Jobs during the year off

Started by Madhatter
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Madhatter

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi!

Would anyone be able to suggest jobs that can be done during my year off, i have a bachelors degree with a major in bio and a minor in chem. also, could u give an indication as to the salary earned for them...

Many thanks!
 
You could definitely get a research position...that's a great thing to do if you're going to be taking time off before going or applying to med school. It doesn't pay that well, though, I think 25K is about the highest...
 
BlueMagpie said:
You could definitely get a research position...that's a great thing to do if you're going to be taking time off before going or applying to med school. It doesn't pay that well, though, I think 25K is about the highest...

That's what I have been doing during my year off. I took a position at the University of Minnesota and have been earning about 26K for the last year. I have one more year before I (hopefully) attend medical school, so I just transferred to a different lab and got bumped up to 28K thanks to an extra year of experience. I'm certainly not bling-blinging or anything, but it's enough to live on.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
DoctorFunk said:
That's what I have been doing during my year off. I took a position at the University of Minnesota and have been earning about 26K for the last year. I have one more year before I (hopefully) attend medical school, so I just transferred to a different lab and got bumped up to 28K thanks to an extra year of experience. I'm certainly not bling-blinging or anything, but it's enough to live on.


Well, shoot! I'm at UVA, and they have a salary cap of 25K for research techs. :meanie:

Anyway. Good luck on your applications!
 
I'm taking a year off too while I apply for med school. I'm thinking of getting a CNA (certified nurse aide). Anyone here is one or knows one who is?
How's the pay in your area and does it pay more to work in a hospital or a private setting?
 
Temp yourself out as a research assistant for scientific research/consulting companies. Just look around in your area for recruiting companies that specialize in placing people trained in the sciences. You get more $$ than in academia - 30-35K, possibly more than that if you have good chem experience as well.
 
Emory Univeristy...30K..PRE-TAX! After Tax its a whole different story.... good luck!
 
in georgia the CDC is a good place to research. However, I got pretty good clinical experience working as an anesthesia tech at the hospital (about 25k per year). I hear ER techs get the best experience and make better money.
 
medical diagnostics:started at 32K, bumped up to 36K after experience
 
cattywoman said:
I'm taking a year off too while I apply for med school. I'm thinking of getting a CNA (certified nurse aide). Anyone here is one or knows one who is?
How's the pay in your area and does it pay more to work in a hospital or a private setting?

Yea, I just became a CNA - you make about $10 bucks an hour unless you do private home health care - in which case I have heard of people getting 15-20/hr-and they get to sleep and get paid for it, too.

I didn't do it for the money - I did it so I could work and gain clinical experience at the same time.
 
cattywoman said:
I'm taking a year off too while I apply for med school. I'm thinking of getting a CNA (certified nurse aide). Anyone here is one or knows one who is?
How's the pay in your area and does it pay more to work in a hospital or a private setting?


I am a CNA, but not working as one. CNA can make $10+ an hour. You can work as an ER tech, get more experience that way, or in a nursing home where the pay is really good $15+ an hour. If I have to work as a CNA I would choose to be an ER tech because you don't have to wipe asses :laugh: . By the way, CNA license will expires in two years unless you put it to use. <--- Please tell me I am wrong because if it is, mine will expires at the end of this month.
 
lol where the heck are you people working??
I got a job fresh out of undergrad (major in cell & molecular) at a research lab at the University of Washington in Seattle. Starting I was making ~35K, with raises every year, as long as your reviews were good!
So maybe you need to move to Seattle...I think looking at Biotech is also a good idea (tons of that in Seattle as well!)
I must admit I got a bit lucky (my boss was originally looking for someone with a doctorate)...but I was in the right place at the right time with the right degree and experience...so even if you think you are underqualified, APPLY! You never know what might come your way.
Good luck
 
When you guys were applying for your jobs, especially outside of acadamia, did you tell your employer you were applying to medical school and planning on leaving after 1 year?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
mocheese said:
When you guys were applying for your jobs, especially outside of acadamia, did you tell your employer you were applying to medical school and planning on leaving after 1 year?

I would probably skip that whole line of education. Just spout off something about wanting to explore different areas of science, etc etc. They usually wouldn't want to bother training in somebody who was just going to leave after a year anyways. AND, unless they specifically ask how long you plan to stay, you're not even lying :meanie:
 
sorry futuredocdo, in the ER that I work in we do wipe butts!! :scared: but you know what, I would rather wipe the butts rather than have mine wiped. somebody has got to do it and besides how about lending a helping hand to help and older person who can't make it to the bathroom. How can you lead when you have never offered any service???? think about it. :idea: :idea:
 
cattywoman said:
I'm taking a year off too while I apply for med school. I'm thinking of getting a CNA (certified nurse aide). Anyone here is one or knows one who is?
How's the pay in your area and does it pay more to work in a hospital or a private setting?
I am a cna, and working as one now doing a one to one(sitting for a psych pt.) anyways, it is different for pay in different parts of the country. but i work about ten miles from boston and get $12.25/hr plus 2.50/hr more for night shift. but i also have been here for 2 yrs.
you should definately work in a hospital and not a nursing home because you will learn a lot more and like it a lot better...trust me. keep in mind that it takes a strong person to be a cna because it is greuling physically and emotionally sometimes, but it will make you a better person and doctor.
 
sistahnik said:
sorry futuredocdo, in the ER that I work in we do wipe butts!! :scared: but you know what, I would rather wipe the butts rather than have mine wiped. somebody has got to do it and besides how about lending a helping hand to help and older person who can't make it to the bathroom. How can you lead when you have never offered any service???? think about it. :idea: :idea:
👍 i second that! if it was your grandma in that hospital bed, futuredocdo, wouldnt you want someone to make sure she was cleaned up if she had an accident? I wouldnt think twice about cleaning up her poop if she was my patient. Also, when you become a do, dont look down apon the nurses and aides because they do wipe butt
 
Hey all,

I think it is important for your application, interview and future career to pick a job in the medical field. Do you really know what you are getting yourself into?

On another level... they pay really well. I am a phlebotomist at the local hospital in Santa Cruz, CA. I make around 23/hr, but keep in mind I live in California where you need to take out a loan to pay for gas. 🙄

One way to find out about medical job opportunities is to visit your local community college. They should have a health technologies office with a list of occupations you can be trained for. Phlebotomy is one that, depending on the State, takes very little time to learn. Just have to be a prick! :laugh:

Good luck
-Ben
 
I have friends who got research jobs for the year between med school and grad and they are making atleast 50k a year. One of them is making almost 70k.

I also know this girl that works as a RNA and makes 20 dollars an hour.
 
NRAI2001 said:
I have friends who got research jobs for the year between med school and grad and they are making atleast 50k a year. One of them is making almost 70k.

I also know this girl that works as a RNA and makes 20 dollars an hour.


What kind of research are they doing? I'm pretty sure its not academic if its paying that much. A lot of post-docs don't even make that much. I'm assuming its around the Bay Area right?

I am a post-graduate researcher at the UC Davis Medical Center, studying pancreatic cancer. I make 31,000 a year. Enough to get by, but not nearly enough for applications 🙁
 
You could get a job doing something other than research. My other friend got his realtors license and is selling houses during his year off. He ll probably make close to 150k this year.
 
NRAI2001 said:
You could get a job doing something other than research. My other friend got his realtors license and is selling houses during his year off. He ll probably make close to 150k this year.

yikes
 
phleebie said:


not sure if anyone is interseted in business...but i strategy consult for pharamceuitcal companies...work for bain...

55K starting
10K signing
10-12K bonus at end of year depending on how well i did

so basically, i'm not getting ish at the end of the year...haha...

lemme know, i have references...

-A
 
shawty ya'head said:
not sure if anyone is interseted in business...but i strategy consult for pharamceuitcal companies...work for bain...

55K starting
10K signing
10-12K bonus at end of year depending on how well i did

so basically, i'm not getting ish at the end of the year...haha...

lemme know, i have references...

-A

Hey, how do you like your job at bain?
what do you do every day?
I'm also a senior premed/molbio major, looking to take a year off before med school.
I know there's money to be made in consulting, but i really want to do something i truly like during my time off...i don't just want a filler job that makes a lot of money. NOT that consulting is just a filler job, but for someone who isn't THAT interested in business, it kind of is.

But yeah, I'm still going to apply to several of those jobs.

any info would be much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Im having a real tough time finding a job here in Miami. I was originally focused on getting a science related job, but credit card bills are coming in and now I'm considering any freaking job. i even applied at Best Buy. though best buy isnt bad and will at least alleviate my debt, it will not be something that'll boast my application to med school.

You guys are pretty lucky in finding these jobs so easily. or maybe you guys were smart in getting certifications quite early. at this point i think it'll be a waste of time for me, as I think I have a good chance of getting in to med school this time
 
Maybe you can consider a temp agency. They can find jobs for you in the science field for a year or six months.....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
anars28 said:
Maybe you can consider a temp agency. They can find jobs for you in the science field for a year or six months.....

where can we find out about such agencies ? thanks 🙂
 
I would suggest looking in search engines on the internet for temp agencies in your area... Also, monster and hotjobs usually have jobs that are posted by temp agencies as well. If you need more help, PM... Good luck!! 👍
 
use your school's career website if you live in the area. it helped me out!
 
Another job to look into is a pharmacy technician position. They make on average 12/hr. You need to get certified but some places will hire, train you, and pay for your certification exam. In the hospital, you can either work in the pharmacy or go on to the floors and deliver/refill Rx modules.

Just a thought. But with the increase in pharmacy school applicants, it might be hard to get because pre-pharms are trying to get these jobs as well.

I hope this info helps. Just another idea. Good luck to you all in the future.
 
Currently I am doing research for $10 an hour. Not much money but looks impressive to committees and is a good learning experience.
 
DrPharm said:
Another job to look into is a pharmacy technician position. They make on average 12/hr. You need to get certified but some places will hire, train you, and pay for your certification exam. In the hospital, you can either work in the pharmacy or go on to the floors and deliver/refill Rx modules.

Just a thought. But with the increase in pharmacy school applicants, it might be hard to get because pre-pharms are trying to get these jobs as well.

I hope this info helps. Just another idea. Good luck to you all in the future.

I dont know where you heard that Ptechs make 12/hour. I use to be one and quit because the pay sucked. Ill just say 12 is about twice as much as I suspuct is average.
 
Try to find a quality assurance or quality control job at a pharmaceutical company. The starting pay is pretty decent ($34000-$40000/yr) and there are more than a few positions (in the Bay Area at least) that don't require experience.
 
Uegis said:
What kind of research are they doing? I'm pretty sure its not academic if its paying that much. A lot of post-docs don't even make that much. I'm assuming its around the Bay Area right?

I am a post-graduate researcher at the UC Davis Medical Center, studying pancreatic cancer. I make 31,000 a year. Enough to get by, but not nearly enough for applications 🙁



Do you work in the new cancer center at UCDMC? I used to work at the GIMIC on Stockton Blvd way back when and saw the center get built--- pretty nifty place
 
Madhatter said:
Hi!

Would anyone be able to suggest jobs that can be done during my year off, i have a bachelors degree with a major in bio and a minor in chem. also, could u give an indication as to the salary earned for them...

Many thanks!


Research assistant (clinical) 40K Come on guys, demand more than 20-25K!!!
 
Sup all, well i have done research for 2 years and my staggering debt has grown after completing a post-bac in august so a another research job just won't cut it. I picked up a job in telecom sales making 65k starting. You can really work where ever you want as long as you continue to show interest in medicine by continuing to volunteer.

I hope you all shine like my gold teeth!!


Tooth
 
NRAI2001 said:
I have friends who got research jobs for the year between med school and grad and they are making atleast 50k a year. One of them is making almost 70k.

I also know this girl that works as a RNA and makes 20 dollars an hour.

I really want to know where these friends of yours were working and what they were doing? Since when can us crappy science grads make 50-70K a year in research fresh out of school. I'm calling bull**** on this unless you back it up. Thanks.
 
Potato! said:
I really want to know where these friends of yours were working and what they were doing? Since when can us crappy science grads make 50-70K a year in research fresh out of school. I'm calling bull**** on this unless you back it up. Thanks.
I was able to find a job paying 50 K my first year out of school as a research assistant in a large lab at Stanford Medical Center. But I did have quite a bit research experience as an undergrad and the salary may have been adjusted for the high cost of living in the area.
 
Potato! said:
I really want to know where these friends of yours were working and what they were doing? Since when can us crappy science grads make 50-70K a year in research fresh out of school. I'm calling bull**** on this unless you back it up. Thanks.

I can answer this, because I am making that much straight out of college. I am a contractor at the NIH, and there are several different contracting agencies here that hire for contract positions since the government has basically stopped direct hiring of federal employees here by more than half. I actually have a BA, however I did do some research as an undergrad. I told my boss straight up that I would be going back to school, and he did not even blink an eye (applying to dental school this app cycle). so, the best news for all of you MD hopefulls, is that there is a constantly changing staff here due to length of fellowships for government employees and no one really expects you to make a career here. So, in summation, yes, you can make at least 50K is you are willing to make a move to the east coast, and yes, you can boost you resumes some more in the meantime.
good luck everyone!
 
Hey,
Can you possibly let me know where to go and who to speak to to apply for these kind of positions. Something more than just saying who to speak to. Like a link or something would help? even an email address? thanks so much for reading this!


ddshopeful said:
I can answer this, because I am making that much straight out of college. I am a contractor at the NIH, and there are several different contracting agencies here that hire for contract positions since the government has basically stopped direct hiring of federal employees here by more than half. I actually have a BA, however I did do some research as an undergrad. I told my boss straight up that I would be going back to school, and he did not even blink an eye (applying to dental school this app cycle). so, the best news for all of you MD hopefulls, is that there is a constantly changing staff here due to length of fellowships for government employees and no one really expects you to make a career here. So, in summation, yes, you can make at least 50K is you are willing to make a move to the east coast, and yes, you can boost you resumes some more in the meantime.
good luck everyone!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
sbp26 said:
Hey,
I live in Philadelphia, PA. I don't think I will get into med school this year. So i will have a year off when I graduate in June. Can you possibly let me know where to go and who to speak to to apply for these kind of positions. Something more than just saying who to speak to. Like a link or something would help? even an email address? thanks so much for reading this!

Sanjiv patel
www.biospace.com
on the left hand side there will be a list under "hotbed communities"
for anything in pennsylvania go to BioPenn
 
ByrnBabyBryn,

Wow, you're making good money. I'm very impressed. I'm working in Vancouver, Canada and I had 2 full years of full-time work at large pharmaceutical companies during my undergrad. This was worth absolutely nothing as I had to basically beg this one company to hire me after my undergrad for 30K Canadian. There are no freakin' jobs where I am and about 2000 science grads each year. When you say you're a research assistant, what exactly do you do? I imagine you just do typical research assistant type work, but why do you get paid so much, that's awesome!

ddshopeful!!! ---> Wow, freakin' good money too! I want to get in on some of that. So what exactly do you do as a contractor for the NIH. What city do you work in, if you don't mind me asking? Lastly, do you know of an internet link or anything like that, that may have postings/descriptions from the NIH of your type of job. Or any type of job I could get with 2.5 years of research experiences where I can make decent money?

I'm just so astounded that you guys are making 50K a year, US dollars too! Nice work.
 
Potato! said:
ByrnBabyBryn,

Wow, you're making good money. I'm very impressed. I'm working in Vancouver, Canada and I had 2 full years of full-time work at large pharmaceutical companies during my undergrad. This was worth absolutely nothing as I had to basically beg this one company to hire me after my undergrad for 30K Canadian. There are no freakin' jobs where I am and about 2000 science grads each year. When you say you're a research assistant, what exactly do you do? I imagine you just do typical research assistant type work, but why do you get paid so much, that's awesome!
Well, I'm not working anymore but the job was mainly just doing experiments. A lot of PCR, protein purification, all kinds of DNA work, assays, cell culture. I also had to do a lot of work with our lab's animals....breeding experiments, dissection, injecting them, sacrificing. But while it might seem my salary was high, I honestly think it was because the SF Bay Area is an expensive as hell place to live.
 
ByrnBabyByrn said:
Well, I'm not working anymore but the job was mainly just doing experiments. A lot of PCR, protein purification, all kinds of DNA work, assays, cell culture. I also had to do a lot of work with our lab's animals....breeding experiments, dissection, injecting them, sacrificing. But while it might seem my salary was high, I honestly think it was because the SF Bay Area is an expensive as hell place to live.

Would you say that your salary was typical of the salaries of your peers who were working the same type of job (with similar experience)? If so, man, I need to look into working down in Cali. I'm a dual citizen, and if I can make 50K USD a year, then I should go down there, live cheap and come back up here with some respectable savings. Thanks for letting me know! Also, do you know if the pay is more or less in the biotech industry (as oppose to academia) in your area?
 
I worked as a Dialysis Technician during my year off. I got paid $11/hr plus benefits. When I interviewed I mentioned that I was thinking about medical school in the future. I didn't say that I was reapplying for the following year and would quit if I was accepted. I knew about a month ahead of time when my interview was, so I just told them I needed the day off. I don't think it's a good idea to tell any boss you're interviewing for something else, whether it be another job or med school. That's just me though.

I think my work as a technician really helped my application. I was able to say in my interview that I had a lot of patient interactions, learned to work well with nurses, and was able to observe doctor/patient interactions. I also can stick people with needles and know that the sight of blood doesn't make me queasy.

Personally, I think it's important to get a job where you're involved with patients if you want to go into any medical field besides research. Doing research is great and all, but it can't teach you how to deal with people. Supposedly the best docs aren't necessarily the smartest/brightest, but they have the best people skills and bedside manner. I would advise anyone applying to med school to get some kind of hospital experience because it really helped my application greatly.