Junior Undergraduate, need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

futuretrashwoman

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a rising Junior at the University of Pittsburgh and I have hopes of going to medical school after a gap year. My cGPA is 3.4 and my sGPA is an abysmal 2.89 as I had a very rough freshman year. I just finished ochem 2 and received a C+ in it. I know that the highest sGPA I can get is around a 3.0/3.1. I plan on doing a post bacc since my sGPA is literally trash.

Question #1: Do you recommend me re-taking Ochem 2 or walking away with the C+?

Question #2: What are you recommendations for someone who is from CA and hopes to get into medical school?
 
For someone from CA with a best-case-scenario 3.0 sGPA, I think SMP probably makes a lot more sense than attempting years of repair.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For someone from CA with a best-case-scenario 3.0 sGPA, I think SMP probably makes a lot more sense than attempting years of repair.

I took the "years of repair" approach and I would NOT recommend it. That being said, I don't recommend SMP. SMP linkages tend to be weak and don't affect your undergraduate GPA. I think a 1-year post-baccalaureate program that let's you retake some of those courses and offer a linkage to the medical school is a better option because it will also raise your uGPA.

That being said, medical schools look positively upon "upward trends" and if you can get nearly all A's in the next 3 years (junior, senior, post-bac), you should be competitive for some MD schools and DO schools. Good luck!