Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Just got a phone call for an interview to NECO

Discussion in 'Pre-Optometry' started by MikeSD, Mar 12, 2007.

1. MikeSD

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    I got a phone call from the school today and was invited for an interview. Im very excited but feeling down after looking through this website. This is my 3rd year applying and only had 1 interview before this. My grades are not great, oats are average, but what I have is a lot of experience in this field. I even obtained my abo and ncle license. The reason why I'm feeling down is because my interview is very late compared to all you guys. Im sure the class is almost filled now, and feel that I have a slim chance of getting in. I scheduled my interview on april 13 which is 1 month away! I had the opportunity to have the interview on march 30, but was filled by the time I called back:( Does having an interview so late in the process decreases my chances of getting in? This is my passion and I know I need to stay optimistic.

2. Eye-Spy

5+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    That's right, you need to stay optimistic. Think of it this way, if there was no chance of you getting in this late in the process because of your grades/OAT, they wouldn't have invited you for an interview. So just wow them at the interview with all your experience/credentials and hope for the best.

Good Luck!

3. luckyfool

luckyfool SUNY Opt
    5+ Year Member

Optometrist
    No diggity.
    Generally, with an average GPA and OAT score, your chance of getting in decreases exponentially at this time of year. You should apply much earlier next time.

4. OP
    OP
    MikeSD

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    Actually I sent everything in on Oct of last year.

5. IDoctor

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    Yes, your chances are lower now than if they had asked you to interview in December or January, when there are very few seats taken. The remaining seats are more competitive.

It seems you truly have an interest in the field, but have you done anything substantial in these three years to improve your chances of getting into a school? My general feeling is that passion for the subject (although important) isnt enough to get you into a school. Because when it comes down to it, if accepted, you will represent the school by improving their publicity (board pass rates, research, etc). One of the ODs i met at NECO said that he had never been in an exam room until after he had been accepted into NECO.

have you went back to school to raise your GPA or take a review course to improve your OATs? NECO especially is a good research school, maybe if you do not get in this year, try to get a research assistant position in some form of research to improve your chances the following year.

6. forum stalker

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    I will decline my seat at NECO for fall 2007. So one more seat for you. Good luck!

7. carizma12

2+ Year Member

I as well - am declining my interview

8. OP
    OP
    MikeSD

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    I have taken several classes this past 3 years but it wasnt enough to raise my gpa significantly. I spent 5 years at an University and took a lot of classes. I have a lot of knowledge in this field due to work and all the licenses I studied hard for. I have a full month to research and hopefully blow them away at the interview. I hope they can look pass my GPA, and see that this is passion and will do everything I can to become a great Dr.

9. OP
    OP
    MikeSD

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    Wow, guess this is a top choice for many people. Ill take what i can get:D

10. Canadian26

Canadian26 Member
    5+ Year Member

I havent decided yet, but I might decline as well.

11. OP
    OP
    MikeSD

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    can you guys tell me about the interview process in detail?