Can I switch to pre-med sophomore year or am I delusional

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scared person

Reaction score
It’s my last day to register for classes. I had an abysmal freshman year as a finance major at Emory university ending with a 3.4 GPA(3.1 first semester and 3.66 second semester). I realized that I don’t like finance and I want to do something rewarding. However I wonder if it’s too late for switching to pre-med.

I didn’t really take AP Chem or Physics in high school and I don’t have volunteering or any ECs how would I even get them. Also I’m at Emory, one of the most challenging and biggest pre-med schools in the country. Idk if I’m being delusional. My parents are telling me to stick with finance even though they’ve always wanted me to be a doctor.

Also finance(Investment banking recruiting) starts second semester sophomore year so idk how would I even manage that(don't want to give up 100% on finance yet given the dicey situation). Like it feels irresponsible to drop all the finance stuff when I’m in such shaky grounds for pre-med.

Also should I take both chem and bio next semester. If I do how many max credits should take
Do you have any advice on what I should do to navigate the process? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It’s definitely not too late, but I’d encourage you to shadow a physician before deciding to become pre-med. You should find out if medicine is actually something you’d be interested in.

Reactions: 6 users
People switch after they graduate college. It's not too late. But do try to introspectively think about the choice you make here; get some shadowing experience etc. It seems like you're a bit confused so now is the time to explore in college.

Remember that you can be "pre-med" with any major; you just have to do the required courses. You can continue a finance major and supplement with the pre-med courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s my last day to register for classes. I had an abysmal freshman year as a finance major at Emory university ending with a 3.4 GPA(3.1 first semester and 3.66 second semester). I realized that I don’t like finance and I want to do something rewarding. However I wonder if it’s too late for switching to pre-med.

I didn’t really take AP Chem or Physics in high school and I don’t have volunteering or any ECs how would I even get them. Also I’m at Emory, one of the most challenging and biggest pre-med schools in the country. Idk if I’m being delusional. My parents are telling me to stick with finance even though they’ve always wanted me to be a doctor.

Also finance(Investment banking recruiting) starts second semester sophomore year so idk how would I even manage that(don't want to give up 100% on finance yet given the dicey situation). Like it feels irresponsible to drop all the finance stuff when I’m in such shaky grounds for pre-med.

Also should I take both chem and bio next semester. If I do how many max credits should take
As others have said, you are not too late to switch to pre-med: far from it! There are many applicants who don't decide to be 'pre-med' until after they graduate. These students complete the medical school prerequisites in a post-bac pre-health program or DIY at a college/university. There are also applicants who have taken over a decade between graduation and application to medical school. So, you've got plenty of options - more than you realize!

One comment I will make though is to be sure that you are pursuing medicine "for the right reasons": at a minimum because you believe you will like and be good at it. From your post, it seems that your current reason for pursuing medicine is to run away from finance, which is one of the worst reasons to pursue medicine (or really any career). I recommend slowing down and getting some shadowing and clinical volunteering first. Find out if this is something you see yourself doing (and hopefully enjoying). As you gain these experiences, you can decide at that time if shifting gears completely to pursue medicine makes sense. Keep an open mind (i.e. that medicine may not be right for you), otherwise you may find yourself in this same situation a couple years from now. This time line will involve at least one gap year, which is becoming the norm nowadays anyways.

Also, a 3.4 GPA (with a strong upward trend) during your freshman year is not "abysmal" - again, far from it. For what it's worth, my freshman GPA was a 3.0 - and granted I did a post-bac after graduation - still ended up doing okay. So take a breath and don't make any major changes without thoughtfully exploring your options first. Just my thoughts and best of luck.

• Care
One comment I will make though is to be sure that you are pursuing medicine "for the right reasons": at a minimum because you believe you will like and be good at it. From your post, it seems that your current reason for pursuing medicine is to run away from finance, which is one of the worst reasons to pursue medicine (or really any career). I recommend slowing down and getting some shadowing and clinical volunteering first. Find out if this is something you see yourself doing (and hopefully enjoying). As you gain these experiences, you can decide at that time if shifting gears completely to pursue medicine makes sense. Keep an open mind (i.e. that medicine may not be right for you), otherwise you may find yourself in this same situation a couple years from now. This time line will involve at least one gap year, which is becoming the norm nowadays anyways.

This

Reactions: 1 user
That’s interesting as I am a physician and I tell my kids to go into finance or accounting.
It’s never too late, worst case you have to take a couple summer classes or a gap year to get ready to take the MCAT and apply.
I would recommend a degree that leads to a good career as a plan B, unless you’re independently wealthy and can study whatever you want.

Reactions: 3 users
That’s interesting as I am a physician and I tell my kids to go into finance or accounting.
It’s never too late, worst case you have to take a couple summer classes or a gap year to get ready to take the MCAT and apply.
I would recommend a degree that leads to a good career as a plan B, unless you’re independently wealthy and can study whatever you want.

Great point! Always give yourself multiple options so you don't get boxed in or forced to stay at a job you don't like.

Reactions: 1 users

I switched to pre-med my sophomore year of college. The only con was that during my last semester when my friends were having the easiest course load of their college career, I was having the hardest course load. But, I was able to overcome that while enjoying my last semester at school. So, if you are passionate about medicine and you truly have an interest in medicine, go for it!

I completely agree with those that said it's not too late and just make sure medicine is right for you. Also realize, that as much you and your parents may want you to have professional direction, there are many, many doctors who chose that path after their freshman year or even after college or obtaining advanced degrees in a different field. You really don't have plan out your entire life or career after your freshman year. Do pursue what what you love and can see yourself enjoying for years to come and what society needs. But life has this way of changing what seemed like set-in-stone career paths.

And don't pursue something just because you started to pursue it and now find that it's not for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Start by taking one prerequisite course this semester (pick the one that seems most interesting to you) or take something generally related to medicine, like Anatomy and Physiology.
Volunteer once a week in a clinic or emergency room so you can see what it’s like to work with sick people.
By the end of the semester, you will have a better idea whether you want to delve more deeply into medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
3.4 is far from abysmal. My first 3 years of ugrad I had 2.1, now that's abysmal. Still, got my head on straight and ended up with a 3.9 over the next 4 (yes, 4) years to get to a whopping...3.05 by the time i got in.

If you know you want this path, great. Work hard and show that upward GPA trend that the adcoms love!