battle throughout the 70s-80s trying to keep states from even letting them use the title "doctor" and publicly labeled them "quacks" in open court. And many of us know/knew patients who ended up disabled or dead because they sought out manipulation instead of a surgeon, and their actual condition was not recognized until too late. To be fair some chiropractors do know when to get an MD/DO involved, but unfortunately not all are as quick to turn patients away in these tight economic times. So I'd keep that aside to yourself on this board - there's a long history here.

Chiropractic is hardly a "dirty word", and is extremely disrespectful to the doctors of chiropractic. Diversity is strength, it's hardly chiropractic vs medicine. There are bad doctors in all fields. I am aware of the AMA case, and I noticed you were previously in law, and so I assume this holds some kind of power for you, putting down alternative forms of medicine, but it's ethically wrong. Patients end up dying in all fields. Respectively, I believe in what I stand for, and I'm hardly going to monitor what I say to prolong the childish made up war of holistic medicine vs new age medicine. The sooner doctors can each recognize and appreciate what each person brings to the table by their own specific education and training, the sooner we can focus on saving lives, and not who's "the better doctor."

Life is what you make it. I love my job and I love my life. Two sides to every story. Don't let other people dictate how you should feel about your life and your career. That's for you and only you to decide.

Thank-you. Simple sometimes really does get through best.

Chiropractic is hardly a "dirty word", and is extremely disrespectful to the doctors of chiropractic. Diversity is strength, it's hardly chiropractic vs medicine. There are bad doctors in all fields. I am aware of the AMA case, and I noticed you were previously in law, and so I assume this holds some kind of power for you, putting down alternative forms of medicine, but it's ethically wrong. Patients end up dying in all fields. Respectively, I believe in what I stand for, and I'm hardly going to monitor what I say to prolong the childish made up war of holistic medicine vs new age medicine. The sooner doctors can each recognize and appreciate what each person brings to the table by their own specific education and training, the sooner we can focus on saving lives, and not who's "the better doctor."

While it is important to objectively view any individual claiming to be a professional, I believe chiropractic has well-earned its place as, at the bare minimum, a controversial discipline. "Prescribing" remedies with no scientific support to their efficacy, suggesting bogus alternatives to surgery, and vying for positions as "family practitioners" to unwary customers are all downright evil practices and have no place in medicine, and I and many others have simply witnessed far too many DCs pulling this crap.

Reactions: 2 users
While it is important to objectively view any individual claiming to be a professional, I believe chiropractic has well-earned its place as, at the bare minimum, a controversial discipline. "Prescribing" remedies with no scientific support to their efficacy, suggesting bogus alternatives to surgery, and vying for positions as "family practitioners" to unwary customers are all downright evil practices and have no place in medicine, and I and many others have simply witnessed far too many DCs pulling this crap.

Agree to disagree.

I am just relating the history. Medicine took a very strong and public position against Chiropractors, and frankly lost in the court of public opinion, not based on evidence based science. You can do what you want, but calling chiropractic a happy medium on a different profession's board after basically accusing doctors of being "neurotic workaholics" who are dissatisfied with their jobs sounds like you are trying to be inflammatory/trolling. That you are considering that field to avoid having to be a workaholic doesn't sound like your intent is to be one of the more learned within that field, which is more fuel for the fire. That you are coming to a PREMED board and saying all this -- That's the being "childish" and "disrespectful" I see here...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Agree to disagree.
Did you do any kind of research into the matter?

http://edzardernst.com/2013/10/twenty-things-most-chiropractors-wont-tell-you/ Written by a former chiropractor.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/opposing-chiropractic-persecution-or-justified-criticism/

https://www.painscience.com/articles/does-chiropractic-work.php More criticism that come from people in the field. And a poll showed that most Americans consider chiropractors to be the most dishonest and unethical health professionals.

And it is not a case of holistic vs new age medicine. Many health professionals would adopt alternative treatments if it is backed by evidence. Don't make it into attacks on doctors not being able to work in teams; back your statements up

Reactions: 2 users
I am just relating the history. Medicine took a very strong and public position against Chiropractors, and frankly lost in the court of public opinion, not based on evidence based science. You can do what you want, but calling chiropractic a happy medium on a different profession's board after basically accusing doctors of being "neurotic workaholics" who are dissatisfied with their jobs sounds like you are trying to be inflammatory/trolling. That you are considering that field to avoid having to be a workaholic doesn't sound like your intent is to be one of the more learned within that field, which is more fuel for the fire. That you are coming to a PREMED board and saying all this -- That's the being "childish" and "disrespectful" I see here...
Medicine lost in the court of law as well against chiropractic and alternative healthcare. Being a lawyer is probably more inflammatory to people in medicine than speaking about chiropractors, but I digress. I understood the OP to be stating that he wanted to help people, maybe make a decent living, but not have to give up most of his life to do it.

Medicine lost in the court of law as well against chiropractic and alternative healthcare. Being a lawyer is probably more inflammatory to people in medicine than speaking about chiropractors, but I digress. I understood the OP to be stating that he wanted to help people, maybe make a decent living, but not have to give up most of his life to do it.

I believe there are plenty of health professions that allow you to help people and don't require the commitment of medicine.
Dentists are well-respected primary care givers for the teeth and mouth.
Podiatrists have the ability to work on a wider scope of fascinating cases than many imagine.
My local optometrist is very engaged in his work and takes great pride in it.
A local chiropractor had my boss drinking urushiol (poison ivy) "tincture" to bestow immunity to the contact poison.
even if that had ANY legitimacy, how is that within the scope of practice of a chiropractor? And these stories creep up all the time.

I believe there are plenty of health professions that allow you to help people and don't require the commitment of medicine.
Dentists are well-respected primary care givers for the teeth and mouth.
Podiatrists have the ability to work on a wider scope of fascinating cases than many imagine.
My local optometrist is very engaged in his work and takes great pride in it.
A local chiropractor had my boss drinking urushiol (poison ivy) "tincture" to bestow immunity to the contact poison.
even if that had ANY legitimacy, how is that within the scope of practice of a chiropractor? And these stories creep up all the time.

Yeah, we never hear stories of MDs giving fake chemo, unnecessary or doing unproven treatments. A 2003 article in NEJM even stated that around less than 20% of what we do in medicine has any scientific proof behind it, less than 50% has any evidence based efficacy at all (i.e. half of what we do is guessing), and that around 70% of the medicine's we write are for off-label, i.e. non proven or approved indications. Not to include medical care, or mis-care is the 4th leading cause of death. Yet, we are quick to take the splinter out of someone else's eye... when we have a log in our own.