joining clubs (soma, sosa,etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nshalaby

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started my M1 year and during orientation was getting bombarded by these different clubs. How important is it to join these clubs? I understand that some might help with lab practicals or give you an Atlas, but will they be helpful when it comes time for a residency spot or is my gain from these mainly going to come during M1-M2 yrs. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

They're of limited value, and useless if your board scores are mediocre. Just get the freebies.

AMA gives you a subscription JAMA and is the largest physician organization so if any, that one may be worth it.

Overall, these things are not important unless you want to run for a leadership position at your school

Members don't see this ad :)
Save your money to buy beer. I regret spending around $100 on school clubs for the "free goodies". I did join something second year, I forget which one, which ended up giving a discount on a kaplan qbank.

Reactions: 1 user
Your SOMA chapter is probably around $75 for all four years with a free Thieme Atlas this year and the organization is the student wing of the AOA. You should absolutely join SOMA. The specialty clubs are up to you. I joined very few.

EDIT: OP if your location is where you go to DO school, you are auto-enrolled in SOMA.

As you know, there are many types of student organizations. Besides the opportunity for leadership experience and conferences that others mention, they provide opportunities to learn about clinical practice, business, and networking when the club invites guest speakers. They provide opportunities to do certain activities that you may not normally be exposed to early on (advanced suturing in surgery club, skin biopsies in derm club, breast and pelvic exams in OB/GYN club, more OMM experiences in SAAO, etc). You get the opportunity for more volunteer experiences, health screening responsibilities, and so on. Our school even has a musical group who performs multiple times each year. Plus, many clubs provide meals to members at their meetings. As your schedule allows, find a couple or few things you are interested in and get involved as a way to enhance your medical education experience.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll join a couple of them and see how I like it and if they are as helpful during med school as they claim to be. If nothing else at least I'll get food once a month and a good excuse to take a study break :)

AMA gives you a subscription JAMA and is the largest physician organization so if any, that one may be worth it.

Overall, these things are not important unless you want to run for a leadership position at your school

You will also get monthly bills* from the AMA for membership dues, years after you stopped being a member (and stopped paying dues)

*slight exageration - not monthly but feels that way. Plus they aren't really bills (they just design it to look like a real bill) but an annoying marketing attempt to get former members to rejoin the AMA.

I just started my M1 year and during orientation was getting bombarded by these different clubs. How important is it to join these clubs? I understand that some might help with lab practicals or give you an Atlas, but will they be helpful when it comes time for a residency spot or is my gain from these mainly going to come during M1-M2 yrs. Thanks

Will not help when it comes time for residency unless you hold national office (and even then, maybe a little). However, if you are able to network and make connections with faculty, then it may be helpful. But being a member of a club, or even holding local office (club VP, club prez, etc) - I use it as conversation piece during interviews, but that's it. Not factored into the decision process at all.

I wonder if we go to the same school, as I just had the same talks and wondered the very same things today

I wonder if we go to the same school, as I just had the same talks and wondered the very same things today

Wondering if you go to my school as well. SOMA membership gets you a free Netter's Atlas at my school. A new Netter's costs about $80-$85, SOMA membership costs ~$75 for the 4 yrs. I personally thought it was worth it, but it might not be if you already have an Atlas.

As far as SOSA membership goes, I didn't really find it worth it unless you want surgery. They have the reviews for Anatomy, but again I didn't really find those that essential, but I know others that did.

As far as SAAO goes, join it. Join it now, if you are at my school. $60 and it is very much worth the OPP lab practical reviews and technique sheets that they have and give out. People who studied them never seemed to really have an issue with the practicals, whereas some others who didn't, really struggled. Sure, you could get by studying Nicholas atlas, but the things that are specific to our school and instructors (i.e. how they do certain things and how they'll test you) aren't always covered.

In terms of joining clubs for the extracurriculars, unless you are holding leadership positions and going to national conferences, I doubt it really matters.

In terms of joining clubs for the extracurriculars, unless you are holding leadership positions and going to national conferences, I doubt it really matters.
Probably doesn't matter then either. It's more for hanging out with your homies.

I'm at LECOM Erie. Just seemed like people all around me were talking about joining these groups trying to boost their CV for residency. I'm trying to join groups for practical reasons as I've heard a couple of them help with lab practicals and such so Sosa/soma might be worth it.

I'm at LECOM Erie. Just seemed like people all around me were talking about joining these groups trying to boost their CV for residency. I'm trying to join groups for practical reasons as I've heard a couple of them help with lab practicals and such so Sosa/soma might be worth it.

Yeah, just joining the club isn't going to help you for residency. Like I said, its really only useful if you are holding positions, in turn going to conferences, and networking there. Beyond that (networking) its useless.

Probably doesn't matter then either. It's more for hanging out with your homies.

Yeah, to be clear, I meant more in terms of networking than being a deciding factor in residency apps. Medicine is a lot about who you know, so if you are regularly attending national conferences and representing your school, its likely you'll meet more people affiliated with different programs.

Last edited:
I got bombarded as well with different group offerings. I was disappointed that SOMA didn't offer Netter's, as that's what I was told in the past.

In the end I joined nothing. I have about $20 to my name until my financial aid clears next week. I have no ambition to join any political advocacy groups.

Reactions: 1 user
I got bombarded as well with different group offerings. I was disappointed that SOMA didn't offer Netter's, as that's what I was told in the past.

In the end I joined nothing. I have about $20 to my name until my financial aid clears next week. I have no ambition to join any political advocacy groups.

Your soma didn't offer Netter's? What a rip. Check online and see if the official soma is doing it. They did it last year.

I feel you on that. And LECOM does FA by giving out hard checks as opposed to direct deposit. So it takes even longer.
Your soma didn't offer Netter's? What a rip. Check online and see if the official soma is doing it. They did it last year.
I believe it is the Thieme atlas this year instead of the Netter's at LECOM.