Johns Hopkins MHA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frali

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed a few people have been accepted to and will be attending the Johns Hopkins MHA program. I will also be attending the program and I have been asking my contacts for anyone I can discuss the program with. I have had no luck so far. I thought we could have a thread to discuss any information anyone can contribute to help those who will be attending the program, or just general comments etc.

One question I have is regarding the program length. I realize there is one year of coursework then one year of field experience but is the first year based on a quarter or semester system? It seems difficult to cram in all those classes in one academic year. The MHA website doesn't seem to have too much information regarding this, unless I'm not looking hard enough?

Members don't see this ad.

hey! i'm also going to hopkins this fall but for a phd. i believe jhsph (and many other schools) uses the quarter system - which, according to some friends, is a complete nightmare. On the flip side though, you will learn a lot!

The MHA program is on quarters starting at the end of August (I believe the 27th, but could be wrong) with Orientation from the 24th-26th. To be more specific on the major components of the program, just in case some don't know, the academic coursework is finished in 9 months which is followed by 11 months at an administrative residency field placement (typically if not always paid).

The first quarter, you take 6 courses, assuming you have satisfied the microeconomics requirement. If not, then that's another course but its strongly recommended you do this prior to matriculation is my understanding.

The second quarter, which finishes a couple days or a week before Christmas has 7 courses with two days off for Thanksgiving.

The third quarter you take either 6 or 7 depending on course offerings and whether you want to take an optional elective. This is the same quarter when you do interviews for the field sites and start prepping for the case competition.

The fourth and last quarter has 8 courses listed, but keep in mind that some of these are 1 units that are either seminars or for the case competition itself.

Finally, during the second year when you are doing your residency, there are three courses (to be completed via the internet).

I'll be at the open house this Friday, so hopefully we can get more info then or at least just meet other members in our cohort.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. The way you describe the program means it will be a very busy 9 months with so many courses to cover.

Unfortunately I am unable to attend the open house on Friday so any information you gather will be greatly appreciated. I am interested in knowing more about the interviews and case competition you mentioned. Is this related to the 11 month field experience? Is there anything besides the 3 online courses to be submitted/completed in the second year? Also, how helpful is the school in helping students find field placements? Are these typically in the east coast or are we open to choosing an organization/city?

Sorry for all the questions, I just haven't received much information about the program. I should be receiving an info packet in the mail hopefully with more info.

Thanks Ilovecoffee. I agree with you about the online courses and the crammed class schedule. I am actually starting to re-think my decision to go to JH MHA. Yes the second year does seem quite steep considering all classes are online and they are only 3.

Another option I have is that I was accepted into Columbia's MPH Epidemiology program, but I applied to that program before I realized I wanted to go for the MHA-type degree. I'm interested in health management rather than Epi. I was thinking I could ask them about switching concentrations--from Epi to HPM. The program is 1.5 years.

Anyways, I feel I'm in the same boat as you Ilovecoffee, but let's see how the open house goes. Talking to current students or alumni about how they felt the program is would help a lot. Some of these courses are seminars so won't necessarily have a lot of work involved.

Thanks Ilovecoffee. I agree with you about the online courses and the crammed class schedule. I am actually starting to re-think my decision to go to JH MHA. Yes the second year does seem quite steep considering all classes are online and they are only 3.

Another option I have is that I was accepted into Columbia's MPH Epidemiology program, but I applied to that program before I realized I wanted to go for the MHA-type degree. I'm interested in health management rather than Epi. I was thinking I could ask them about switching concentrations--from Epi to HPM. The program is 1.5 years.

Anyways, I feel I'm in the same boat as you Ilovecoffee, but let's see how the open house goes. Talking to current students or alumni about how they felt the program is would help a lot. Some of these courses are seminars so won't necessarily have a lot of work involved.

If you are sure about health management - I wouldn't reccomend Columbia's MPH. Where else have you been admitted? The thing about MPH - with health management as your concentration means that you take a few management courses, but your focus is mainly public health? With Columbia, Emory etc that is the case. I've spoken to students at both, and have gotten very candid responses about both - who say that if you are sure about health administration - the MHA is the way to go about it. Since when you get outta college, you will be competing with MBAs for hospital managament and consulting jobs, so with an MHA you'll be better placed.

Having said that - if UMich isnt an option for you and only Johns Hopkins is for MHA - you shud be fine job wise. They're very good about getting people the 11 month placement. which really helps when you're recruiting for full time.... but yeah, like i said before, the downside is the online classes.

To summarize, if you are deciding now between Columbia and Johns Hopkins, stick with Johns Hopkins.

I have been accepted to Columbia, UCLA, Pittsburgh, GWU, UIC--all MPH in Epi programs. JH is MHA. I realized I was more interested in health management after I applied. I agree with what you're saying about competiting with MBAs--the MHA would help me in that area.

I think I am set with Johns Hopkins MHA now, despite the online classes and insane first 9 months. Out of my options its the best one I have and I don't think I want to wait until next year to apply to MHA programs. JH is known in the health field internationally so I can't go wrong.

If you do go to the open house on Friday, can you share any pertinent information? Thanks!

If you are sure about health management - I wouldn't reccomend Columbia's MPH. Where else have you been admitted? The thing about MPH - with health management as your concentration means that you take a few management courses, but your focus is mainly public health? With Columbia, Emory etc that is the case. I've spoken to students at both, and have gotten very candid responses about both - who say that if you are sure about health administration - the MHA is the way to go about it. Since when you get outta college, you will be competing with MBAs for hospital managament and consulting jobs, so with an MHA you'll be better placed.

Having said that - if UMich isnt an option for you and only Johns Hopkins is for MHA - you shud be fine job wise. They're very good about getting people the 11 month placement. which really helps when you're recruiting for full time.... but yeah, like i said before, the downside is the online classes.

To summarize, if you are deciding now between Columbia and Johns Hopkins, stick with Johns Hopkins.

hey Frali,
I too have been accepted for MHA at Johns Hopkins for fall this year.
I hv spoken to a present student at Johns Hopkins. The first 9 months indeed are busy and there is lot to cover during those months.
But, the kind of advantage- of 11 month field experience- that one gets at Johns Hopkins is not seen elsewhere. This is probably the biggest positive aspect of Johns Hopkins.
Don't worry..... your decision of taking JHSPH is in all probabilities a good one. Johns Hopkins is one of the best place one can be in for health admin.
All the best.
Have a gr8 time.

medico9,

Thanks for the information! Do you have more information about the 11-month field experience, specifically, do students search for a placement, what is the criteria for the placement, are there resources for students when searching for a placement...I am going to give Teresea Shwartz a call and see if I can discuss these issues with her as well.

Hello ilovecoffee:

I understand where you are coming from regarding the MPH program if it is concentrating in epidemiolody. I think that teh MPH concentrating in healthcare management can be just as good/comparable to the MHA depending on the curriuculum. MPH'ers can still compete for consulting and hospital management positions. For example, MPH'ers from Yale concentraing in healthcare management, from what I hear, have strong turnouts as consultants, managers, and adminsitrators. :)
I was doing research on health administrative fellowships and saw that 2 MPH'ers from Columbia U have been chosen as health adminsitrative fellows at Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. Also, 2 MPH'ers from Emory U had been chosen as health administrative fellows: 1 is at Johns Hopkins and the other is at Boston. MPH'ers from UCLA and UC Berkely are ranked in the top 20 for health administration and alot of those students get health adminsitrative fellowships all over the country
So, I think MHA and MPH are pretty much comparable, depending on what courses are being offered and what best fits the person individually.

You make an interesting point. I have been debating the main difference between an MHA from Johns Hopkins and an MPH in Health Policy in Management from Columbia. The courses are very similiar but the difference lies in the one year field placement in JH and just a summer practicum with Columbia.

You mentioned MPH'ers from UCLA also land healthcare admin positions. What concentration allows you to do this? There is no HPM concentration in UCLA. They seem to have a smaller array of concentrations.

Hello ilovecoffee:

I understand where you are coming from regarding the MPH program if it is concentrating in epidemiolody. I think that teh MPH concentrating in healthcare management can be just as good/comparable to the MHA depending on the curriuculum. MPH'ers can still compete for consulting and hospital management positions. For example, MPH'ers from Yale concentraing in healthcare management, from what I hear, have strong turnouts as consultants, managers, and adminsitrators. :)
I was doing research on health administrative fellowships and saw that 2 MPH'ers from Columbia U have been chosen as health adminsitrative fellows at Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. Also, 2 MPH'ers from Emory U had been chosen as health administrative fellows: 1 is at Johns Hopkins and the other is at Boston. MPH'ers from UCLA and UC Berkely are ranked in the top 20 for health administration and alot of those students get health adminsitrative fellowships all over the country
So, I think MHA and MPH are pretty much comparable, depending on what courses are being offered and what best fits the person individually.

You make an interesting point. I have been debating the main difference between an MHA from Johns Hopkins and an MPH in Health Policy in Management from Columbia. The courses are very similiar but the difference lies in the one year field placement in JH and just a summer practicum with Columbia.

You mentioned MPH'ers from UCLA also land healthcare admin positions. What concentration allows you to do this? There is no HPM concentration in UCLA. They seem to have a smaller array of concentrations.

I guess you are right - it depends on the MPH program as well. With Emory - that is definately the feeling I got when I spoke to a student doing HPM - That being a "public health" degree, the focus leans towards public health, not so much managmenet/finance/accounting etc. Having said that - it also comes down to your interview/your capabilities and strengths - how strongly you can crack a consulting interview... etc... so its all relative basically.

I was not keen on Columbia is because along the way, the school has gotten jaded. I mean, from the get go, the classes are huge, i've heard of little scope of interaction with professors, not so many research opportunities. And to be very honest, I dont care too much about living in NY. So I ruled out Columbia for myself.

Anyhow - I'm STILLL down to Hopkins and UMich. For some reason, I'm not convinved in my bones about Hopkins. I mean you guys have all pointed out the strengths of the program - I agree with you all - but I'm still ambivalent about a crammed 9 months of learning. AND the 3 online classes.... oh well... I have a little more time to mull over it some more....
What are your thoughts at the moment about Hopkins.

frali - btw - about UCLA - it was an MPH/MBA combined program for which a GMAT was needed to apply. I didnt apply because i didnt give the GMAT...

Yeah Columbia (from what I've read on this forum) seems to be a school where it's easy to get lost in the crowd etc. I am more into personal contact with professors, and smaller classes. I learn better this way.

I am still concerned, like you, about the first year of coursework at Johns Hopkins. I don't know how manageable that is, but then again, I doubt many students fail the first year. I think the MHA department should give more information about the courses (how many hours per week, homework load, class sizes, etc). BUT every person I have spoken to has said to go for Johns Hopkins because of brand name. When you think of Johns Hopkins you immediately think of health. The degree would help with international work as well. It would have been nice to have attended the open house but I am trying to find out as much as I can from here.

Having said that, you learn how to become a consultant, no one can actually teach you how to be a consultant. The nine months of classes will not mould us to be consultants, it will teach us health management and business skills. What career path we choose afterwards would reflect in our field placement or even after.

I guess you are right - it depends on the MPH program as well. With Emory - that is definately the feeling I got when I spoke to a student doing HPM - That being a "public health" degree, the focus leans towards public health, not so much managmenet/finance/accounting etc. Having said that - it also comes down to your interview/your capabilities and strengths - how strongly you can crack a consulting interview... etc... so its all relative basically.

I was not keen on Columbia is because along the way, the school has gotten jaded. I mean, from the get go, the classes are huge, i've heard of little scope of interaction with professors, not so many research opportunities. And to be very honest, I dont care too much about living in NY. So I ruled out Columbia for myself.

Anyhow - I'm STILLL down to Hopkins and UMich. For some reason, I'm not convinved in my bones about Hopkins. I mean you guys have all pointed out the strengths of the program - I agree with you all - but I'm still ambivalent about a crammed 9 months of learning. AND the 3 online classes.... oh well... I have a little more time to mull over it some more....
What are your thoughts at the moment about Hopkins.

frali - btw - about UCLA - it was an MPH/MBA combined program for which a GMAT was needed to apply. I didnt apply because i didnt give the GMAT...

You mentioned MPH'ers from UCLA also land healthcare admin positions. What concentration allows you to do this? There is no HPM concentration in UCLA. They seem to have a smaller array of concentrations.[/quote]

Hello Frali! :)
Actually, UCLA does offer the MPH in health policy & management/health administration. The link is here: http://www.ph.ucla.edu/hs/mph.asp
I also saw that for the Hospital Administrative Fellowship at Mass-General Hospital (MGH) in Boston, a couple of UCLA MPH'ers have gotten administrative fellowships with MGH and have become healthcare managers, etc. Both UCLA and UC Berkely also offer dual degree programs for MPH and MBA.

JOhns Hopkins is a good place nevertheless, my cousin went to med school there and loved it! :) U Michigan is good too, I might do my PhD with them in a year or so.
It's really shocking to hear and discover that Columbia U was so jaded though :( I thought Columbia U's program was trying to become more student-friendly, especially with students accessing professors, etc. Oh well (shrugging)

Thanks for the post. I had no idea UCLA had an HPM concentration! I just emailed admissions about changing my concentration from Epi to HPM...let's see if it's possible. I want to know if I at least have the option to consider UCLA. The program seems more slow-paced than Hopkins' for sure, but I'm still not sure what program is stronger and will help me out in the long run...

Where are you attending for fall and what concentration?

Hello Frali! :)
Actually, UCLA does offer the MPH in health policy & management/health administration. The link is here: http://www.ph.ucla.edu/hs/mph.asp
I also saw that for the Hospital Administrative Fellowship at Mass-General Hospital (MGH) in Boston, a couple of UCLA MPH'ers have gotten administrative fellowships with MGH and have become healthcare managers, etc. Both UCLA and UC Berkely also offer dual degree programs for MPH and MBA.

JOhns Hopkins is a good place nevertheless, my cousin went to med school there and loved it! :) U Michigan is good too, I might do my PhD with them in a year or so.
It's really shocking to hear and discover that Columbia U was so jaded though :( I thought Columbia U's program was trying to become more student-friendly, especially with students accessing professors, etc. Oh well (shrugging)

whats the specific problems with hopkins' MHA....i am aspiring to go there for next year, im studyin for gmat now lol.....

I had a quick question. I was thinking of applying for an MHA at Johns Hopkins. What are the typical scores accepted? If anyone would know. Also when is the best time to apply? I know the deadline is Feb 1st, 2010, but is it on a rolling admissions? Or do they not look at applicants until that date?

Thanks

For scores, as always, higher is better. With that said, if you don't have the highest scores, it can be supplemented with a good grades, a telling personal statement and applicable experiences. As long as you can explain yourself and why you would be a good fit for the program, you should be in good shape.

From my understanding, the MHA program doesn't send out acceptances till shortly after the deadline, but in terms of flexibility for interviews the earlier they receive the app, the better shape you will be for picking interview dates. By early, I mean around end of December, so you still have a couple of months to perfect that statement, complete the essay, and take the GRE or GMAT (depending on your preference). Once they get the application with all supporting materials, you will either have a phone interview, in-person interview, or both, and these do take place before Feb 1st as well as after.

Good luck on the application process.

Hi all!

I am new to this forum and noticed there are some interested in/currently enrolled in the JHU MHA program. I am interested in learning what opportunities are available in terms of distance learning for this program, whether online or through satellite campuses (e.g.,Montgomery County)? Also, I'd be curious to hear thoughts on working full or part time while enrolled? Is this common/ doable? It looks like a very intense program. I am currently in a consulting position at a firm in Montgomery County, MD and would prefer to work and go to school and so I am wondering if this is common in this program & if there are distance learning opprtunities. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks so much,

Alyson

Hi
I have 2 years healthcare consulting experience with 3.2 undergrad gpa and 1100 in GRE.I have applied to JHU for fall 2011..Do u guys think I have chance?Also did anyone get an admission decision for fall 2011?
user_online.gif

hi i am applying fr jhu mha too? my gre is 324 and my gpa is 3 kinda low are there chances fr an good admit?