Just got accepted but with no physics. If I just show up in August...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OP,

By now I think you get the gist of what everyone is saying. I, too, am struggling with trying to stay focused academically this last semester. But all I can offer you is this. As bad as sitting in class feels right now, as boring as some of your lectures will be, as brutally annoying as studying for your finals will be, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Now, picture that light being snuffed out.

Imagine combining ALL of that suffering into one feeling of disappointment - from not taking your Physics course. Let me be the first to say that I don't know your stats, nor your background. But I KNOW what it is like to have an adcoms door slammed in your face. I KNOW how it feels to be on the outside looking in, wishing you had an opportunity to change things when you cannot. The strength it takes to come back from something like what you are flirting with is not prevalent among many. I don't think you are built for the embarrassment/pain that your decision will cost you, your family, and your future children.

Take the course. Lose your summer. Pass it. Rest up before your classes. Start your new life without any self-inflicting burdens. GL

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you should take Physics this summer- just have a good time with your friends. I'm sure someone on the wait list will be happy to take your place, and you can work at McDonald's while you take Physics in the Fall and try to get in next year.

I don't think you should take Physics this summer- just have a good time with your friends. I'm sure someone on the wait list will be happy to take your place, and you can work at McDonald's while you take Physics in the Fall and try to get in next year.

+1 :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
My transcripts were audited and I got an email this morning that was a course deficiency report.

It was sent out to everyone, it was just information saying they looked at your transcripts to make sure everything is good. I was just saying, for the OP, that my school at least looks very closely at transcripts so hiding a credit would not be a good idea.

I am starting in the fall, btw.

Less than helpful.

LOL. It's less than helpful for someone to tell you that they have personal experience having their transcripts audited by their dental school? You make me laugh:laugh:

Was just sidling by to check the VIDA post, but...

When you're "accepted" before all your prereqs are done, you aren't actually accepted. You're conditionally accepted, which isn't exactly the same thing. Part of your application was a promise to do the prereqs you haven't done with a certain minimum GPA before school starts, and so the acceptance you got is conditional on that. If you don't uphold your end of the bargain, your acceptance is void.

Less than helpful.

Ok then, sorry I wasted my time trying to help you out. You are obviously only looking for one answer so do whatever it is you want.

How are people with this mentality getting into dental school? :rolleyes:

Dude..You're almost there...Don't blow your chance.

Please be careful about what you post on the Internet. I just wanted the OP to be aware of the fact that any current NYUCD student who is reading this thread can report the matter to the Peer Review Board on Ethics and Professionalism, which makes decisions on disciplinary matters involving students. If you come to NYUCD without completing a prerequisite knowing that you are deficient in one of the prerequisites, most likely your admission will be revoked. Make sure to complete it if you want to attend NYUCD this fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
There seems to be a trend of recent posts asking if they took a shortcut through something, would they get caught. Aside from the OBVIOUS ethical violation, why would you even think about risking something you've worked so hard to get? The conditions of your acceptance will be mailed to you later. You will have to sign a contract with the school and you will have to provide your final complete transcripts prior to matriculation. Take your Physics class or whatever equivalent you want, and get your C. If you have a question about whether or not it counts, call the school. Don't post a question here on SDN asking if it's okay to cheat. It's not.

Okay, just so its clear, I was looking for people IN dental school school who have been notified about missing a class after already having started. Thats why the last post was less than helpful.

I am also currently signed up for this summer physics. It just takes the school a little while to answer e-mails so I thought I would get an answer faster from here, personal experience.

Thanks for your help. I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, just so its clear, I was looking for people IN dental school school who have been notified about missing a class after already having started. Thats why the last post was less than helpful.

Maybe you'll find this post helpful then. If you are looking for responses from people already IN dental school, you may want to avoid asking questions in the pre-dental forums. Otherwise, you'll probably get responses from *shock* pre-dental students!

Maybe you'll find this post helpful then. If you are looking for responses from people already IN dental school, you may want to avoid asking questions in the pre-dental forums. Otherwise, you'll probably get responses from *shock* pre-dental students!

Yeah, but I posted it in both and they took the one in the dental section down. Also, I've gotten alot of responses from dental students in the pre-dent forum here and in other posts. The dental forum is pretty specific and less active. No?

There was a mix-up with my pre-req requirements last fall where the admins had said that I was missing 1 physics lab when I had already fulfilled all of my pre-reqs. Believe me they do follow up on it. I wouldn't disregard their "automated" emails just because you think they send it out to everyone as a checklist. They have it tagged in their system as you not having fulfilled those classes with a certain grade. And that stays in their system until they do see a transcript proving otherwise.

So if you didn't take physics or didn't get at least a C, it is in their records and they will revoke your acceptance and give it to someone else eagerly waiting for a spot.

Last edited:
It was during orientation week, but yea classes had already started and everything. The person in the admissions office that oversaw transcripts and pre-req requirements called me up and asked me why I didn't send in my transcript showing that I had taken and passed the physics lab I was missing. Apparently my transcript had been misplaced, so I called up my undergrad school and had them fax over my transcript ASAP. And it was taken care of.

But if you don't take physics...both physics I and II plus their concurrent labs. That's pretty big, and they'll definitely notice it. They won't let you slide with 8 missing credit hours.

It was during orientation week, but yea classes had already started and everything. The person in the admissions office that oversaw transcripts and pre-req requirements called me up and asked me why I didn't send in my transcript showing that I had taken and passed the physics lab I was missing. Apparently my transcript had been misplaced, so I called up my undergrad school and had them fax over my transcript ASAP. And it was taken care of.

But if you don't take physics...both physics I and II plus their concurrent labs. That's pretty big, and they'll definitely notice it. They won't let you slide with 8 missing credit hours.

Sounds good. What school?

I am also currently signed up for this summer physics. It just takes the school a little while to answer e-mails so I thought I would get an answer faster from here, personal experience.

So you emailed the school if it is ok to cheet.

:troll:

I get your point...but the issue that so many people are having with you is your lack of politeness with comments like "less than helpful", etc...

People took time out of their busy schedules to answer your questions (with legitimate points), and yet you have the audacity to reply to those people in a way that makes you look like a pompous jerk. Show some appreciation, and people might take you seriously.

Did you ever think that the reason dental students might not be replying as much is because they see how unappreciative and immature your responses are?

When you reply with that type of tone, expect to be treated the same way in return. I don't think anybody here would have a problem with what you're asking if your replies weren't so rude and disrespectful to those who are just trying to help you out.

Like I said, get a life man.

They won't do anything. Don't worry about it! Congrats on cheating the system!:thumbup:

Right. I understand that. But i mean once the school year has started its not worth it for them to then say "you have to leave"

Most schools will not let you register for classes unless you have no HOLDS on your file... (i.e. financial clearance, final transcripts with grades..etc)...not fulfilling a prerequisite would be a hold...so the whole.."if they find out bid" will get you nowhere...but, by all means, don't get your physics class out of the way and end up not joining your other potential classmates...it really doesn't matter to anyone else on this forum but you, because it's only going to affect you and your family, not ours.

One of the things NYUCD has taught me is that dentists must uphold the highest ethical and professional standards. Dentistry is a wonderful profession, and one of the best things about dentistry is that we have the trust of the public. To be able to practice dentistry is not a right, but is a privilege. When you are in your unsupervised private practice, no one will be looking over your shoulder.

I have NYUCD's Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct in my hands (the document is available to NYUCD students through the Intranet site). According to this document, "furnishing false, incomplete, or misleading information during admissions process" is in violation of the Code, which can lead to dismissal from the College. The last student any dental school would want to admit is someone who, four years from now, may try to get away with one of the deficiencies in the graduation requirements, by furnishing incomplete or misleading information related to clinical work by falsifying patients' clinical record. If the matter is reported to the Peer Review Board (i.e. "the Ethics Committee"), the most likely sanction is dismissal from the College.

Please remember that unethical behavior hurts not only the guilty party but also everyone in the shared profession. Just finish your physics prerequisite, and good luck in your endeavors at NYUCD. You will be proud to attend a school where students are held to the highest standards.

They absolutely do audit and they DO kick students out if they haven't met requirements. If it happens after the first month of school, you will NOT have your tuition refunded so they'll get their $65K "bribe" and still kick you out. As was said before, the schools accreditation rests on having their students meet requirements, and while your acceptance means that they want you at their school, like hell if you think they want you bad enough to risk their accreditation over you. That goes double since NYU is up for reaccreditation next year.

For the record, most private schools accept 2-3x the number of students as they have seats. The state schools can accept just 10% more because most people won't turn them down. The privates have to accept more because they know that many students who got into their state schools will opt to go there for the cheaper tuition so they need to compensate by accepting more. It's in no way a reflection on the caliber of the school... it's more of a reflection on the cost of tuition.

Yes, the 5'oclock news. That was my next stop. But first I want to point out that Physics is pointless. As evidenced by the DATs. And OSU only requiring one semester. And never taking it in dental school. And that I got accepted without it. And that that guy took it online. I also want to say that I know a guy in medical school who got in with a prereq missing and nobody ever bothered him. I could also be doing much better things with my time than 12 weeks of physics to "fulfill a requirement". Like getting on the 5'oclock news.

And that 65,000 BETTER BE A BRIBE OF SOME SORT!
Actually, in oral radiology there was some physicals involved.

It's only one more hoop to jump through. Tough news, but get used to it. You will be jumping through hoops the next four years- if you make it through the conditional acceptance.

This is kinda like beating a dead horse already. It was a pretty innocent question. But let it out guys, let it out...