Just got accepted but with no physics. If I just show up in August...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

Mte123

I just got accepted to dental school. However, I haven't taken any of the physics requirements yet. The checklist they sent said I should have it done before school starts, but if I just show up in August, would they do anything? Would they even notice?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes they will. Usually upon acceptance, you are required to make at least a C in any remaining science classes. If they check that out, there's a chance they could revoke your acceptance.

But does anybody know for sure? If I have paid in full, the 65,000+ tuition, they would just tell me to leave?

Members don't see this ad :)
But does anybody know for sure? If I have paid in full, the 65,000+ tuition, they would just tell me to leave?

Its conditional. You are accepted under the condition you fulfill all the prereqs. You can risk it if you want, but you cant say you weren't warned.

yeah, it's conditional. You have to take physics. If I were you, I would ask your college if they will let you take physics I and II simultaneously this summer. But why didn't you take physics already? Most dental schools require it, don't they?

yeah, it's conditional. You have to take physics. If I were you, I would ask your college if they will let you take physics I and II simultaneously this summer. But why didn't you take physics already? Most dental schools require it, don't they?

I didn't take it because its not on the dats and I wanted to take it over the summer. Its obviously not one of the important prereqs. I'm already accepted so I'm not excited to have to work through physics. I really can't spend my time on something else?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope... And do realize that although you were accepted, there's hundreds of applicants all ready to take your spot up until the first day of class, should you slip. Usually they do a credit evaluation first and then financial aid which is usually awarded after a few weeks into the quarter (from my inquiry) so I doubt you'd get your $65,000 tuition paid before they figured it out. I'd call your school.

I didn't take it because its not on the dats and I wanted to take it over the summer. Obviously its not a big deal. Nobody cares. And I'm already accepted so I'm not excited to have to work through physics. I really can't get away without it?

I would just do it. Many people here are working their tails off to get accepted anywhere and would love to be in your position. You should have no problem sailing through Physics 1 and 2 at this point if dental school is really right for you. You're not so valuable to the school that they would consider bending their rules because you're uninterested in physics. They have an entire waitlist of people eager to hear some good news.

I didn't take it because its not on the dats and I wanted to take it over the summer. Obviously its not a big deal. Nobody cares. And I'm already accepted so I'm not excited to have to work through physics. I really can't get away without it?

You absoluletly, 100% have to take physics. There is NO question aout it. The reason it hasn't been asked about yet is because people are still in classes and expected to graduate, thus their final transcripts aren't in yet. In an earlier post you said "what if I pay tuition, are they just going to kick me out?," or something like that... The answer is that they will catch it long before the start of class.

A question similar to yours was asked at ony of my interviews (a kid was one pre-req short and the class was only offered in the fall semester at his school, and this was 1/2 into the fall semester)... and the director of admissions at that specific school stated that auditing the pre-requisites of their students is an accreditation requirement so they have absolutely no wiggle room.

Physics really isn't that bad, when you can focus solely on it (like you would do in the summer). I took physics I and II in an eight week block (four weeks each) during the summer and in my opinion, it was the best way I could have taken it. You already have an acceptance, just buckle down for a few weeks and you'll be in the clear! Don't try to wiggle your way out of physics, because it will only come back to haunt you... I promise.

Okay, so what about pass/fail? Will it affect anything if I take physics pass/fail? Do I have to ask the dental school for permission for that?

I just got accepted to dental school. However, I haven't taken any of the physics requirements yet. The checklist they sent said I should have it done before school starts, but if I just show up in August, would they do anything? Would they even notice?

Sound like you have difficulty understanding the conditions. They may not "even notice" in August, but they most certainly will notice it at some point in time and then they may show you the nearest exit door. You may end up being the one who "knows for sure" and do keep us posted. As for your 65K in tuition, is that supposed to be a bribe that they cannot resist? Just what the dental profession needed; individuals who are willing to do anything to achieve their goal and bucking for fame on the 5 o'clock news.

I understand that at this point you really don't want to take it. My suggestion is to call the school, talk to them about the pass/fail, and see if you can do it at a CC or online. I took physics I online over a summer (it was the only this offered) and it counted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, the 5'oclock news. That was my next stop. But first I want to point out that Physics is pointless. As evidenced by the DATs. And OSU only requiring one semester. And never taking it in dental school. And that I got accepted without it. And that that guy took it online. I also want to say that I know a guy in medical school who got in with a prereq missing and nobody ever bothered him. I could also be doing much better things with my time than 12 weeks of physics to "fulfill a requirement". Like getting on the 5'oclock news.

And that 65,000 BETTER BE A BRIBE OF SOME SORT!

Yes, the 5'oclock news. That was my next stop. But first I want to point out that Physics is pointless. As evidenced by the DATs. And OSU only requiring one semester. And never taking it in dental school. And that I got accepted without it. And that that guy took it online. I also want to say that I know a guy in medical school who got in with a prereq missing and nobody ever bothered him. I could also be doing much better things with my time than 12 weeks of physics to "fulfill a requirement". Like getting on the 5'oclock news.

I see the sarcasm, but if you're not willing the fulfill your end of the bargain, there are countless other people out there that will jump at the opportunity. It sucks, but why are you making a big deal out of it? All of the other pre-dents went through the motions, why should you be so special not to?

Sound like you have difficulty understanding the conditions. They may not "even notice" in August, but they most certainly will notice it at some point in time and then they may show you the nearest exit door. You may end up being the one who "knows for sure" and do keep us posted. As for your 65K in tuition, is that supposed to be a bribe that they cannot resist? Just what the dental profession needed; individuals who are willing to do anything to achieve their goal and bucking for fame on the 5 o'clock news.

I think the OP is a troll. Just looking to stir up some argument. I don't really believe that a person could be this ridiculous:thumbdown:.

And that 65,000 BETTER BE A BRIBE OF SOME SORT
!

And this is how we know you are a troll. :sleep:

I see the sarcasm, but if you're not willing the fulfill your end of the bargain, there are countless other people out there that will jump at the opportunity. It sucks, but why are you making a big deal out of it? All of the other pre-dents went through the motions, why should you be so special not to?

Because I got a 15 on the QR and I don't want physics killing my undergrad GPA. Not that it matters anymore but I want to be able to say to my kids "How can you get a b? Look at my GPA from college!" And maybe the 5'oclock new...

I know exactly how you feel. Just find an easy prof and do it, you've got an acceptance in hand. Physics profs never fail students who get into dschool. And if they attempt to just bribe em.

Never went the bribing route but 65000 for dental has to be going for something other than those fancy mirrors that don't fog in people's mouths.

Never went the bribing route but 65000 for dental has to be going for something other than those fancy mirrors that don't fog in people's mouths.

They don't need you as a student that bad.

actually it is. everyone else is filling their requirements

Right. I understand that. But i mean once the school year has started its not worth it for them to then say "you have to leave"

I am pretty sure they will ask you to send the transcript. You said they sent you the checklist meaning they know you did not take it. You should simply take it whatever your opinion about Physics is. Well, if you still do not want to, just don't take it and let me know what happens in August.

Well, actually, it is worth it for them to tell you to leave. Says a lot about your character if you're not willing to take 2 easy courses in the summer. If you are having thoughts about not taking it, it makes me question whether you're even equipped to handle the rigours of dental school.

Just take the courses. Or don't. Whatever. Let us know how it goes come August..

btw, which school did you get into? I saw your post about NYU. is it somewhere else or nyu?

No, it was a generic checklist that said "make sure you do what you you're supposed to" There are 250 new students plus the 1300 already there. They are really going to go over everyones application again?

True but its not worth turning me down over physics.

Because I got a 15 on the QR and I don't want physics killing my undergrad GPA. Not that it matters anymore but I want to be able to say to my kids "How can you get a b? Look at my GPA from college!" And maybe the 5'oclock new...

Seriously? If you think you can get away with it, then do it.

are you serious? I cannot believe this. Obviously you're scared that you're going to fail. You are banking on getting in dental school so that you can put in zero effort because at that point "they won't kick you out".

No, dental schools kick people out. I have a real issue with motivation though. For me to do something, there has to really be a clearly defined necessity because once I start something, I'm all in.

It is absolutely worth it to them to rescind your acceptance, if necessary. I'm guessing you'll have to turn in a hefty, non-refundable deposit to hold your place. If you show up without the required courses, they'll just pick from the long waitlist of other deserving students and gobble up your deposit without looking back. Don't be silly...just take the courses.

No, dental schools kick people out. I have a real issue with motivation though. For me to do something, there has to really be a clearly defined necessity because once I start something, I'm all in.

So you are an exception? Why did the other 4000 accepted applicants take physics? What about my motivation? Is it less justified than yours? You want to be a dentist, but you don't want to put in all the work. end of story.

Bottom line is your going to have to take the physics classes. Good news is that you can probably do both of them though your local university or community college over the summer. If those classes arnt offered though your local schools, there are plently of places that offer the courses online. Take the classes, then have the transcripts forwarded from where ever to the dental school your attending. Follow this plan and you'll be fine. Your really quite lucky actually; I got turned down at a few schools because of not having biochem completed, even though I was going to take during the summer and have done before matriculation.

NYU is $64,607 so OP probably got accepted to NYU. http://www.nyu.edu/dental/financialservices/tuitionfeesexpensesdds.html

btw, which school did you get into? I saw your post about NYU. is it somewhere else or nyu?

Hmmm......NYU

No, it was a generic checklist that said "make sure you do what you you're supposed to" There are 250 new students plus the 1300 already there. They are really going to go over everyones application again?

Gotta be NYU. BTW, OP, according to past SDN info, NYU probably has the most active waitlist so I wouldn't be surprised if NYU kicks you off the exit stage.

Moderators should just close this thread because this forum is to help others. The OP obviously doesn't need help despite the many unanimous advices.

NYU's tuition is 56,000. And I think they said they accept 700 people for their class. That probably does mean an active waiting list. At case they only accept 10% above their class size.

Should you make it to ds, make sure to tell the Dean your view on the importance of the pre clinical courses. OSU may only require one semester of physics but it is sure as heck it is trumped by the requirement for anatomy, biochem, micro and physiology. Maybe you should try gaining acceptance to OSU or to a medical school near you that is lackadaisical about their requirements..

You asked for people's advice. Lots of people told you to take the physics classes, because if you don't, you'll lose your acceptance. You may have your reasoning about why you don't think it's important (not on the DAT (there's no such thing as DATs, by the way), other schools don't require it, you've already been accepted, they don't teach it in dental school, etc). But the bottom line is, the school wants you to take those courses. If you don't want to play by their rules, they don't want you in their school. Personally, I hope that you don't take those classes, so you can see how stupid you are to sacrifice an acceptance to dental school just to make a point.

NYU's tuition is 56,000. And I think they said they accept 700 people for their class. That probably does mean an active waiting list. At case they only accept 10% above their class size.

What NYU accepts 700 students :rofl:Did you really interview there or this imformation is off of their checklist and booklet.

AND if you OPEN your eyes and look around, you'll see why physics is not so pointless as you think. It is a shame it is not in DAT IMO.

If you don't take it, they will take away your acceptance. During the first semester of dental/medical school, they audit which courses you've taken in your undergrad since your acceptance to make sure that you've completed them.

My sister got audited, and they found out that she was missing one lab...they were going to take her acceptance away. The only reason they didn't is b/c she had a mixup when her school went from a quarter to semester system...so they let it slide...

...but that was after hours of begging and pleading.

DON'T RISK IT!!! Take the stupid course, or else you WILL get kicked out once they find out you didn't take it.

Last edited:
If you don't take it, they will take away your acceptance. During the first semester of dental/medical school, they audit which courses you've taken in your undergrad after acceptance to make sure that you've completed them.

My sister got audited, and they found out that she was missing one lab...they were going to take her acceptance away. The only reason they didn't is b/c she had a mixup when her school went from quarter to semester...so they let it slide...

...but that was after hours of begging and pleading.

DON'T RISK IT!!! Take the stupid course, or else you WILL get kicked out once they find out you didn't take it.

...and oh yeah...this was AFTER her medical school had already started...in the middle of fall semester of her first year.

If you want to be an idiot and risk it, go for it...but I wouldn't.

It's a shame that you have intentions like this. I would enroll in a heartbeat if my acceptance was on the line. I wouldn't take any chances if I were you. Honestly, if you've done all of the pre-reqs and upper-level science classes, physics won't be as bad as you think. Sure, there's some math in it...but it's all "plug and chug" if you have the concepts down. Besides, there are some applicable subjects in physics to dentistry i.e. tension and torque. You might even benefit from the electricity chapters for when you're dealing with dental instruments..Take this opportunity to actually learn something. I know you want to celebrate the summer, but...honestly...there's a whole lot more life to live. So good luck dude! and Congrats!

Last edited:
What NYU accepts 700 students :rofl:Did you really interview there or this imformation is off of their checklist and booklet.

AND if you OPEN your eyes and look around, you'll see why physics is not so pointless as you think. It is a shame it is not in DAT IMO.

I think it's possible that NYU accepts 700 students because many will choose not to go to NYU due to the high tuition and class size. Don't get confused with the rough 230 matriculates.

Just sent in my 2,500 deposit...
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=715993&page=2

I'll check back in August:corny:

Yeah, I hope people are following that. 700 includes waiting list. I doubt it includes the 200 foreign students that join D3 but maybe.

While I understand that with your acceptance to a dental school....you have little to no motivation to complete any further pre-reqs, but your attitude is all wrong. You seem to be under the impression that you are special and don't need to complete the same requirements as your fellow classmates. It might not be all that pertinent but physics is an unavoidable part of dentistry.

I would say to you that you need to lose this sense of privilege and show yourself, the school and your classmates that you deserve to be going dental school. I believe that no one is above any requirement, task or type of work and that humility is a virtue we could all use a little more of.

I agree with the above. It seems you are quite hard headed and are going to do what you want. Also, I understand that you're undergrad GPA is important to you, but what if you do get booted for not having physics. All of that effort will go down the tube as well as chances for next year. The school could potentially grant you acceptance for the next year as long as you completed physics, but they also could completely deny you for trying to get away without completing the pre-req. I met with a person in admissions at my school of interest and they said that taking physics your last semester is not a problem, as long as it is completed. YOU'VE WORKED SO HARD THUS FAR WHY RISK LOSING ACCEPTANCE FOR A MERE CLASS THAT WILL PROBABLY EASIER OVER THE SUMMER ANYWAY!!