Jobs during undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gerrybrown82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
just curious to see how many people had jobs during their undergrad and what was their GPA.........

Members don't see this ad.

I worked part-time (10 hours a week). My grades didn't suffer in the least. I was also heavily involved in a non-profit organization (I'm currently the President), as well as various clubs on campus, including our residence halls student government

I worked full time for my first couple years of undergrad and basically my grades suffered. I returned to school this semester and work part time and I'm doing a lot better in school. No C's this semester so far!

It's all about time management though. Also, I wasn't focused on school when I went into undergrad directly from high school. I had no idea what I was doing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had(have) two jobs and work about 40 hrs/week between them. I have a 3.5 but I think it would have certainly been higher had I not had to work.

I worked 50 hrs+ per week the first 3 years, but I only took 12 units per semester at a community college.
Then I was at about 40 for one year, now I am at about 30.

My GPA is 3.67 over 100 units.

Last edited:
i worked ~16 hrs/wk freshman yr which slowly dwindled down to ~6-8hrs/wk junior year and then 10hrs/wk senior year.

My GPA was 3.6ish ....I don't think my grades suffered but my sleep schedule and social life might have suffered a bit. Honestly, looking back I would say don't go overboard....I think working is good, builds character and teaches you how to interact with coworkers in the real world (or other useful skills like teaching in the case of tutoring) but unless you absolutely NEED to work to support yourself then it's probably in your best interest to keep it to a minimum. Use the time instead to enjoy college or catch up on sleep.

I worked at my school, teaching review classes for general chemistry. It worked out to about 15 hrs/week and I did it for 3 of the 5 years I spent in undergrad. My GPA was good enough to get me into medical school :) I don't think the job affected my GPA one bit, and I'm sure it helped in terms of the MCAT (I really didn't need to study the gen chem stuff at all which gave me more time to work on the other subjects).

just curious to see how many people had jobs during their undergrad and what was their GPA.........

Sophmore year, worked 22 hrs/wk as math/physics tutor and grader for physics class. Senior year, worked 15 hrs/wk during school at a night job as photo tech. Worked 40+ hrs/wk during breaks. It wasn't just my jobs that ate up my time, as my ECs. For instance, in senior year, worked 15 hours/wk, did research 15+ hrs/wk, heavily involved in 2 clubs 5-10 hrs/wk, volunteered 4 hrs/wk (that's like 39-44+ hrs/wk outside of my schoolwork). Maintained a 3.99GPA. It's definitely possible to work and do school as long as you keep up with everything... I just didn't have much of a life lol (no weekends during my senior year).

Now I'm working full time in a research lab (40+ hrs/wk) and studying for my MCAT... I'm sure my score will suffer...

I worked around ~15 hr/week my first year, ~20 hr/week my second and third, and ~25 hr/week this year. They aren't/haven't been super demanding jobs, but time management was crucial throughout my college time. I managed to keep a 4.0 through all of it though.

worked for a month my first year...couldnt find a job since...its now my 4th year and i have a 3.9 (maybe not getting a job was a good thing for me :)

20 hours a week my senior yr. also had pneumonia for about two months. ended up getting a 3.9 for the year.

Didn't have a job. Live with my parents, so that's covered, at least until i start making some money as an m.d. I suppose it depends on the situation, like if you're one of those folks who goes to a private institution, then tuition is sky high.

worked as a research assistant (20 hrs. per week) for a bunch of different mentors, full time student, single parent, GPA suffered. No regrets. If you need to work then you need to work, there's no way around that. Time management and prioritizing is key. I sometimes wonder if premeds tack on difficult classes and long working hrs. to prove they can handle a stressful load and in the end find out somethings going to give. :scared:

I worked about 10 hours per week during undergrad and my final GPA was 3.70.

Had 2 jobs for the last 3 years of UG....office assistant and lab TA, about 10 h/wk total, because that's all the bursar allowed us to work. But I basically sat there and did hw the whole time, or facebook, or sleep :smuggrin: I always seem to land cushy jobs. gpa was about 3.8

first year of community college, I took 12 hours and worked 40 hours a week. GPA was horrible... worked summers only for two years after I transfered to a 4-year school...then worked two to three - 24-hr shifts a week as an EMT during my senior year, taking around 13 credits...grades went up drastically and had a lot of fun.

Grades are funny. I graduated with about a 3.7 (honestly, I don't remember exactly what it was anymore) and only worked part-time (~15-20 hours as an RA) as a senior. However, my senior year was easily my best year GPA-wise (over 3.9) even though I had more to do that year than any other (disclosure: I worked for a year after undergrad and applied to medical school at that time, so I wasn't traveling).

I think most people can probably handle a part-time job fine in undergraduate, but full-time may be a different thing altogether.

Worked a few part-timers over the course of undergrad. 15 hours/week the first three years, last year 5-10 hours/week. My most time-consuming job was my 2 years as an RA, but I'm sure those helped with my med school app. You also have to factor in all the clubs and random activities you have to be a part of to get into med school...I'm enjoying my last semester with no job and no BS pre-med activities right now though!

I didn't work my first 2 years of college and kept about a 3.8-ish GPA. I got a job as a CNA working 32-40+ hours a week during my 3rd and 4th year, taking at least 15 credits per semester and still kept the same GPA. In fact, I currently have a 3.9. It really does have to do with time management (and not having a huge social life, which is totally fine by me).

I worked part-time (20 hrs) all throughout undergrad, with the exception of freshman year. I also got my lowest gpa my freshman year. It was due to a combination of having so much idle time and lack of self discipline. The three years that I worked I always got at least a 3.75 gpa each semester.
If I had a choice though I would not have worked throughout undergrad at all. Instead I would have devoted my time to school orgs such as volunteering, greek life, etc. Too bad I didn't have a choice. :cool: