Joining the enlisted reserves whilecompleting post-bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OLDwood

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I spoke to an enlisted reserve recruiter today and told her that I'm interested in joining the reserve branch. My plan is to add reserve time to my prior service time so I can max on my HPSC/HPSP pay while in dental school AND build more years in service for retirement purposes whatnot.

I plan to sign up for 2 years in the reserve component.

My questions are:
(1.) What's the chance that I will be mobilized before I get accepted to dental school? I don't mind being mobilized for 3-4 months, but I'd rather not.......since I really want to work in dental clinics and gain as much clinical experience (reserve unit or civilian clinics) before starting D school.

(2.) How hard is it to "get out" of the reserve contract and apply for Navy or AF or Army HPSC/HPSP once I get accepted to professional school?

(3.) Is it worth the time and effort?

I will apply to dental school in 2010.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

My plan is to add reserve time to my prior service time so I can max on my HPSC/HPSP pay while in dental school .

That makes no difference. Once you are in HPSP you get the same stipend as everybody else. The years in the Reserves would give you more years once school was completed as far as pay goes, but that's it. Your years in the "reserves" in dental school don't count for anything. Be carefull about that, I had to inform my recruiter of this at Dental school because she was telling people that it counted. Sure enough she got out her book and found that it doesn't count for anything. Make the recruiter show you the regulations, then ask for a copy for your own records. Most of them just don't know all the specifics.

That makes no difference. Once you are in HPSP you get the same stipend as everybody else. The years in the Reserves would give you more years once school was completed as far as pay goes, but that's it. Your years in the "reserves" in dental school don't count for anything. Be carefull about that, I had to inform my recruiter of this at Dental school because she was telling people that it counted. Sure enough she got out her book and found that it doesn't count for anything. Make the recruiter show you the regulations, then ask for a copy for your own records. Most of them just don't know all the specifics.

Were you in the Navy reserve during dental school?

Did you join the Navy reserve before dental school?