Just call me "AverageMan"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MayoMan

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
All right, medical school has been blasting ahead full force for ten weeks now, and I feel like I've really learned a lot of useful material. One thing I have a problem with (as many of you probably do) is when it comes to test time, even after all of that studying and learning, I don't do as well as I would like to-usually around the class average or a little better, and end up feeling like if I would have done this different or studied that a little harder I would have done better. Anyone else feel this way? Also, I know there have been many discussions on this board about grades during Years I and II, class rank, etc. and how they affect board scores and residency selection. What's the definitive answer on that?

Cheers,

MayoMan

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, med school can be frustrating. You just have to learn to choose your battles... there's no way you'll know EVERYTHING.

As for grades, they don't matter. The most important thing you do during the first two years is take Step I. The way I understand it, residencies care about your Step I score (and maybe Step II, if you take it early enough) and your clincal grades (Years 3 & 4). The other stuff is minor.

Try not to stess too much. :D

Amy is right....being average is ok, unless you want to go into super-competitive residency programs. I think the key to getting into ANY specialty (if your grades and board scores are not top notch) is not caring about where you might end up doing your residency training. Picking both your specialty AND where you want to do it is tougher, but it can still happen.

Also, keep in mind that there are a lot of specialties out there. I know everyone knows this, but it is easy to forget. For example, I am pretty sure that I don't want to do Family Practice, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, or any Surgery Specialty. Well, at my particular school, about 2/3rd's of the class (historically) end up matching into one of those specialties. So, if I apply to residency programs here at my school, I won't be competing with about 2/3rds of my class. Plus, most schools (especially in my region of the country) probably prefer medical students that went to their particular school. So, hypothetically, I don't have to compete with 2/3rds of my class, AND I have an advantage over students who are applying from elsewhere.

Anyway, that is just an example of the fact that it doesn't take a top 10 GPA/Step I score to get into a specialty that you want. And, like Amy said, don't stress too much. Easier said than done, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Great Response!!:clap:
I often think of the same thing.... doing average in class, when in undergrad, getting A's (top of the class all the time) was relatively easy.

My school is Pass/Fail. (with honors)
Its the best!:)

I go to Wayne (detroit) and its the ONLY school in the metro detroit area (u of M is kinda close), so we have ~ 14 hospitals to choose from for 3rd and 4th years, and then those hospitals usually pick from our school!
;)
Definetly better than competing with multiple schools in one city (chicago, cali schools,...)

That said, I still think about class rank, scores, ...sometimes it keeps me motivated, sometimes its depressing! cant help it:laugh:

Great replies, everyone! I talked to some of the "elder" med students at school, and they basically repeated everything that was said here. Step I is what's really important. Quick question-does anyone feel at their school the professor's have their favorites, i.e., the gunners of the class?