Job searching during gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caxoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I was wondering if you have tips and suggestions for job hunting, for an entry level premed with no previous paid experience or serious job hunting experience. After doing extensive research, I figured out these positions are relatively available to the inexperienced: scribe, patient transport, CNA (with certification). Are there any other job titles I should be searching for?

Also, what are your strategies for job searching? Right now I'm applying to every single online job website I can find. I'm going to be in Houston during the summer, so I also went to many hospital website and applied directly. I was thinking of calling hospitals and asking them if they know of opportunities later as well.

There's one issue, in that I am not in Houston until the end of June, so cannot interview until then. Will this impact me greatly?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What is your degree going to be? I'm a psych major and I'm also interested to see what may be out there for my single gap year (after application).

Teaching jobs (tutoring, mcat prep, etc), if you're into it. Now is the time to apply so you can start up right after you graduate. I think a lot of interviews are done via Skype.

Of course, if you're lacking in clinical experience or research then I would try to find a job that fulfills that criteria. But if you're pretty good in those areas, then teaching may be a fun and interesting new thing to try out. Whatever you decide, best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your degree going to be? I'm a psych major and I'm also interested to see what may be out there for my single gap year (after application).

Biological Sciences. From what I can tell yours and my degree aren't the best for job applications unfortunately

Teaching jobs (tutoring, mcat prep, etc), if you're into it. Now is the time to apply so you can start up right after you graduate. I think a lot of interviews are done via Skype.

Of course, if you're lacking in clinical experience or research then I would try to find a job that fulfills that criteria. But if you're pretty good in those areas, then teaching may be a fun and interesting new thing to try out. Whatever you decide, best of luck.

I'm actually looking into teaching abroad for the period after summer. I'll possibly look into stuff like tutoring and MCAT prep, thanks for the tip. I had originally thought of teaching, perhaps ES/MS/HS, but it isn't something you can easily get into, the training period alone would be a huge chunk of the gap year.

My parents are truck drivers and I could get my license in like 2 weeks. I could make around 30k in that one year, but I would rather do something that kept me sharp. Maybe I could drive and supplement with something.

My parents are truck drivers and I could get my license in like 2 weeks. I could make around 30k in that one year, but I would rather do something that kept me sharp. Maybe I could drive and supplement with something.

Pretty unique job choice haha. I personally wouldn't be able to do it, would get bored and fall asleep too often at the wheel probably

Reactions: 1 user
Become a tutor. Pays way more than scribing (aka helps fund your med school applications).

Or if you become a lab tech, you could still get paid well if you find the right lab.

Bumping this for more opinions

Become a tutor. Pays way more than scribing (aka helps fund your med school applications).

Or if you become a lab tech, you could still get paid well if you find the right lab.

Do you have any advice for looking for tutoring jobs? Right now I'm really inexperienced, all I can think of is applying broadly online and calling places in the city I plan to be at. Are there any good strategies?

Be a scribe!! I'm doing it for my gap year right now and it was the best decision ever. It really solidified my decision to apply to med school and gave me soooo much to talk about in interviews. Scribe companies know that people only want to do the job for 1-2 years at most, so they are willing to hire people knowing that they will likely be gone to professional school within a year. My particular company pays pretty well and the experience has been invaluable. PM me if you want! :)

Be a scribe if you can manage to support yourself on a scribe's wage...which is low. If you score well on the MCAT then try teaching for the testing companies, or you can also teach for the SAT if you pass their qualifying exam and make it through their training course.

Or you can just go ahead be a research associate/lab tech and turn into a zombie and literally pipette your soul away.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in this boat as well. I'm really interested in scribing, but when I applied last month they wanted me to start immediately which I couldn't fit with my current commitments (and I would have to move).

However I do have an opportunity to be the assistant manager at my local pool where I am also the head coach of a swim team. It would be convenient for me, but I am a little worried about trying to find work after the pool closes up after labor day. Do any of you know what the job market is typically like around July-August? Also I worry that assistant manager at the pool won't add much to my application...

What happened to just getting a job at Shoney's? If you apply senior year and take that single gap year, you dont have anyone to impress, so any job should do, right?

Be a scribe if you can manage to support yourself on a scribe's wage...which is low. If you score well on the MCAT then try teaching for the testing companies, or you can also teach for the SAT if you pass their qualifying exam and make it through their training course.

Or you can just go ahead be a research associate/lab tech and turn into a zombie and literally pipette your soul away.
"Pipette your soul away"

This is so accurate, I laughed so hard.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you have any advice for looking for tutoring jobs? Right now I'm really inexperienced, all I can think of is applying broadly online and calling places in the city I plan to be at. Are there any good strategies?

Well you can try the big name places (Princeton Review, Kaplan, etc.), but also look into tutoring positions at your school, positions at places like Sylvan Learning Center (and other related centers), Kumon, then your random tutoring places that you drive by (non-chain companies), etc.

Or you could just go private tutoring, and target the rich part of town. Those people will easily pay $30-40/hour for SAT tutoring.

When looking for jobs, just try and think of any experience working with kids or being a mentor/role model and hype up what you learned from that. Be prepared for a lot of scenario questions if you do interview at any tutoring place.

Examkrackers is looking for MCAT Instructors. $20/hr with locations at most major universities in states.

I'm going into my senior year and will be looking for a part-time job that I can turn into a full-time job during my gap year. When I'm applying, should I tell them that I plan on applying to medical school during the year that I'll be working full time? Would most people be ok with that? I can see how they'd be reluctant to hire someone who's only gonna be there for 1 year part time and 1 year full time..

I would HIGHLY recommend working as an EMT. The training course can be done relatively quickly, and it's not too challenging. It's highly rewarding, teaches you a lot of medical knowledge, and it's extremely fun, exciting, and pays pretty well! (plus the extra clinical exposure wouldn't hurt your resume)

Otherwise, Lab Tech...if you can manage being inside all day and dying a bit inside