Join Honor Society? Worth it?

Started by Phipps
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Phipps

Post-Doctoral Fellow
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, I received an invite (invitation only society) to join The Golden Key International Honour Society. Apparently I will graduate in the top 15%. Cost to join: $ 95. Is it worth it? What do you guys think?? I am torn... Thanks! Ms. Phipps.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, if I can afford the cost, I usually join in certain societies. Plus if you get a journal with it (or some sort of perk reading material or academic access) it keeps you in the loop.

As WisNeuro said, it would most likely not be the deal breaker down the road but it does add a certain bit of quality and interest about you to your CV (as skinnerboy said). If I see someone's CV with multiple awards, I usually get the picture that they are vested in that aspect of their career, otherwise, why would even apply...or in your case, why even be invited if you weren't somewhat good at what you do.

I was reflecting back on a multicultural award I received a while back, and I'll be damned if multiculturalism is not sprinkled in everything I do, so it paints a picture of who I am as clinician, and who you'll be guaranteed to have on your team if you give me the job/position.

What will this award say about you, Ms. Phipps? (Rhetorical question, of course, for you to ponder...along with the cost :greedy:.)
 
The thing about Golden Key is that it's reserved for the top 15% academically, last I checked. At reputable programs and sites, we're getting those applicants anyway, so it doesn't really set someone apart. I don't think it will hurt, necessarily, but I don't think it helps at all. We tend to view the things that people have to pay for to get in (Golden Key, Who's Who, etc) as needless fillers on applications.
 
The thing about Golden Key is that it's reserved for the top 15% academically, last I checked. At reputable programs and sites, we're getting those applicants anyway, so it doesn't really set someone apart. I don't think it will hurt, necessarily, but I don't think it helps at all. We tend to view the things that people have to pay for to get in (Golden Key, Who's Who, etc) as needless fillers on applications.

Oh. See, learn something new everyday.
 
I joined a few of these as an undergrad (Phi Eta Sigma, Goldenkey) but in hindsight it was a waste of money. Don't join it just for the name, but if you are considering getting involved in leadership it might (might) be worthwhile. Psi Chi is perhaps slightly more valuable just for the opportunities it can provide, but still VERY unlikely to make or break an application.

If I could go back, I think the only one I would probably bother with is Phi Beta Kappa. I wasn't eligible anyways due to my primary major, but that one seems to garner at least a tiny bit of respect. The rest seem fairly meaningless CV padding that just gets skimmed over.
 
I don't think it's worth it. To me it comes off as CV padding.

A better use of your time and money is to join as a student member of a professional society that has an active graduate student special interest group. This will give you a better chance to network, apply for small grants, etc.
 
Thanks all for your responses. So, is Golden Key an okay honour society to join?? Does anybody even know who gets in there> I had never heard of them prior to receiving the email!
 
Thanks all for your responses. So, is Golden Key an okay honour society to join?? Does anybody even know who gets in there> I had never heard of them prior to receiving the email!

Do a board search. Many people have asked about this. Golden Key is not very exclusive and many view it as a waste of money.

If a college student or a recent college graduate listed their Golden Key membership on their CV or resume, my impression would be neutral. But frankly, if someone with graduate training continued to list Golden Key, I might view this a little negatively. At that level of professional development there are much more meaningful ways to distinguish yourself.
 
I was in it (even said so above). Its not going to tank your application to join, but its not worth much of anything. Its a fairly meaningless designation. Especially given psychology is an outrageously "easy" major at most universities, so high grades don't say much of anything about one's actual ability or potential to succeed in graduate school