suckerfree

10+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2004
Status
I am in my 2nd year of ap/cp residency. I have recently come across the johns hopkins surgical pathology conference cases...how good are these in preparing us for ap boards?

Thanks!

salt

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
Status
I am in my 2nd year of ap/cp residency. I have recently come across the johns hopkins surgical pathology conference cases...how good are these in preparing us for ap boards?

Thanks!
Excellent. Many common things, some obscure things, good pictures, usually thorough explanations. And they have a nice smattering of scary looking benign things that could readily be called malignant by the easily spooked, something that the boards, in a rare showing of actual relavence, also emphasizes. In fact, i think if someone could really master those JHU cases, they'd be a long way towards being a good pathologist. The only thing you have to take with a grain of salt is the occasional "i'm from JHU so i can make up a diagnosis no one else has ever heard of" diagnosis. They also occasionally do this thing where they don't show you some special stains, and then in the answer say that the special stains are key to the diagnosis. you cant help feel like you were set up to fail, but you learn somehting.

other opinions?

LNsquasher

10+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
Yeah, they are very good, though a little redundant (you'll see 6-10 myelolipomas in the adrenal section, for example). But the pictures and discussions are really top-notch and I know a couple people who have used the cases almost exclusively for SP board review (though I would definitely advise against that). It's a huge time commitment to go through all the cases (around 2 solid weeks), but worth the time.

suckerfree

10+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2004
Status
thanks guys. I really actually enjoy going through them...does anyone out there know of anything similar to these cases for other subjects, e.g. hematopathology, cytopathology, etc.?

Thanks!

LNsquasher

10+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
You could also check out the path md questions (pathmd.com) and the ASCP resident review course has some questions sets in PDF format (maybe you know someone who's taken the review course who could hook you up). Both sets are AP and CP and are more in a boards/RISE format and not all purely case-based like the JH cases. They are both pretty good. Also the CP quick compendium companion (ASCP press published) is a good book of CP questions, but obviously isn't free.