'Johns Hopkins has first black female neurosurgeon resident'

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I heard she only had a step score of 260. Smh

Her board score is weak but 34 publications probably made up for it. How the **** does one get 34 publications in medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
But it isn't normal. I am not sure why people still find it surprising that a group that was discriminated against for much of America's history is still playing catchup. More stories like this can uplift and inspire more black students.
"I hope to be able to go back to Ghana over the course of my career to help in building sustainable surgical infrastructure."
Abu-Bonsrah lived in Ghana until she was 15.

Have you ever heard of stereotype threat?

"I hope to be able to go back to Ghana over the course of my career to help in building sustainable surgical infrastructure."
Abu-Bonsrah lived in Ghana until she was 15.

Have you ever heard of stereotype threat?

So stereotype threat is the issue not the fact that most African Americans and other blacks tend to have greater barrier to access quality education and other services? Stereotype threat is also a bigger factor than prejudice and discrimination?

Must be nice living in your colorblind world.

Reactions: 1 users
So stereotype threat is the issue not the fact that most African Americans and other blacks tend to have greater barrier to access quality education and other services? Stereotype threat is also a bigger factor than prejudice and discrimination?

Must be nice living in your colorblind world.
Sure that lady is tired of people going to Ghana and discriminating against Ghanaians in Ghana.

But it isn't normal. I am not sure why people still find it surprising that a group that was discriminated against for much of America's history is still playing catchup. More stories like this can uplift and inspire more black students.

In America, maybe not normal. Places like Ghana and Nigeria however, its more common for every one and their brother to be a doctor, lawyer or engineer. It's what mom and dad approve of. Still, John Hopkins, that's huge.

Reactions: 3 users
In America, maybe not normal. Places like Ghana and Nigeria however, its more common for every one and their brother to be a doctor, lawyer or engineer. It's what mom and dad approve of. Still, John Hopkins, that's huge.

Exactly. Which is wish AMCAS didn't group African Americans and African/Carribean immigrants together. I really wanna see how many African American kids we are sending to med school.

Reactions: 10 users
Exactly. Which is wish AMCAS didn't group African Americans and African/Carribean immigrants together. I really wanna see how many African American kids we are sending to med school.

I agree with this so much. Congrats and props to her for landing such a sought after residency. Though her path of college to professional school is very traditional for African immigrants. Working with a foundation that mentors and encourages black lower socioeconomic high school & college students to enter the medical field, I see first hand how the stories that excite them most are the ones of the doctors who are from their neighborhoods. This story, while exceptional I personally would not consider as an example of URM success for the black citizen of America.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My take is that I'm happy for her, but this article and every other one I've read revolve entirely around the fact that she's an african american female, you think when talking about someone who is that far along into a professional career there would be more mention of literally anything else like her credentials, previous achievements, experience, even her immigration status. Seems like a cheap article that reduced the accomplishments of an aspiring young woman to nothing more than race and gender sensationalism.

Reactions: 12 users
My take is that I'm happy for her, but this article and every other one I've read revolve entirely around the fact that she's an african american female, you think when talking about someone who is that far along into a professional career there would be more mention of literally anything else like her credentials, previous achievements, experience, even her immigration status. Seems like a cheap article that reduced the accomplishments of an aspiring young woman to nothing more than race and gender sensationalism.
Yes, THIS. I too am happy for her.

Reactions: 1 user
While I see your point, the people for whom the message was for need it that way. The point is not that a woman, or a person got in, (both of which have been done before and often) it is that an African-American woman got in. You don't see that everyday. Look at her own instagram post there, she herself celebrates as an AA who got in. It is like people emphasizing that Obama was a black president. It is a big deal.

While I see your point, the people for whom the message was for need it that way. The point is not that a woman, or a person got in, (both of which have been done before and often) it is that an African-American woman got in. You don't see that everyday. Look at her own instagram post there, she herself celebrates as an AA who got in. It is like people emphasizing that Obama was a black president. It is a big deal.

Is she the first African American to match into neurosurgery or the first at a single program? The former, I can understand being a big deal. Trying to sensationalize that a program that takes 3 residents per year finally matched an AA female is a bit silly.

I facebook messaged the CNN story to the first AA female to match integrated vascular surgery (friend of mine) and asked if we should try to get her press, albeit several years late. She promptly told me that CNN can go **** themselves.

Reactions: 9 users
Is she the first African American to match into neurosurgery or the first at a single program? The former, I can understand being a big deal. Trying to sensationalize that a program that takes 3 residents per year finally matched an AA female is a bit silly.

I facebook messaged the CNN story to the first AA female to match integrated vascular surgery (friend of mine) and asked if we should try to get her press, albeit several years late. She promptly told me that CNN can go **** themselves.

None of that matters, and one man's silly is another man's inspiration. That article will mean different things to different people; some may just see it as a/n (AA) woman following her dream with no focus on specifics, and that will be enough for them.

How your friend feels is how she feels. One person. AAs are not the same; they feel differently and react differently to the same situation so not sure what she has to do with anything. There is no right or wrong way to feel.

There are people who need the story as it was told and there are people who want to tell their story. In a world where AAs are still trying to find their place, and when they are in the news, it is usually not for reasons such as these, we can suck up one news article without b******* about it.

Agree with above. LOL @ trying to use how your one black associate feels about something to justify your own opinions/feelings. "I'm right because my black friend agrees!!!!!!" Lmao cut that **** out. It's weird.

Hopkins should be ashamed that it took this long. But it's an accomplishment nonetheless. Let people celebrate it.

Reactions: 2 users

Exactly, it's not like John's Hopkins has been a historically racist or sexist institution and they've suddenly seen the light, the fact that she's the first there is purely coincidental. If anything the pressure for affirmative action only makes it even less surprising.

Agree with above. LOL @ trying to use how your one black associate feels about something to justify your own opinions/feelings. "I'm right because my black friend agrees!!!!!!" Lmao cut that **** out. It's weird.

Hopkins should be ashamed that it took this long. But it's an accomplishment nonetheless. Let people celebrate it.

I think you're misinterpreting his/her point. Again the skin color and gender are coincidental, in this scenario he's just providing a comparable example. The point is, articles like this are sensationalism and make her accomplishment appear cheap to people who know the process and to people who don't it just fans a flame that shouldn't be present in 2017. Unless you really believe that there are residency programs out there that discriminate race, religion, gender, etc.

Last edited:
I think you're misinterpreting his/her point. Again the skin color and gender are coincidental, in this scenario he's just providing a comparable example. The point is, articles like this are sensationalism and make her accomplishment appear cheap to people who know the process and to people who don't it just fans a flame that shouldn't be present in 2017. Unless you really believe that there are residency programs out there that discriminate race, religion, gender, etc.

I'm not misinterpreting anything. He specifically used the example of sending the article to the first black female resident to match integrated vascular surgery, because her race/gender/accomplishments are parallel. My comment still stands. Stop using your black friends/family/associates as proof to back up your opinion (in this case, he thought the article was silly, his black colleague thought it was silly too...therefore it must be silly).

And if you don't believe institutions, residences or other jobs, have lingering forms of discrimination, then you're naive and I can't help you with that buddy. Yikes!

I'm not misinterpreting anything. He specifically used the example of sending the article to the first black female resident to match integrated vascular surgery, because her race/gender/accomplishments are parallel. My comment still stands. Stop using your black friends/family/associates as proof to back up your opinion (in this case, he thought the article was silly, his black colleague thought it was silly too...therefore it must be silly).

And if you don't believe institutions, residences or other jobs, have lingering forms of discrimination, then you're naive and I can't help you with that buddy. Yikes!

I'm certainly beyond your help then lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I honestly feel happy for her, but this is simply not the right attitude to take. Unless you can prove blatant racism on the part of a residency program, this statement is unfounded. Does every program in every specialty have to accept a resident in every bracket of the U.S. Census until no one's under scrutiny?

I'm not white, if I have to say it.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm not trying to be a jerk, I honestly feel happy for her, but this is simply not the right attitude to take. Unless you can prove blatant racism on the part of a residency program, this statement is unfounded. Does every program in every specialty have to accept a resident in every bracket of the U.S. Census until no one's under scrutiny?

I'm not white, if I have to say it.

You didn't have to say it. And that is not what I said. Hopkins is located in Baltimore, MD. In the midst of a vast black patient population and little black school kids that wanna grow up and be just like the doctors they've seen/heard about at the Ivory tower. Representation matters and it will always matter. For 2017 to be the first time a black female neurosurgery resident matched to Hopkins is a little ridiculous to me. I find it hard to believe no black female M4 neurosurgery hopeful has ever interviewed at/ranked Hopkins until this past cycle. Could be wrong though.

You didn't have to say it. And that is not what I said. Hopkins is located in Baltimore, MD. In the midst of a vast black patient population and little black school kids that wanna grow up and be just like the doctors they've seen/heard about at the Ivory tower. Representation matters and it will always matter. For 2017 to be the first time a black female neurosurgery resident matched to Hopkins is a little ridiculous to me. I find it hard to believe no black female M4 neurosurgery hopeful has ever interviewed at/ranked Hopkins until this past cycle. Could be wrong though.

The number of factors that prevent a newborn black girl from eventually becoming an MS4 applying to neurosurgery are infinite. Hopkins, or Drexel for that matter, are not responsible for a vast majority of them. Their only professional responsibility is to treat applicants fairly and equally. If they want to do outreach, which lots of neurosurgery departments do, they can, and that's good.

The rest of the factors are something the education and social systems need to tackle.

EDIT: I know you mean well, but this approach is never going to solve the real problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Or maybe like in many other situations, we rely too much on a reactionary approach. Maybe instead you should say, jeez it's a shame those kids have a tough time and worry about the public education system at that level.

And to be even more compromising, I'll say I'm all for affirmative action. To a responsible extent. To give a kid a chance at an undergrad degree, hell yeah give those kids from that socioethnic background a break (even if it means similarly disadvantaged rural communities get shafted). But once you move past undergraduate studies and start talking about getting deeper into professional degrees, those people already have something most Americans don't in a college education and it is overkill to continue giving preference based on a statistical reality that there are simply less numbers of qualified applicants from certain backgrounds. Your statement is rediculous and if all adcoms thought like you they'd say things like "Jesus it's been 3 years since we matched a Muslim black man from south of the mason dixon line we have to take this guy even though his test scores are dismal".

It is not shameful at all that Johns Hopkins just happened to finally get an applicant who qualified to match that just happened to be black and a woman.

None of that matters, and one man's silly is another man's inspiration. That article will mean different things to different people; some may just see it as a/n (AA) woman following her dream with no focus on specifics, and that will be enough for them.

How your friend feels is how she feels. One person. AAs are not the same; they feel differently and react differently to the same situation so not sure what she has to do with anything. There is no right or wrong way to feel.

There are people who need the story as it was told and there are people who want to tell their story. In a world where AAs are still trying to find their place, and when they are in the news, it is usually not for reasons such as these, we can suck up one news article without b******* about it.

You think that I am trying to use an anecdote to "justify" my opinion? I can't tell if you guys are being intentionally obtuse or simply argumentative.

I have a hard time imagining @SValley having any actual understanding of medical school, residency, the match or anything else related to this, and given the complete and total aggressive/non-discussion direction they seem to always want to go in, I'll simply exit. Seems like a waste of time and energy. Here is a hint, if you are going to quote someone, make sure they actually said what you say they said, otherwise you look like a *****.

Reactions: 8 users
The number of factors that prevent a newborn black girl from eventually becoming an MS4 applying to neurosurgery are infinite. Hopkins, or Drexel for that matter, are not responsible for a vast majority of them. Their only professional responsibility is to treat applicants fairly and equally. If they want to do outreach, which lots of neurosurgery departments do, they can, and that's good.

The rest of the factors are something the education and social systems need to tackle.

Lol yes..and umm...I agree with you........but that entire first paragraph had nothing to do with a scenario where black female m4s apply to/interview at/rank Hopkins & 2017 being the first time there's a match. But I'm not about to write in circles. Like. Lol

Lol yes..and umm...I agree with you........but that entire first paragraph had nothing to do with a scenario where black female m4s apply to/interview at/rank Hopkins & 2017 being the first time there's a match. But I'm not about to write in circles. Like. Lol

Read it again. MCAT Verbal time, or CARS whatever you call it.

You think that I am trying to use an anecdote to "justify" my opinion? I can't tell if you guys are being intentionally obtuse or simply argumentative.

I have a hard time imagining @SValley having any actual understanding of medical school, residency, the match or anything else related to this, and given the complete and total aggressive/non-discussion direction they seem to always want to go in, I'll simply exit. Seems like a waste of time and energy. Here is a hint, if you are going to quote someone, make sure they actually said what you say they said, otherwise you look like a *****.

LOL HUH???? You gotta evaluate why you're so upset here, Mimelim. You're angry because I'm pointing out your awkward thought process? You're the one who brought up your "friend of yours," not I. But I think you taking your exit is best. :)

How am I being obtuse or argumentative? All I said is your n=1 anecdote is just that, n= 1. How that makes me obtuse or argumentative you will have to explain

OP right now
eb6140942424697bf997986aac9b2d682cd18a18fe192e4f81ba32f17b629a24.jpg

LOL HUH???? You gotta evaluate why you're so upset here, Mimelim. You're angry because I'm pointing out your awkward thought process? You're the one who brought up your "friend of yours," not I. But I think you taking your exit is best. :)

I just bust out laughing from the obscenity of your misguided passive aggressiveness. Of the two of you he's the only one who presented supporting arguments. You're just aggressively spewing your opinions at us.

OP right now
eb6140942424697bf997986aac9b2d682cd18a18fe192e4f81ba32f17b629a24.jpg

aaaaaaaaannnd there it is! OP wins. Interestingly enough, johnny hop had the youngest chief of peds nsgy in the 80s, who happened to be black.

Obscenity? "Aggressively spewing opinions"? "Svalley doesn't know ANYTHING about medical school, residency or the match!!!!!" lol I'm really thrown by the sensitivity & how triggered all of the responses are. It's incredible. What will make it better? A virtual hug? An apology? Like idgi.

aaaaaaaaannnd there it is! OP wins. Interestingly enough, johnny hop had the youngest chief of peds nsgy in the 80s, who happened to be black.
Phrased another way, Ben Carson was the youngest chief of peds nsgy at Hopkins.

Obscenity? "Aggressively spewing opinions"? "Svalley doesn't know ANYTHING about medical school, residency or the match!!!!!" lol I'm really thrown by the sensitivity & how triggered all of the responses are. It's incredible. What will make it better? A virtual hug? An apology? Like idgi.

You seem angry. Might I suggest some coloring book therapy? Or maybe just trying to learn to work well with others?

How am I being obtuse or argumentative? All I said is your n=1 anecdote is just that, n= 1. How that makes me obtuse or argumentative you will have to explain

Okay, let me spell it out.

Well, for starters, I shared an experience that I had. I certainly didn't use it to further any points or argue anything, especially since it was completely disconnected from the rest of my post and had zero relation whatsoever.

#1 How your friend feels is how she feels. One person. AAs are not the same; they feel differently and react differently to the same situation so not sure what she has to do with anything. There is no right or wrong way to feel. Never claimed otherwise.
#2 LOL @ trying to use how your one black associate feels about something to justify your own opinions/feelings. Didn't do that either.
#3 Stop using your black friends/family/associates as proof to back up your opinion (in this case, he thought the article was silly, his black colleague thought it was silly too...therefore it must be silly) Didn't do that either

I sent this article to a friend of mine because I was curious how they would react since it could have easily been about them. I found her reaction amusing, so I shared it. I didn't claim anything based on it. I didn't use it as an argument for anything. You misinterpreted it, sure. Clearly it triggered @SValley since they are now raving all over the thread and basically making **** up left and right to keep stoking the flames. Not sure what they are so angry about.

Never change SDN, never change.

im angry, vascular surgery is yelling up and down that I don't know anything about med school, B5 keeps typing useless paragraphs at me, while I'm aggressively spewing opinions at everyone. SDN is a beautiful thing lol it really is.

EDIT: B5, seriously lol leave me alone. It's getting a lil creepy.

Last edited:
im angry, vascular surgery is yelling up and down that I don't know anything about med school, B5 keeps typing useless paragraphs at me, while I'm aggressively spewing opinions at everyone. SDN is beautiful thing lol it really is.
I mean he is a verified physician and you're an unconfirmed medical school matriculate like myself. So yeah you, like I, know very little about the process down the road beyond whatever we've been able to research from the outside. I would love to see how you react to getting pimped on rounds someday. The trainwreck would be incredible

I see so many African by ethnicity students at my medical school who went to the same high school, lived in the same neighborhood as me, and in effect had the same upbringing who I know were recruited for diversity. I don't get what's so hard about separating those students from African American students. Admin is getting better at it though.

I see so many African by ethnicity students at my medical school who went to the same high school, lived in the same neighborhood as me, and in effect had the same upbringing who I know were recruited for diversity. I don't get what's so hard about separating those students from African American students. Admin is getting better at it though.
Tell that to the Asians.

I swear this lowkey bothers me It's so petty. By the time she moved from Ghana (West Africa) to the US at 15 she probably was almost graduating high school. I think most people from our corner of the world would still classify her as Ghanaian ‍♀️

This to me is why I feel it doesn't have the impact that "allies" and others think it will. I'm in the trenches with these kids all over the city and there are better ways to inspire and support. This article is a drop in the bucket and its acclaim as a source of inspiration as a "role model" is vastly overrated. Enough of hoisting up singular individuals that aren't having any impact in these lower socioeconomic neighborhoods, the kids want action and interaction.

im angry, vascular surgery is yelling up and down that I don't know anything about med school, B5 keeps typing useless paragraphs at me, while I'm aggressively spewing opinions at everyone. SDN is a beautiful thing lol it really is.

EDIT: B5, seriously lol leave me alone. It's getting a lil creepy.
you don't take adversity very well do you. Just because you made yourself look silly in an argument doesn't mean you can turn it around by attacking my character. This is an online message board and you're loosing your cool in a very apparent way. I feel very sorry for you when you have to encounter real life arguments.