Jobs to work before PT school starts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Road2PT-MK

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know that many of us who applied this application cycle are either stressed out waiting to hear back from a program or have already heard back (congrats!). Depending on your program, school may start either in the early summer or the fall, which is still some months from now, so until that time what are some jobs you all are working to save up and prepare for grad school? I figure most applicants like myself will have to take out loans or use some type of financial aid to pay for PT school, but having some extra cash going in can go a long way, I feel.

I currently work as a rehab tech at a hospital, and while its an excellent way to gain experience in the field, it's not exactly the best way to save up ahead of grad school. I was thinking about getting another job to complement my tech position but I've struggled to come up with ideas. I was hoping I could get some insight from either applicants or current DPT students on some short term job ideas. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Organ Vendor
2. Ponzi Scheme CEO
3. Inherit money from a rich relative that dies mysteriously quickly.

I only jest, but if you're already working as a rehab tech, then the only other ways to save up extra would be to maybe get a weekend job like Uber or Lyft or, if you know certain products, you can buy and sell stuff on Craigslist (buy low, sell market value or a bit higher).

I also currently work as a PT Aide but I refurbish bicycles on the side which brings some extra cash flow.

I also agree, a second job on the weekends or whenever you have free time would be the best option. If you are looking for a a job before attending school, there are few that offer major benefits for those that can only work till the summer of fall. Many of my PT hours were volunteer (non paid), and I felt that trying to get an aid job isn't worth my time or the PT's time as they are mostly looking for a more "permanent" position (I had 4-5 months until school). Instead, I looked for other jobs on a general job search site. I am working part time at a restaurant and part time tutoring grade school kids. Gotta do what you gotta do. If its that important that you make as much money as possible, you WILL find a way to make it work. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's all really good advice. I also was in between getting second tech job or just something else entirely. A tech job i can get easier because I already have direct experience in the field but it's in essence like me working more hours at my current job. If I get a job in something else entirely that would probably yield the greater benefit, if I choose wisely but it just has to be something that won't drive me crazy for these next some odd months (I've had some bad job experiences lol).

While it is great to have some sort of training/work experience in your field, I found it very tough to actually stick to one place. One of my teachers told me about all the travelling around that PTs/OTs get to do and I already had high hopes by the time I started looking for a temporary job. PT experience didn't work out well for long and I had to get back to a much simpler job not-at-all related to my field (restaurant). I know it might sound like a bad advice the way I've said it but I must add that once you understand the basics that we must do in the field, it is better to switch to a different job for the time before you start looking for a permanent position.

I'm in a similar boat, looking for temporary part-time-ish work for before PT school starts, and this is what I've come up with:

-Advertise yourself as a private tutor (flexible, decent pay/hour)
-Get a Per Diem or Relief job at a local hospital or other inpatient facility. (PT Tech, Patient Safety Attendant, other patient care support role.) Typically flexible and Per Diem tends to pay more per hour than a full time gig. Also, turnover is prolly higher with Per Diem stuff anyways, so I'm guessing it will be less of an issue if you leave after 6 months than if you took on a new full time position.
-Medical Scribing
-Restaurant or Retail work
-Sign up with a temp agency to do temp work (admin/secretarial work, serving for catering gigs, etc)
-Some sort of paid internship in your field

Along with my pt aide job I often drive for uber or Lyft to make extra money for school. It's also something you can do in your own time during school since you drive whenever you want to. If your car isn't new enough, you could also serve for doordash to deliver food or other driving services. Quick cash and no commitment to a job.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

How is Doordash? Because I've considered driving for UberEats but I wasn't sure about it.

I haven't worked with doordash but my friend said it was easy. As long as they offer it in your area and you avoid busy traffic times, then you can get a lot of orders completed fast.

I haven't worked with doordash but my friend said it was easy. As long as they offer it in your area and you avoid busy traffic times, then you can get a lot of orders completed fast.

Ok I gotcha. Right now I'm currently in between working at a restaurant part time and just getting a second tech position. I'm leaning towards the former to be honest.