Job Shadowing resident physicians?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prepremed18079

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a sophomore and have done 26 hours of job shadowing and found through not only that but also having a physician mentor and going to a high school pre-med camp that I LOVE medicine, and I can;t wait to be a doctor. I crave hospital hours and time to interact with patients, but all of my shadows have been with Attendings and I kind of want to see some crazy resident stuff. Do teaching hospitals allow students to shadow residents?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see why a teaching hospital would not let you shadow a resident if you went through some form of volunteer approval process.

Attendings usually call the shots, so I would start with them first. Seek out a medical team where an attending is overseeing residents, and after a few days building rapport, maybe you could ask to tag along with some of the residents?

Entirely dependent on the supervising attending. But when i shadowed ER, the attending always assigned me to an intern/resident to shadow. It's interesting to see the ER dynamics but during rest period, i tend to discuss some general medical and non-medical stuff with them

you could be like this guy :p jk pls don't
xoPM3UR.jpg