job search

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zurned

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a PGY-3 and graduating next June so I gotta start looking for a job. I go to residency in the NY area and was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to go about looking for jobs in other faraway states such as texas or florida. I've heard from my PD and others to consider using recruiters for out of state jobs to simplify the process, but I have gathered from most people that recruiters = evil.

Anyone have any input into other ways to search for jobs far away? When i do an internet search, all I get are websites with listings that go through recruiters. Thanks for any suggstions.

Members don't see this ad.

I've actually looked up hospitals in the area and just called the er and asked who the medical director is and then called and asked for their email

PLEASE.. dont sale yourself to a recruiter!!! Make sure you understand that A.)They take your money (often 10 grand or more), and B.) They tend to recruit for the places nobody in the 'know' wants to work....

If your now, make plans NOW to go to ACEP. Go to the job fair; there will be lots of decent folks there recruiting.

BS said it well; first thing is to work at limiting on where you want to live or at least down to a couple spots (Texas is BIG). Once you've done that, you will find it much easier to make some contacts.

Utilize old residents from your program (ask the PD, have we sent residents to XYZ in recent years), use the ACEP job fair, heck even utilize SDN... dont be afraid to PM someone if it looks like they are in an area that interests you. And lastly, do not be afraid to 'cold call' a hospitals. Ask if the director is in; if the phone answer people have a force field up in front of the doctor, tell whomever answered "Here is my name, I am a resident finishing in EM, I am interested in a job at your site, and want to know who I need to talk to about more details"....

Good Luck... You are in a GREAT position; there are many great jobs out there to be had.