jurisprudence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluecolourskies

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ya’ll I passed the EPPP and am dying waiting on my jurisprudence exam email. How long does this take? Should I email/call the board??

It’s been 10+ years since this journey started, I want my license T_T

I asked my colleague who got licensed last year, she said it took her 4 business days to get the email and it’s already been this long for me. Yes, I am being very impatient lol

EDIT: to clarify, I passed the EPPP but have received no emails about the next step.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why do I have to pass a jurisprudence exam? I'm never going to serve on a jury.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Ya’ll I passed the EPPP and am dying waiting on my jurisprudence exam email. How long does this take? Should I email/call the board??

It’s been 10+ years since this journey started, I want my license T_T

I asked my colleague who got licensed last year, she said it took her 4 business days to get the email and it’s already been this long for me. Yes, I am being very impatient lol
What state?

Reactions: 1 user
I second the question about which state.

One state had an oral exam after the jurisprudence, and I walked out with my license (no email required because I was told in person). Second state I searched the database and found out I was licensed that way quicker than the email, which took a week to come after I passed the test.

I second the question about which state.

One state had an oral exam after the jurisprudence, and I walked out with my license (no email required because I was told in person). Second state I searched the database and found out I was licensed that way quicker than the email, which took a week to come after I passed the test.
After you took the EPPP or jurisprudence? I haven't taken the jurisprudence yet.

Sorry, I misread your question. I had thought you were asking about the email that says whether or not you passed jurisprudence, not the email giving permission to sit for it.
It's ok, I edited my post for clarity :)

If it helps you- I applied in February with an EPPP pass in WA and I'm still waiting now 4 months later to be approved to take the jurisprudence. The consensus at my postdoc site is that it takes 4-6 months here.

If it helps you- I applied in February with an EPPP pass in WA and I'm still waiting now 4 months later to be approved to take the jurisprudence. The consensus at my postdoc site is that it takes 4-6 months here.
Wow 4 months??? :( But yes, this helps a lot, thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya'll I called the credentialing office today, and I got a message that said that nobody is available to take my call and I can't leave a voice mail either because their mailbox is full!

Ya'll I called the credentialing office today, and I got a message that said that nobody is available to take my call and I can't leave a voice mail either because their mailbox is full!
I had a friend recently try to get licensure in the state in question who said it took over a year and a half. They had to hire a lawyer because no one was responding to their attempts to contact the board. The board then said they "lost" the application. I think that's probably (hopefully) an outlier but it seems like they have had some issues of late.

Anecdotally, in the two states I recently got licensed in, I had to wait 1 month after the EPPP for jurisprudence approval in one state, and in the other with the EPPP score being transferred was a 4 month wait.

That's funny- there are 5 postdocs at my site, we've all been calling weekly and weekly being forwarded to that voicemail box for most of the last 2 months. Apparently we have left enough voicemails that we broke that option. You can request to be escalated and/or request to put in a ticket if you like.

That's funny- there are 5 postdocs at my site, we've all been calling weekly and weekly being forwarded to that voicemail box for most of the last 2 months. Apparently we have left enough voicemails that we broke that option. You can request to be escalated and/or request to put in a ticket if you like.
Oh so you’re to blame for the full voicemail??? haha

One friend got licensed there last year and he said it took him FOUR business days to hear about jurisprudence after the passed the EPPP!

I think everyone is working from home so probably nobody is checking the vm in the office.

Update- I got the email to take the jurisprudence today!!!!
So it was around two weeks from passing the EPPP to getting this email.

Update- I got the email to take the jurisprudence today!!!!
So it was around two weeks from passing the EPPP to getting this email.
I on the other hand am still waiting. But I'm applying with a passed EPPP from another state- waiting on them to approve the rest of my documentation. While it sounds like you got all the other documentation already processed in WA and took the EPPP here. Congratulations!!!

I on the other hand am still waiting. But I'm applying with a passed EPPP from another state- waiting on them to approve the rest of my documentation. While it sounds like you got all the other documentation already processed in WA and took the EPPP here. Congratulations!!!
Yes I took the EPPP here :) I'm so excited! Once I'm licensed, there will be a new sheriff in town
Stephen Colbert Finger Guns GIF

In Ohio, our jurisprudence is an oral-based exam. They ask you 5 questions. If you pass, they tell you right then and there, and then 10 minutes later they email you your digital wall certificate (they print it out on fancy paper with a seal and mail it to you weeks later); you get an email of your license card that shows you active as of that day.

I am pursuing licensure in Texas now, glad the exam is open book and have two weeks. I will use "control F" religiously.

Last edited:
Update in case anyone cares- I took the jurisprudence (online!) and it's been more than 2 weeks since I heard back about my results.

I called the general health licensing board and finally the staff took pity on me and forwarded me to a voicemail of some supervisor in the psychology licensing department.

Lo and behold, this morning I wake up to an email that is a response to my original email from 06/29 asking when I can take the exam. The response just said they authorized me to take it in early July and they are waiting on my scores (waiting on what scores? For me to take it or for some gremlin in the computer to score it?)

So I guess their email response time is over a month, and even then I had to call and escalate it up the chain. And they have the gall to charge $500 for the application.

In Ohio, our jurisprudence is an oral-based exam. They ask you 5 questions. If you pass, they tell you right then and there, and then 10 minutes later they email you your digital wall certificate (they print it out on fancy paper with a seal and mail it to you weeks later); you get an email of your license card that shows you active as of that day.

I am pursuing licensure in Texas now, glad the exam is open book and have two weeks. I will use "control F" religiously.
Open book and 2 weeks...that is definitely a change! IIRC, they used to offer the exam a few times a year, and often applicants had to wait MONTHS to get a slot to take it. I looked seriously at a couple of jobs in TX over the past 10 years and their JP was one of the more annoying hoops.

If you happen to do any expert work and you want to do it in Texas, definitely do your research. I can't remember the exact rule/regulation, but there was something that was bad about TX and that kind of work. It's bugging me I can't remember what it was, but it was enough for me to cross off TX from ever being a state where I would get licensed and practice.

Open book and 2 weeks...that is definitely a change! IIRC, they used to offer the exam a few times a year, and often applicants had to wait MONTHS to get a slot to take it. I looked seriously at a couple of jobs in TX over the past 10 years and their JP was one of the more annoying hoops.

If you happen to do any expert work and you want to do it in Texas, definitely do your research. I can't remember the exact rule/regulation, but there was something that was bad about TX and that kind of work. It's bugging me I can't remember what it was, but it was enough for me to cross off TX from ever being a state where I would get licensed and practice.

It's a PSYPACT state now, better to just get your IPC and temporarily practice that way.

Indeed - Texas has some rules/ guidelines/ legislation regarding who is permitted to engage in neuropsych and forensic work, especially as it relates to services rendered to the government, but I also believe to work for various organizations such as an AMC, etc.

Forensic: Qualifications as experts as indicated in Article 46B.022 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure, and provide documentation of relevant forensic training. (Texas Code of Criminal Procedure Article 46B.022 - Experts: Qualifications)

Neuropsych: https://www.bhec.texas.gov/wp-conte...ng-Competency-in-Clinical-Neuropsychology.pdf

Last edited:
Indeed - Texas has some rules/ guidelines/ legislation regarding who is permitted to engage in neuropsych and forensic work, especially as it relates to services rendered to the government, but I also believe to work for various organizations such as an AMC, etc.

Forensic: Qualifications as experts as indicated in Article 46B.022 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure, and provide documentation of relevant forensic training. (Texas Code of Criminal Procedure Article 46B.022 - Experts: Qualifications)

Neuropsych: https://www.bhec.texas.gov/wp-conte...ng-Competency-in-Clinical-Neuropsychology.pdf

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the forensic qualification only pertains to identified experts in criminal proceedings in TX. As for the neuropsych qualifications, I wish more states would adopt the TX rules there. Far too many people who have no idea what they are doing and do not have the requisite background.

Sorry my complaining must seem ridiculous compared to what other people have gone through :p
I get a pay bump when I get licensed, so I am thinking of all the money lost the more time goes by.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the forensic qualification only pertains to identified experts in criminal proceedings in TX. As for the neuropsych qualifications, I wish more states would adopt the TX rules there. Far too many people who have no idea what they are doing and do not have the requisite background.

You are right - however, based on a very brief review of available forensic jobs open in Houston, TX, every single one of them cited that requirement as something a candidate needs to have achieved in order to be hired. I think that mostly is associated with the fact that in their position as a forensic psychologist with say Harris County or UT Health Houston, they would likely be in a position where they would be providing frequent court testimony. I could be wrong.

You are right - however, based on a very brief review of available forensic jobs open in Houston, TX, every single one of them cited that requirement as something a candidate needs to have achieved in order to be hired. I think that mostly is associated with the fact that in their position as a forensic psychologist with say Harris County or UT Health Houston, they would likely be in a position where they would be providing frequent court testimony. I could be wrong.

Sure, some institutional jobs with govt/municipal affiliations would be subject to this, but there are a lot of people who will only do civil legal work.

Sure, some institutional jobs with govt/municipal affiliations would be subject to this, but there are a lot of people who will only do civil legal work.

Indeed - and that's what I am doing now, but that may change in the future as I grow my competencies. The forensic guidelines are a bit more flexible than one might see in neuropsych, especially as they relate to who can call themselves a forensic psychologist. Typically, if the nature of your work is done so in the context of answering a forensic question, or the methods used are using a forensic approach, whether it be civil or criminal, then one could technically establish themselves as a forensic psychologist (this being a rudimentary definition, and by no means exhaustive). For those interested, I've provided the link to the forensic guidelines :)

Forensic Guidelines: Specialty guidelines for forensic psychology

Last edited:
I have amazing news (for me).
Looks like my earlier calling/emailing paid off. I received an email from a supervisor at the DOH yesterday, saying like "you should have received your jurisprudence results and your license has been processed"

I wish I knew the name of the department of health employee that forwarded me to this supervisor's voicemail box and give them a giftbasket or something.
But honestly, like they could have processed it all along!! Clearly it did not take long to process an online jurisprudence exam or the background check that is supposed to occur after, without me needing to put up a fuss but like my mom says "don't expect people to just hand you things on a silver platter, you need to get it yourself."

Reactions: 3 users
After repeated persistent calling, at long last, I have been approved to take the Jurisprudence exam! The supervisor I finally got to speak to acknowledged that they in fact have had my materials and processed them for 6 weeks but that they did not realize they had it so never sent the approval email. She apologized and sent my approval email immediately. Any tips @bluecolourskies ?

After repeated persistent calling, at long last, I have been approved to take the Jurisprudence exam! The supervisor I finally got to speak to acknowledged that they in fact have had my materials and processed them for 6 weeks but that they did not realize they had it so never sent the approval email. She apologized and sent my approval email immediately. Any tips @bluecolourskies ?
Yes ctr+f is your friend!! and then you may need to bug them again to score your exam…

• Love