• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

July 27 PCAT score thread

Hao1

Jul 27, 2011
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
    I finished my PCAT today, and this is my preliminary score
    Verbal 32
    Biology 84
    Reading 31
    Quantitative Ability 95
    Chemistry 99
    Composite 86
    I am asian, so English is my biggest weakness.
    Biology seems a lot of harder than my practice tests. Chemistry and Math are easy this time though

About the Ads

thesituation559

Ready for whatever
    Jul 21, 2011
    1. Pharmacy Student
      I finished my PCAT today, and this is my preliminary score
      Verbal 32
      Biology 84
      Reading 31
      Quantitative Ability 95
      Chemistry 99
      Composite 86
      I am asian, so English is my biggest weakness.
      Biology seems a lot of harder than my practice tests. Chemistry and Math are easy this time though

Which practice test did you use? For Bio math and chem what did you study? Your test scores look great

thesituation559

Ready for whatever
      Jul 21, 2011
      1. Pharmacy Student
        Kaplan + Dr. Collins + 3 Pearson practice tests ($80)

Awsome I'm doing the same. I'm doing dr collins and reading Bio from Kaplan 20 min a day. The information in Kaplan for Bio is overwhelming did it help you on the exam more than dr collins? I havn't looked at math yet, was collins really helpful to you in that subject? sorry for all the questions I'm really nervous for the test I have ONE shot in september to do well so I'm trying to over prepare lol

kino79

Jul 27, 2011
          Just took the pcat and got

SS/PR

406/58 verbal expected lol
          440/94 biology expected
          392/32 RC unexpected
          410/59 Quant unexpected
          438/90 chem expected

76 composite overall

Should I retake the exam?

I thought i would do better in math and that would have been a much better composite score but the math was hard I guess...What do you guys think? will i need to retake or am i just competitive enough.

Hao1

Jul 27, 2011
          1. Pre-Pharmacy
            Awsome I'm doing the same. I'm doing dr collins and reading Bio from Kaplan 20 min a day. The information in Kaplan for Bio is overwhelming did it help you on the exam more than dr collins? I havn't looked at math yet, was collins really helpful to you in that subject? sorry for all the questions I'm really nervous for the test I have ONE shot in september to do well so I'm trying to over prepare lol

Dr. Collins are very helpful in Math, Bio, and Chem. I read the Kaplan twice before taking any practice tests. Bio of Kaplan helps me the most in this exam.

About the Ads

chemguy79

Moderator Emeritus
            10+ Year Member
            Mar 14, 2006
            Chapel Hill
              When you score like this:
              VA 95
              Bio 99
              RC 94
              QA 27!!!!!!!!
              Chem 68
              Comp 92

What to do?

Contact the schools that you're interested in to see if they have a requirement regarding individual subjects. Some schools won't allow you a section below 40, etc. Furthermore, your lowest sections are in the more important parts of the PCAT. I would think about retaking, but wouldn't schedule anything until you contact schools regarding their PCAT subject section requirements.

harmonidrum

Mar 22, 2011
              1. Pre-Pharmacy
                Good job! Didn't see anyone get anything near that at the center where I took it lol. Btw do you know if our official scores will stay the same except for writing of course?

I'm not sure but I highly doubt my score will fluctuate at all. It is one of the highest comps I've ever seen. My essays were damn good too. Wouldn't be surprised if I get 5/5.

simplyme01

Mar 20, 2011
                1. Pre-Pharmacy

Dr collins bio helped A LOT today. I didn't have time to study so I only went over the dr collins bio and I got a 90 today. I even saw 3 of the same questions. Dr collins verbal was really really helpful too. I got like 7 of the same analogies on my pcat today so memorize each one.

About the Ads

simplyme01

Mar 20, 2011
                  1. Pre-Pharmacy
                    I thought the bio was rediculous (extremely random and specific for many questions) , and the quant was very hard (I ended up guessing on about 5 questions). Everything else was a cakewalk except for maybe one RC passage (spent about 11-12 minutes on the stupid thing).

Yeah I expected a terrible score in bio. Felt like it was asking unimportant things and leaving out the main concepts. More microbio than I expected too but dr collins microbio section helped with that for sure. and the RC destroyed me. way harder than pearson's and kaplan's :(

harmonidrum

Mar 22, 2011
                    1. Pre-Pharmacy
                      Yeah I expected a terrible score in bio. Felt like it was asking unimportant things and leaving out the main concepts. More microbio than I expected too but dr collins microbio section helped with that for sure. and the RC destroyed me. way harder than pearson's and kaplan's :(

Did we take the same test? I thought Collin's sucked for bio... Some of the micro stuff was super detailed, stuff that was not taught in my microbiology course. The RC was a joke, much easier than the practice pearson exams I've taken.

chemguy79

Moderator Emeritus
                      10+ Year Member
                      Mar 14, 2006
                      Chapel Hill
                        I thought the bio was rediculous (extremely random and specific for many questions) , and the quant was very hard (I ended up guessing on about 5 questions). Everything else was a cakewalk except for maybe one RC passage (spent about 11-12 minutes on the stupid thing).

You won't get a 5/5 on your essays if you spell ridiculous incorrectly. :D

simplyme01

Mar 20, 2011
                        1. Pre-Pharmacy
                          Did we take the same test? I thought Collin's sucked for bio... Some of the micro stuff was super detailed, stuff that was not taught in my microbiology course. The RC was a joke, much easier than the practice pearson exams I've taken.

lol maybe I found dr collins to be helpful since it's the only thing I used for bio so I had nothing else to compare it too. and I did find RC to be wayyyy harder. english is my second language but still this was way worse than what i scored on practice ones.

About the Ads

immaculate

Jul 27, 2011
                          1. Pre-Pharmacy
                            Hello! I just took it this morning at 8am.
                            Here are my scores:

Verbal 416 / 73
                            Biology 435 / 91
                            Reading 416 / 71
                            Quantitative 443 / 94
                            Chem 463 / 98
                            Composite 435 / 94

I am happy with my composite score; however, all my science scores are in the 90s while my English scores are in the 70s. Should I re-take the pcats, or is this a good enough score?

Thanks in advance. And good luck to anyone else taking it later!

chemguy79

Moderator Emeritus
                            10+ Year Member
                            Mar 14, 2006
                            Chapel Hill
                              Hello! I just took it this morning at 8am.
                              Here are my scores:

Verbal 416 / 73
                              Biology 435 / 91
                              Reading 416 / 71
                              Quantitative 443 / 94
                              Chem 463 / 98
                              Composite 435 / 94

I am happy with my composite score; however, all my science scores are in the 90s while my English scores are in the 70s. Should I re-take the pcats, or is this a good enough score?

Thanks in advance. And good luck to anyone else taking it later!

Do. Not. Retake. Period. :)

danibella

10+ Year Member
                              5+ Year Member
                              Apr 9, 2009
                              1. Pre-Pharmacy
                                Hey Chemguy :p

Do you think I need to contact the University of Florida (top choice) about my reading comprehension score?

Reading: 48
                                Verbal: 82
                                Biology: 99
                                Quant: 81
                                Chemistry: 93
                                Composite: 92

Ugh. Reading? Really? Plus I mayyy have misunderstood one of the essay prompts today so I don't want them to get the wrong impression about my communication skills.

Thanks, any advice is appreciated :)

chemguy79

Moderator Emeritus
                                10+ Year Member
                                Mar 14, 2006
                                Chapel Hill
                                  Hey Chemguy :p

Do you think I need to contact the University of Florida (top choice) about my reading comprehension score?

Reading: 48
                                  Verbal: 82
                                  Biology: 99
                                  Quant: 81
                                  Chemistry: 93
                                  Composite: 92

Ugh. Reading? Really? Plus I mayyy have misunderstood one of the essay prompts today so I don't want them to get the wrong impression about my communication skills.

Thanks, any advice is appreciated :)

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. E-mail their office if their website doesn't say anything about a minimum subject score. (I am not interested in UF, so I don't know if they have a requirement off of the top of my head.) In any event, with your composite and the rest of your scores, you are definitely in the clear.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                  7. This thread is locked.