Job Search

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OnlyOneZlatan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If there is a solid job search thread that's already been started, then someone point me in that direction, otherwise I am hoping this can be a place to jump start a discussion as to imperative things to consider when looking for a job.

I have looked around at major recruiting sites and been to multiple recruiting events, and while my program can easily reach out to graduates for jobs, I would like to learn about it myself. Personally, I am going to be in a 2 physician income household so pay isn't the highest priority, but rather location, shift structure, ability to remain somewhat academic are all things I am seeking out.

Any suggestions, considerations, recruiter sites or contacts?

Members don't see this ad.

Wish I had something constructive to add, just here to say that I hope you find a job you love as much as Zlatan loves Zlatan

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Edphysician.com will have the low hanging fruit that is openly advertised, but the unicorn Sdg jobs don't get posted there.

But the website gives a good idea of how desperately some of these CMGs are looking and can help with negotiation

Members don't see this ad :)
EMdocs jobs has some decent stuff on facebook.

Regardless, from what some people have told me, if the job is advertised openly, you should be skeptical. It's worth it to just cold call some places and see what is available.

If there is a solid job search thread that's already been started, then someone point me in that direction, otherwise I am hoping this can be a place to jump start a discussion as to imperative things to consider when looking for a job.

I have looked around at major recruiting sites and been to multiple recruiting events, and while my program can easily reach out to graduates for jobs, I would like to learn about it myself. Personally, I am going to be in a 2 physician income household so pay isn't the highest priority, but rather location, shift structure, ability to remain somewhat academic are all things I am seeking out.

Any suggestions, considerations, recruiter sites or contacts?

Look for red flags...

...EDs that perpetually use locums (because what they offer in terms of pay/staffing/quality of work life are unattractive) are still using McKesson or first generation Meditech for charting (a terrible out of date EMR that is unsuitable for maintaining any sort of efficiency in the ED and will identify an out of touch administration), are constantly or frequently advertising open positions on websites like practicelink (see the locums reasons), are in towns with meat packing plants or large non English speaking populations (using a language line frequently kills efficiency), or are near Indian reservations (where IHS clinics dump patients into your department). Those would be automatic rule outs for me.

Your best bet is to talk to your attendings and recent graduates and get hooked in to a good job.

Never forget that the roles aware reversed now. Applying to med school and residency, you were competing for a slot. In the marketplace, departments compete for physicians. While this isn’t an excuse to be rude, obnoxious, or unprofessional you can always ask the hard questions that will help determine if a job is a good fit.

Reactions: 1 user
Never forget that the roles aware reversed now. Applying to med school and residency, you were competing for a slot. In the marketplace, departments compete for physicians. While this isn’t an excuse to be rude, obnoxious, or unprofessional you can always ask the hard questions that will help determine if a job is a good fit.

This is so important. Don't feel pressure to sign early. Apply and interview at a bunch of places. Shops that don't have an opening right now may interview you anyway via phone or in person and keep you in mind when they have an opening. Don't sell yourself short.