Junior switch to pre-med; best schedule route?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lizlemon09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am going to be a junior in the fall and after a lot of thought and consideration, have decided to pursue a career in medicine. I have a considerable number of general elective credits to fill, so completing the pre reqs within the normal 4 years is possible. Here is my tenative timeline:
Fall 2011-Bio 1 and Chem 1
Spring 2012-Bio 2 and Chem 2
Summer 2012-Physics 1
Fall 2012-Orgo 1 and Physics 2
Spring 2013-Orgo 2

So as the timing would have it, I wouldn't take the MCAT till spring of my senior year. My question is; would I be better off sticking to my schedule above OR spacing out the pre reqs into an extra year so I'm applying on time for that cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Your schedule is certainly do-able but it depends primarily on yourself, how much can you handle? Taking a gap year would benefit you in terms of less things to worry about, and not having to cram everything in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you take one or two of the prereqs during the gap year first semester? That may relieve some of the pressure.

Summer physics would seriously suck. I hated that class spread out over 4.5 months, I can't imagine cramming it in during a summer course.

Don't forget that medical schools like to see that you've taken other courses as well (biochem, upper level bios, etc.).

Don't forget to take the labs as well.

Physics during the summer doesn't sound too bad (especially since its physics I which I'm assuming is optics, Newton's, wave, and thermal material).

Also seeing that you're a psychology student, don't forget that these science courses are of a different flavor as compared to what you're used to in psychology.

So it looks like the consensus is for the gap year!lol. True it does depend on what I could handle, but it would certainly be nice to not squeeze all those classes together quite so much. Especially summer physics. Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it!

I vote for the gap year too. Junior year take gen bio and gen chem, then senior year do physics and organic, writing your MCAT sometime around the end of your senior year. Good luck!

That schedule is feasible, but it may be unpleasant depending on your extracurriculars and your other classes. If you have a job or something that takes a huge time commitment, I would spread it out more if possible.