Just curious - anyone been thru Massey?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muttmommy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard they have a rather attractive admissions policy of forgiveness of certain requirements or something like that if you've been out of school for a period of time? There's no way I'd make it there anytime soon - but I liked their policy. Curious too about the school - is it hard once one does get in? Is it hard to get in as a foreign student and are those kind of students treated any differently? I guess I mean is it similar to the U.S. in any way?

Thanks - appreciate any input!

Members don't see this ad.

Presume you mean Massey in New Zealand? (Is there another Massey elsewhere??)

Anyway, seeing as no Massey graduates have jumped in here...I'm planning on applying there this year and have had a quite a bit of contact with the administrators regarding admission requirements etc (as a New Zealand student). Without wanting to speak for them, I think they do offer some flexibility in terms of when you last studied - e.g. for myself, they are happy to use some marks from 14 years ago for my application.

However, they are quite strict in terms of subject prerequisites - for example, even though I have a PhD in biochemistry and had met all the chemistry and biology prerequisities, I had never done a university-level physics course, and they insisted I do one before I could apply.

It is quite difficult to get accepted into Massey - it's the only vet school in New Zealand, they only offer 72 places each year and have around 300-400 applicants. That's for domestic students, but I imagine a similar situation would exist for the intake of foreign students.

From what I have heard from talking to recent graduates, the course itself seems to be regarded as tough but also fun, and apparently the school is very supportive of the students. I don't think foreign students are treated any differently whatsoever.

Not sure if that helps, here are a couple of links that you might find useful:

http://vet-school.massey.ac.nz/selection.asp

http://sciences.massey.ac.nz/degrees/degree.asp?ID=34

muttmommy said:
I heard they have a rather attractive admissions policy of forgiveness of certain requirements or something like that if you've been out of school for a period of time? There's no way I'd make it there anytime soon - but I liked their policy. Curious too about the school - is it hard once one does get in? Is it hard to get in as a foreign student and are those kind of students treated any differently? I guess I mean is it similar to the U.S. in any way?

Thanks - appreciate any input!

giles said:
Presume you mean Massey in New Zealand? (Is there another Massey elsewhere??)

Anyway, seeing as no Massey graduates have jumped in here...I'm planning on applying there this year and have had a quite a bit of contact with the administrators regarding admission requirements etc (as a New Zealand student). Without wanting to speak for them, I think they do offer some flexibility in terms of when you last studied - e.g. for myself, they are happy to use some marks from 14 years ago for my application.

However, they are quite strict in terms of subject prerequisites - for example, even though I have a PhD in biochemistry and had met all the chemistry and biology prerequisities, I had never done a university-level physics course, and they insisted I do one before I could apply.

It is quite difficult to get accepted into Massey - it's the only vet school in New Zealand, they only offer 72 places each year and have around 300-400 applicants. That's for domestic students, but I imagine a similar situation would exist for the intake of foreign students.

From what I have heard from talking to recent graduates, the course itself seems to be regarded as tough but also fun, and apparently the school is very supportive of the students. I don't think foreign students are treated any differently whatsoever.

Not sure if that helps, here are a couple of links that you might find useful:

http://vet-school.massey.ac.nz/selection.asp

http://sciences.massey.ac.nz/degrees/degree.asp?ID=34

Hi! I'm also applying to Massey for next year... Just need to finish up 2 semesters of organic chemistry. It sounds like a really great school. I'm from California, but thought it would be an awesome experience to go to grad school overseas... New Zealand seemed like the most appeealing location! Anyway, maybe I'll see you there next year!

What are the pre-requisites required for entrance? Have you completed all? Do you need genetics? what other vet schools are you applying to? do you know how much is the tuition? are you working on your application, essay now?

katemez said:
Hi! I'm also applying to Massey for next year... Just need to finish up 2 semesters of organic chemistry. It sounds like a really great school. I'm from California, but thought it would be an awesome experience to go to grad school overseas... New Zealand seemed like the most appeealing location! Anyway, maybe I'll see you there next year!