Just getting started. Need some pointers

Started by billydoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

billydoc

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi All! I need some advise. Of course, this thread is not a substitute for the "search" button, but...I'm a recent convert to "doing the things right". Which means going through the standard med school admission process, and forget the shortcuts. I was previously accepted to ROSS,SABA, and SMU in the Caribbean, but it's a different story altogether.
I've been out of school (which is relavent to science) for over 16 years. I did take some scattered classes in 1999, and got the "whooping "C" in Orgo1. (though working full-time and beyond 😱 )I don't want to repeat my stats here...basically I've got crapload of the clinical experience, even attended med school in Europe in 1980s, but I'm quite weak in basic science, esp physics and organic chem. Back in 2003 I baught MCAT Kaplan prep course, but never got around to it, because I ventured out to ROSS University. That's also a different story. But that Kaplan kit is still "brand spanking 2003 new" 😛 . What do you guys sugguest I do? basically I have all the prereqs from like 18 years ago, but for the D.O schools I'll probably retake physics and Orgo, since those are the weakest links. I realize it's too late for the 2007, since I've never taken the MCAT. How would you guys advise me to strtucture my studies? Also, I don't want to buy another $1500 something kit. Is 2003 any good (I hope)? Sorry for being a PIA. Please give some pointers.

Thanks a lot
 
Ahh.. paragraph breaks, please! 🙄

2003 is fine in terms of content. What you'll want though is to buy CBT exams (and do some of the free ones offered by Kaplan and TPR).

I don't know what advice I can give in terms of studying, except... if there are any high school remediation courses offered in your area, take them for Physics 12 / Chem 12.

I don't know what the US is like, but if it's anything like Canada, Physics 12 / Chem 12 will give you a lot of knowledge needed for both MCAT and Physics 12 was like half of 1st year physics for me.
 
Hey there, also just as a suggestion, do a forum search and check out +35 study habits threads. There's TONS of suggestions in those, that are really helpful. With that, i'm sure you could tailor your study plan to suit your needs from seeing what works for others. My suggestion, study loads (examcrackers) for a few months before, whilst doing their practice questions, and maybe some Kaplan practice exams, and then do TONS of the AAMC full lengths.

Kaplan is good, but I find they include far more material than you need. You'll work a lot harder than you have to with Kaplan. Just my two cents, on the other hand, I know a LOT of people who do well using Kaplan.