June 2009: USMLE Step 1 Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deferoxamine

Non-smoking
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When are you taking the USMLE Step 1?

For me, I'll be taking it on a Father's Day hangover, June 22. Thank God I won't be busy on Father's Day, seeing that I don't have any children, at least none that I know of.

Figured we'd stir up a support thread, see when everyone's taking their exam, and offer up some good luck for all those taking Step 1 in the month ahead.

Members don't see this ad.

June 3: tdd340, hateroftheyear
June 5: morriske, skitskat3025
June 8: jsong812
June 9: arroser
June 10: tomorrowgirl99
June 11: Severus, leahmaria, jwax
June 12: Disinence, LadyKae
June 13: ZagDoc, flyingdutchman
June 15: AggieSarah2007

June 17: NCF145, Re3iRtH
June 19: SeminoleFan3
June 22: Deferoxamine, Depakote, soonereng, Ihateverbal
June 23: ACE Stimulator, rahulb
June 24: frangeo, sendwich, chaostheory, Vonsmack, Redrox, sprinkibrio
June 25: confuse, BONENIBBLER
June 26: pseudoknot, bretticus, mahdego
June 29: RisingSun
June 30: PBandJ

Good luck, June 17th gang!

I'm so ready to be done...Ugh. 1.5 more days of studying. It looks like I might finish up all my "schedule material" by noon tomorrow. I've set aside from stuff to look at on Thursday morning before I call it complete at noon. I'm trying to decide what to do for those extra hours tomorrow:

-Listen to Goljan audio on cell injury/inflammation (about 3 hours, sped up)...haven't listened to this section
-Do more UQ questions (have about 150 or so that I haven't done)
-Look through the stuff I set aside for Thursday (and just do it twice)
-Other

Suggestions anyone?

I hear ya. I'll be done with the rest of Micro and Pharm by midday tomorrow... and then what?

It'll be 3 1/2 days of putting as many finishing touches on things as I can. I have 900 UWorld Q's still unused, and I'd be shocked if I use more than 300 of them. I'd consider going thru all of First Aid again, but that might not be attainable if I want to keep fitting in UWorld questions... maybe just flip through First Aid and stop and focus whenever it's something I can't fully remember (i.e. stuff I reviewed like 3 weeks ago)? Maybe looking at HY Neuro confusing stuff again (i.e. lateral medually syndrome, etc.), solidify some more biochem, and YES definitely going over basic pathology and immuno.

And then Sunday, the day before my test... :laugh:. That's going to be hilarious.

The next 3 days are the final push for me. My motto is going to be "Don't think. Just study."

Seminole, be sure to chill tomorrow evening. You've been busting your ass.

Well, I've started to freak out. It was bound to happen soon. I feel like I didn't get as much done today as normal, and I feel like I'm actively losing knowledge out of my brain. Ugh. Test in Friday. Half day of studying tomorrow some HY stuff.

I hear you on that. Mine is also friday and I'm staring at FA feeling like I've forgotten everything. Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
June 19: SeminoleFan3
June 25: confuse, BONENIBBLER, kdburton

June 19: SeminoleFan3, bola

I took the FREE 150 today and my score went up. My scores have been going up down and up. All over the place.

Free 150: 80% MED FRIENDS predicted 239
Hmmmmmmmmm....iono what to believe

I took the FREE 150 today and my score went up. My scores have been going up down and up. All over the place.

Free 150: 80% MED FRIENDS predicted 239
Hmmmmmmmmm....iono what to believe

What do your other scores predict? 239 is a great score!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
probably gonna take one more practice exam to see where I really fall....probably UWSA 2 since they actually come with answers, so It's like I'm studying.

I moved myself since I found a closer more convenient location on June 23rd :D

June 22: Deferoxamine, Depakote, soonereng
June 23: ACE Stimulator, rahulb, Ihateverbal

June 22: Deferoxamine, Depakote, soonereng, lazymed

June 22: Deferoxamine, Depakote, soonereng, lazymed

Good luck, June 19th people!

Holy crap, this means I'm next. :eek: Glad I checked out the Prometric testing site this morning.

First thing when I walked in:
Me: "What building is this?"
Older dude behind a desk: "City hall."
Me: "&%$#"

Worst part is, I grew up here.

Found the real building just fine. Janitor in the hallways wished me good luck twice. The elevator up to the Prometric testing floor had an advertisement for hypnosis sessions to combat anxiety and stress.

Do I really really need to read BRS physio?

I mean, I took the NBME 5 recently and did not miss a single question; came close to that on the NMBE4. Also I am lazy beyond measure. Test is a week from today. Thoughts?

Do I really really need to read BRS physio?

I mean, I took the NBME 5 recently and did not miss a single question; came close to that on the NMBE4. Also I am lazy beyond measure. Test is a week from today. Thoughts?

1. There is no way to know if you missed questions unless you are relying on the so-called answers floating around the net, which have errors.

2. You can't be that lazy if you're doing that well on NBMEs.

3. BRS Phys is a really awesome book. Seriously. It's amazing how much information there is in there. Good luck either way!

1. There is no way to know if you missed questions unless you are relying on the so-called answers floating around the net, which have errors.

For Form 5 there was a star but no bar, and #4 there was just the tiniest of slivers. And as for lazy, I've barely been able to pull in 4 hours a day this week. But if you think its good, I'll try and give it a second spin, but not just until I finish this beer.

3. BRS Phys is a really awesome book. Seriously. It's amazing how much information there is in there.

THIS.

So underrared among Step 1 sources. Only have 4 weeks of prep time and I still read the whole thing. I love it when the upperclassmen never mention to use it for Step 1 study, and that FA is sufficient... oh right... like that whole half-page physio flowchart in each Systems section in FA completely compensates for two-months of Physiology I had forgotten since first-year. :rolleyes:

For Form 5 there was a star but no bar, and #4 there was just the tiniest of slivers. And as for lazy, I've barely been able to pull in 4 hours a day this week.

Interesting. Well, given how little we know about the scoring of those bad boys...but I see your point. Anyway, sounds like you're in a good place, and if you've done well on UW phys questions then I'm sure you'll rock the real thing, with or without BRS Phys.

I did nothing whatsoever yesterday (8 days to go) so I hear ya on the laziness.

I did nothing whatsoever yesterday (8 days to go) so I hear ya on the laziness.

Just feels like I've done all I can do and the chances of me learning anything useful in the next week is low. So I've just been thumbing through the same ragged and torn up books trying to remind and retain.

Uworld questions are the fun part of studies because they are new material and active learning, its hard not to blow through a whole bunch of blocks and finish too early.

For Form 5 there was a star but no bar, and #4 there was just the tiniest of slivers. And as for lazy, I've barely been able to pull in 4 hours a day this week. But if you think its good, I'll try and give it a second spin, but not just until I finish this beer.

BRS Phys is def worth it for studying for the boards, but if you're already rockin out on physio on the NBMEs then I'd spend your time studying whatever subjects you're not doing as well on (especially if you only have a week)

Ok, you guys are freaking me out. I only looked at BRS for renal. I combined FA and MedEssential. Hopefully, that will be enough for Step 1 physio; otherwise, I'm screwed.

What's well? I'm in the 70th percentile for Physio, Pathphys, Path, Micro and a couple others on UW Qbank..however

I get nailed on Pharm, Musculo, Anatomy, Neuro.

With 2 days left to go does anyone else feel completely drained? I've been trying to go through FA again the last couple days and nothing seems to be sticking. I still see lots of things I've forgotten and know I should be more actively reading but the motivation is gone at this point. I wish I could have moved up my test date to today or yesterday. Part of me thinks I will forget everything I once knew or I will get hit hard with those pesky little details my eyes are glossing over right now. I guess this feeling is normal but damn it sucks. Alright sorry for the rant i've been ranting and complaining a lot lately.

What's well? I'm in the 70th percentile for Physio, Pathphys, Path, Micro and a couple others on UW Qbank..however

I get nailed on Pharm, Musculo, Anatomy, Neuro.

Ha, you and I sound similar. Rote memorization blows. I am sitting at 76 for physio and 80 for pathophysio. Embryo, neuro, and pharm are sadly sitting in the low 50s. Biochem is a horrid 48...ouch! I think I've learned those subjects pretty well over the last week, who knows. Test is tomorrow :eek:

With 2 days left to go does anyone else feel completely drained? I've been trying to go through FA again the last couple days and nothing seems to be sticking. I still see lots of things I've forgotten and know I should be more actively reading but the motivation is gone at this point. I wish I could have moved up my test date to today or yesterday. Part of me thinks I will forget everything I once knew or I will get hit hard with those pesky little details my eyes are glossing over right now. I guess this feeling is normal but damn it sucks. Alright sorry for the rant i've been ranting and complaining a lot lately.

I feel like this EXACTLY!

Me too! I've been SO good for the past 6 wks until yesterday and today. It's not that I'm not motivated, I just can't focus. I keep going back and forth between FA and UW over and over and last only a few minutes at each. I've given up for tonight and am drinking a beer. The funny thing is I didn't think it would happen to me!

Man, shoving in all last-minute review into 3 final study days is tough. Hoping my half-ass third pass through FA will be good enough. Basically, I slow my reading pace down when I get to a section that I don't quite fully get. Reviewing Biochem today was teh suck.

Also switched UWorld to Tutor Mode for these final 3 days 1) to get thru more question explanations, and 2) to settle me down and not feel like I'm being timed. My cumulative average has only gone up 1% so it's not like I'm overestimating my progress - plus none of the previous questions in a block pop up in future questions in that same block ... well, actually, one did, which I proceeded to get wrong anyways. :laugh:

For my "Day Before" schedule, I think I'm projecting:
-- Rapid Review section of FA
-- RR Path blue margin notes (most of which are redundant, but oh well...)
-- FA High Yield Images
-- Maybe 1-2 hours of topics in FA that are high yield and most difficult for me (maybe I'll just flip through, jump around, whatev.)

This is nuts. T-minus 3 days.

Woah, seems like the SDN Step 1 Forum is having some serious Generalized Anxiety Disorder (tx = buspirone?) these past few days (not this thread though, of course ;)). The titles of these other threads are just awful to read right now. So I'll be flying under the radar these next few days til this is over.

Good luck, gang!

Woah, seems like the SDN Step 1 Forum is having some serious Generalized Anxiety Disorder (tx = buspirone?) these past few days (not this thread though, of course ;)). The titles of these other threads are just awful to read right now. So I'll be flying under the radar these next few days til this is over.

Good luck, gang!

:luck:

anybody have anything fun planned for after the test?

A couple of my buddies are also taking the test on the same day and I've got a bottle of Cognac I've been saving for a special occasion:
19076.jpg

After that, heading down to relax in the sun for a week on a nice sandy beach. :cool:

I'm ready for a super productive day. Who's with me?! :D
if by "productive," you mean finishing the first aid micro section (YAY), then i did that. why it took me 2 full days is beyond me.

yep, people around here are having some serious anxiety. i think i'm gonna lay low for a while too.

Thanks everyone!

Just stopped studying at 5:00pm. And can't look at it again. :eek: Feels weird. Hope I studied the right crap. :laugh: