joining AMA (and/or the like)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lieberarzt

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, Have any MD/PhD's here joined (or NOT joined) the American Medical Student Association (AMSA)? Are there any immediate benefits associated with joining such organizations? Is it a waste? Thanks, in advance.
 
Hi, Have any MD/PhD's here joined (or NOT joined) the American Medical Student Association (AMSA)? Are there any immediate benefits associated with joining such organizations? Is it a waste? Thanks, in advance.

Waste of $$. You get JAMA... watch them slowly accumilate untouched on your desk. Maybe you will need them for kindling in the winter time.
 
Waste of $$. You get JAMA... watch them slowly accumilate untouched on your desk. Maybe you will need them for kindling in the winter time.


hahaha well put. They also advertise some Step I study material benefits, like free flashcards or something like that. I was not a member and I think I crunched the numbers and calculated that it's not worth it to join just for the free Step I study materials.
 
Note that the American Medical Association (AMA) and American Medical Student Association (AMSA) are two totally different groups. AMA is a conservative group with members mostly representing physicians and residents. AMSA is a much more liberal (often totally opposite AMA) group representing medical students.