jr in highschool here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msx3suzz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
yup.

well,hi
I was thinking about studying medicine....
and yes, I'm a Jr. in highschool

and i was wondering if you could advise me with classes, outside activities that you did. and something about PCAT? [accrd. to a professor from UT, i have to take Pharmacy College Admission Test in order to apply for UT medicine. wondering, if anyone knows about that.]

thanks so much! :)

Members don't see this ad.

yup.

well,hi

and i was wondering if you could advise me with classes, outside activities that you did. and something about PCAT? [accrd. to a professor from UT, i have to take Pharmacy College Admission Test in order to apply for UT medicine. wondering, if anyone knows about that.]

PCAT? no way...MCAT yes. I applied to TX schools as well. Your high school activities will not count for squat for medical applications so dont sweat it...but try to get some exposure to medicine to see if its really what you want to do

yup.

well,hi

Get into college first. At this stage of the game that is all you need to worry about. And you probably heard the professor wrong, unless you want to go to pharmacy school. People applying to medical school have to take the MCAT (Medical College Admissions Test).

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone's going to say come back in a few years, and they're right.

You are listed as pre-dental, asking about a pre-pharm test, and also allude to being pre-medical. Which one is it?

Pre-dental students take the DAT
Pre-pharm students take the PCAT
Pre-medical students take the MCAT

If I were interested in medicine and I was in HS, I'd be looking at BS/MD programs.

uhh
i was interested in dental like lastyear
and not anymore.
i want to study medicine and idk how to change that status thing or whatever. :/

whats the difference between medicine and pharmacy?
i thought you study medicine and become a pharmacist?...

no when you study medicine, you become a physician, a doctor.

when you become a pharmacist, you dispense medicine ( as in drugs)

As a physician (MD) you prescribe the drugs and as pharmacist (PharmD) you push the drugs :D

Too early, kid, way too early.

wait until you're in college before you start overworrying about any professional school

This is a double thread. The kid started an identical one in the DO forums. All the advice you were given here (and in the DO) is valid. Come back once you are in College, know what you want to do, and know the difference between pharm and med.

Medicine and Pharmacy are two different careers.

If you are set on doing medicine, I recommend applying to BS/MD programs.

If you are set on doing pharmacy, I recommend applying to 6 year Pharmacy Programs.

This is the pre-med forum, so if you have more questions about medicine, you can ask it here.

There is a pre-pharmacy forum in SDN, which has some advisors for prospective pharmacy student.