Junior taking a gap year

Started by massar
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

massar

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently a junior and I will apply at the end of my senior year (so I am taking a gap year). I expect my science GPA to be a 3.57 and overall gpa ot be a 3.68 when I apply.

MCAT: 31

I am also an Illinois resident.

Extra currics:

Pre-health club (3 years by the time I graduate) w/ 2 years in a leadership role. I was responsible for planning events and keeping track of the activity of 100+ members.
Community service club (3 years by graduation) ~1 hour a week
Work on campus (2 years by graduation) ~ 6 hours a week
Minor roles with another club (2 years by graduation)
Volunteered at a hospital over the summers. (3 summers by the time I graduate--9 months)
Research: I am starting now so I will have 3 semester by the time I graduate. I am choosing between an infant cognition lab (just have to jot down data) vs a "real science lab" --will one look better than the other?

Shadowed for 50ish hours with (MDs and DOs). I will have a DO letter of rec.

Also can I apply to SIU if I go to college near it (hour away) but I am from Chicago?
 
Last edited:
You will be rather competitive at any DO school. I can see CCOM being interested for sure if you wish to stay in IL.

You should be set for an MD acceptance if you pick a good mix of schools where you are competitive.