Just finished D1 year at Rutgers Dental. AMA!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

explorertip

Reaction score
I reactivated my account because I just finished D1, and it feels weird not having anything to do. Ask me questions and I'll answer as honestly as I can

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Tips for getting a decent score in organic/ gen chem sections?

Favorite things about D1 year? Hardest things about D1 year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Tips for getting a decent score in organic/ gen chem sections?

For gen chem, there really is only a number of different questions they can ask you. There is 100% going to be questions on redox, stoichiometry, limiting reagents, etc. Learn the material and try to do as many practice questions as you can until you get comfortable with the material.
For organic chem, know reaction products and reagents. Write it down, make a flow chart, repear.. Try and remember the basics of what you learned in your undergraduate class. You want to be able to apply the information, not simply memorize it.

Favorite things about D1 year? Hardest things about D1 year?

Best thing about being a D1 is definitely meeting new people. The socials after orientation and throughout the year were really fun too! We experienced going to Gala for the first time last January and it was the highlight of our year :) Academic wise, I love that we got exposure to digital dentistry and got to try our hand at it too.

Hardest thing is really figuring out how to work with your hands. We all come in with "manual dexterity" experience but the preclinic work is totally different. Waxing and prepping teeth to precise and accurate criteria is a headache, but it forces us to have a high standard to our work. I wouldn't say that the classes are harder, but there is much more material being tested so prepare for that!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Is Rutgers OOS friendly?
VERY! We have tons of people from different states, especially Florida! OOS students can also apply to get in-state tuition after the 1st year, and most people usually get it.

What loupes did you get? What about the magnification, it's 2.5 enough? Should we get adjustables ones?

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

What loupes did you get? What about the magnification, it's 2.5 enough? Should we get adjustables ones?

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

I got my loupes from Q-optics, which was the most affordable out of all the other brands, and it works great for me! We were all told to get 2.5x magnification so that's what we all have. Not sure what you mean about adjustable ones though

I got my loupes from Q-optics, which was the most affordable out of all the other brands, and it works great for me! We were all told to get 2.5x magnification so that's what we all have. Not sure what you mean about adjustable ones though
I think he means if you can get something like the Orascoptic Eyezoom Mini which can adjust between 2.5 and 3.5 magnification. It seems most people here are recommending 3.5x. So the commenter thought getting something adjustable might help meet the requirement of 2.5x but still give you the flexibility to use higher magnification without getting a whole new set of loupes.

Did you have any expectations before starting school that turned out differently from what you thought?

Hi! Im currently doing my masters at Rutgers and I'm applying to their dental school. Do I have any leverage in my chances with Rutger's dental school since I'm already affiliated with the school?

Any people fail out or drop out first year?
Yes, we have 4 fewer people in our class.

I think he means if you can get something like the Orascoptic Eyezoom Mini which can adjust between 2.5 and 3.5 magnification. It seems most people here are recommending 3.5x. So the commenter thought getting something adjustable might help meet the requirement of 2.5x but still give you the flexibility to use higher magnification without getting a whole new set of loupes.
I see. The school requires 2.5x, but it is up to you really if you want to get something else since it is your money. No one ever checked the magnification for our loupes.

Rutgers was my first choice but didn't get in unfortunately and went elsewhere. I've always wondered how the social dynamics were in your class (competitive, collaborative, cliquey, etc)?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using SDN mobile

Did you have any expectations before starting school that turned out differently from what you thought?
I was highly involved in undergrad and thought that there wouldn't be too many "extra-curriculars" I could be part of. There are tons of different clubs at RSDM and it's very easy to get involved with e-board positions as well. Also thought that as D1s, we would be at the bottom of the totem pole... and although we are, it doesn't feel like it. The upperclassmen have been more than willing to help us out which made our transition so much smoother than I had expected.

how much debt do you plan on having? did you have an idea about how your going to repay it?
The only thing I pay for with my loans are tuitions, fees, and my living situation.. We borrow almost 100K a year and I return as much as I can to my loan providers. From the moment that our aid is dispersed, there is a grace period where you can make a payment and it will go straight to your principal rather than your interest. Definitely take advantage of that! I also make sure not to wait until I graduate to start repaying, since interest accrues while you're still in school. So over the summer, I try to work and allot a portion of my earnings towards my loans.

A lot of loan providers also have loan forgiveness. There are conditions that you have to fulfill (like making consecutive payments for a certain number of years) that will make you eligible for it.. but it's different for every loan provider so definitely do some research on it!

Hi! Im currently doing my masters at Rutgers and I'm applying to their dental school. Do I have any leverage in my chances with Rutger's dental school since I'm already affiliated with the school?
I believe you have some leverage! Apparently, if you get a certain gpa during your masters, you are guaranteed an interview. Not sure about the specifics of it but hopefully someone who did a masters and got accepted will see this and provide some input.

Rutgers was my first choice but didn't get in unfortunately and went elsewhere. I've always wondered how the social dynamics were in your class (competitive, collaborative, cliquey, etc)?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using SDN mobile
It varies. Our class is very collaborative and we all pretty much help each other out and share study guides and notes. The upperclassmen pass down all their resources to us too.. There will always be competitiveness among some people since our school ranks. Socially, friend groups have formed but we're all still very cordial with one another.

Any advice for incoming D1's? I still have a month left, should I start studying any topics?