Johns Hopkins (JHU) 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreenMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting a thread for the current year's Hopkins Post-bac program!

I was excited to learn today that I've been accepted to the program. I think the real strengths are the clinical experiences that Hopkins offers and the quality of the advising. I would love to hear from current students about their experiences (positive or negative) and from other accepted students who are decided or deciding on this program.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be there on May 29. Before accepting my offer, I sent PMs to some SDNers who had attended the program and got in response some good, overall positive, views on the program.

Hello.I am applying to UC post baccs because I want to go back to California, but I am working at Johns Hopkins at the moment. Hopkins is an amazing school, BUT be prepared for Baltimore. It's such and ugly and unsafe city, so please make sure you find yourself a nice apartment away fro the worst parts of town. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the warning... what are the particular areas that you would avoid and which would you consider comfortable, safe and interesting (fun restaurants, shops, etc.)?

I would like to be near to the Homewood campus, but what do you think of the neighborhoods around there? Are there any other neighborhoods with very easy public transportation to the Homewood area that you were recommend over right-next-to-campus?

If you don't mind answer, I'm wonder what your stats and background were that got you accepted in to the program?

Thanks for the warning... what are the particular areas that you would avoid and which would you consider comfortable, safe and interesting (fun restaurants, shops, etc.)?

I would like to be near to the Homewood campus, but what do you think of the neighborhoods around there? Are there any other neighborhoods with very easy public transportation to the Homewood area that you were recommend over right-next-to-campus?
I live by the Hopkins campus, which is a nice area, so definitely look around there. The Halstead at Guilford is a nice place, and they offer discounts for post baccs. My roommate was a hopkins post bac and the advisor for the program helped her find housing, so I would suggest contacting her. But definitely beware of Baltimore, it's a very scary place- but Homewood is safe and they have a great shuttle service to the medical center.
If you want to live in an area near shops and restaurants, homewood isn't the place for you. I would look around federal hill, fells point, and hampden. There is not easy transportation though. If you dont' have a car, live in the homewood area. Just don't go below ~27th street.

Congrats to the OP for the acceptance. I just received an acceptance letter as well, although I won't be deciding until I hear back from other programs I've interviewed at.

I was actually a Hopkins undergrad, so I'm very familiar with the area. As others have said, anything between penn station and 27th st is somewhat sketchy. The residences directly to the east of the Homewood campus are safe, affordable, and obviously convenient. Keep in mind, though, that many undergrads live around there, so come Thursday or Saturday night, there will be lots of noise on the streets late into the evening.

Directly north of campus are several nice apartment buildings that house students, and many grad students. They are a bit further out of the way, but only by about 5 minutes. If you're looking for other locations in bmore that are easily accessible from Homewood, look no further than Mt. Vernon, near the peabody campus. Lots of students live around there, and there are plenty of restaurants, shops, bars, etc. Hopkins runs a free shuttle called the JHMI (google it) that runs between Homewood and the hospital, stopping at penn station and peabody along the way. It is the best (free) way to get around.

Hope that helps!

For those of you who have already received acceptance letters, when did you interview at Johns Hopkins? I just interviewed recently and I am anxious to hear back!

Hey all- accepted in likely going to attend, starting in May!

I interviewed on the 13th, and heard back on the 15th (crazy, right?).