Just found out I failed the COMLEX PE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted732978

Hello all...So I started my day today with a notification that I had failed the PE. Can't say I'm 100% surprised as I had some crazy family turmoil leading up to it, but it is what it is. I wanted to take today to just relax because I can barely breath with all this anxiety, but I just have some burning questions I feel I need to have answered.

I've rescheduled my exam for June 8th - is this too late for AOA programs? I am pretty confident I will pass this time around, but if I'm cutting it too close to that earlier ERAS deadline I did see some earlier dates I could switch to. I just preferred not to do the earlier ones because I will be on my surgery rotation and wanted to have enough days off leading up to the test to really get my head together. Any opinions on this?

Also, is there any way I can hide this failing score if I pass the June 8th PE? Googling around seems to suggest that it's impossible to do so for AOA programs but it can be done for ACGME. How does that work exactly? And what about dual-accredited programs? I am planning to apply to PM&R programs and Prelim years this coming fall and would greatly appreciate any answers, advice, anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Why don’t you wait til you get your new results back to apply? I don’t think it will matter for most places if your other board scores are good and you had a decent first two years. Just be prepared to answer questions about what happened if it’s brought up on your interview and realize that even if you aren’t asked you’ll still be screened to see if it was because you’re awkward or something.

It is definitely not too late to take it in June. Most of my class didn't take it till September at the earliest of our 4th year. One friend failed his PE and had to retake it in January I believe. He still matched into psych so don't feel like this is a death sentence!

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve known of many people who have failed COMLEX and USMLE...and have gotten in. @Kissmyabjj is a good example. I’ve seen two from each of the previous three years. But there’s no denying that you’ve got to want it and must have a good strategy to pull it off.