Joining the airforce before med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oncie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm going to be graduating in the Spring of 2017. I'm a Biology major, computer science minor with a GPA of 3.29, hopefully by graduation I can raise it up to ~3.35.

Should I join the airforce for a few years? How long do you have to serve if you want to go to graduate school? Is it worth it?

I want to join right now honestly and maybe do basic training/study airforce stuff over senior year. I can learn so much I think especially with my computer science background. I've heard of some people continuing army service even through medical school. How do med schools view army service?

Members don't see this ad.

Biggest reason is that I'm a permanent resident. Joining the military is one of the more faster ways to get a US citizenship.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Biggest reason is that I'm a permanent resident. Joining the military is one of the more faster ways to get a US citizenship.
You should ask in the military forum

Reactions: 1 users
I cant think of any school that restricts you from applying if you have your green card.

US Green Card Holders (a.k.a Permanent Residents) are treated the same as US Citizens in Undergrad and Grad School admissions. I think some law requires it.

I love the military, but just keep in mind that you cannot get a security clearance as a permanent resident, so your choice of jobs will be limited to ones that don't require it (eg, cook, supply, etc). It's a great path to citizenship, and the guys I work who joined for that reason are appreciative, but their jobs kind of suck.

ETA: haven't applied yet, but vet status does seem to be a plus, if just for interesting PS and interview fodder.

Reactions: 1 user