Johns Hopkins Biotechnology MS or UMDNJ GSBS. Who's it gonna be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Resonance

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having a tough time deciding between the MS programs at UMDNJ (GSBS) and Johns Hopkins (Biotechnologies).

The JHU program is part time and can be partially completed with online courses, allowing me to continue to work full-time in a dental school research lab. My concern is, will a part time course load and a full-time research position along with my DAT (BIO 22, GC 25, OC 19, PAT 18, RC 20, QR 19, AA 21, TS 21), a 2.91 GPA (3.63 last two years of undergrad), a 3.19 sGPA be, numerous volunteer hours and other ExC be enough to convince the adcoms that I belong. I was told by one dean of admissions that because it is JHU, the committee would not have a concern about some of the courses being taken online, but that does not mean all the schools feel that way.

UMDNJ is a one-year full-time program and allows me to take dental physiology and dental biochem with the D1 students. My concerns about this program is that if I am not accepted to dental school during this cycle, come next September I will find myself without a job and an additional $50,000 of debt (compared to part time at JHU) staring down a third dental school application.

My decision is holding up my application and I am really running out of time. Any incite is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.