Job Security for OT in New York?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lavitae

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Would anyone happen to know how secure the profession of OT is? (Specifically in New York?) I've decided that I really want to become an occupational therapist but it seems like there aren't as many available jobs as there are for professions such as physical therapy. I'm wondering if I should just go into physical therapy because it seems like it will ALWAYS be in demand. I will be graduating in four years (for either OT/PT) and I'm not sure if OT will be as stable especially since new laws will then be enacted and a new president will be elected around that time.

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend you go for the profession you really have a passion for. It seems like you aren't sure yet where you want to go into and just going into it just for job security. I'm just saying this because OT programs are getting very competitive and it wouldn't be fair if you got into a program and your heart isn't completely in it because there isn't as many "job opportunities" as another profession. OT's are in demand all over the place. Sorry if I am blunt but I am a 2nd year student in an OT program and I don't recommend anyone going into a profession like this if you aren't 100% in.

OTs are absolutely in demand in New York. For example, the last setting I observed in, every.single.day. the therapist would say how there is such a shortage in NY for good OTs and we would often talk about how ironic it is that there is a shortage but yet programs are so competitive and generally only accept 30-40 students per academic year. That said, I would have to completely agree with speedyy12 as she touched on some very good points. People sometimes spend years trying to get into a program (myself included) and it really isn't fair to take that spot from someone else who wholeheartedly wants it. And yes, I do understand that life isn't fair lol (I am almost 30 and have had my share of obstacles) but the best advice anyone can give you is to pick the profession that actually speaks to you. It may be OT or it may be PT. I would suggest that you spend some time observing in both settings to get an idea of which better meets your needs. While I did not observe in a PT setting I did observe in a hand rehabilitation setting which is as close to PT as you can get (in my opinion). It bored me to death and I knew that wouldn't be a good fit for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Would anyone happen to know how secure the profession of OT is? (Specifically in New York?) I've decided that I really want to become an occupational therapist but it seems like there aren't as many available jobs as there are for professions such as physical therapy. I'm wondering if I should just go into physical therapy because it seems like it will ALWAYS be in demand. I will be graduating in four years (for either OT/PT) and I'm not sure if OT will be as stable especially since new laws will then be enacted and a new president will be elected around that time.

Refer to this: http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes291122.htm

No, I DEFINITELY do know that my passion is to become an OT. It really is the perfect job for me in my opinion. I was just worried about following my heart and doing what I desire...and the possibility that I will get myself into a sticky situation with finding a job and being in debt especially since I am relying on myself and working to pay off schooling. I completely understand you guys though and I would also agree that only those truly interested in OT should pursue it. Thank you all for the feedback by the way. I was always uncertain about job security in NY because there seems to be only one or two positions open in many NYC hospitals as compared to other occupations (I am aware that OT's can work in other settings. Just using hospitals as an example) and it's scary especially with the possible government cutbacks on therapy funding in the future.

Where are you hearing that there will be cutbacks on therapy?