Would it be acceptable to request a letter of recommendation from a co-worker who is a also a university professor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwawayacc2

Reaction score
During my summer job I work with a college professor who works at a university I want to do a masters at. Would it be a good idea to request a letter of recommendation from him? To my understanding a letter from a co-worker isn't recommended but I'm curious to know if his position of being a professor balances that out. Sort've a grey zone.

Members don't see this ad.

During my summer job I work with a college professor who works at a university I want to do a masters at. Would it be a good idea to request a letter of recommendation from him? To my understanding a letter from a co-worker isn't recommended but I'm curious to know if his position of being a professor balances that out. Sort've a grey zone.
I guess I don't quite understand the relationship that you work with but not necessarily "for" a professor... why not ask the professor and see if they think it is proper?

I guess I don't quite understand the relationship that you work with but not necessarily "for" a professor... why not ask the professor and see if they think it is proper?
We worked on a golf course together during the summer. His main job is that of a professor.
I did contact him and he said he'd be happy to do so.

We worked on a golf course together during the summer. His main job is that of a professor.
I did contact him and he said he'd be happy to do so.
As a character reference, that would be okay. There is more impact if you had a more traditional faculty-student rapport so it doesn't count as a "professor letter" in that sense.