Just got accepted. Should I go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Handsome88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I just got accepted to SGU today, so now I am actually thinking about reasons why I should go :p

My questions are:
1) Is it true that you only live in Grenada for 2 years, the final 2 (clinical) years are completely in the US or other country?
2) Can Canadians do all their clinical back in Canada? Or does it have to be in the US?
3) Do you know anyone who went back to Canada for residencies after graduating?

Thank you everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't really know the answer to your questions about where you can do your rotations. Are you asking whether you should go because of your concerns with where you will be your last two years or just whether or not you should go in general? I don't think anyone on here can really speak for what is in your best interest because only you know your situation and what will be best for you. but I can with certainty say that I would be on the next plane out. good luck with whatever you decide.

I don't really know the answer to your questions about where you can do your rotations. Are you asking whether you should go because of your concerns with where you will be your last two years or just whether or not you should go in general? I don't think anyone on here can really speak for what is in your best interest because only you know your situation and what will be best for you. but I can with certainty say that I would be on the next plane out. good luck with whatever you decide.

Whether or not I should go depends on where I will be in the last two years. So the answers to my questions will help me a lot decide!

Members don't see this ad :)
perhaps there is an advisors contact information listed on their site or somewhere in whatever information has been sent to you. you could maybe contact them and most likely get more concrete answers than you may get here.

1) Yes, 2 years = preclinical study of the MD are in Grenada. There is a vacation period after certain terms as well when a student can go back home. So in reality, its probably less than 24 exact months.

2) All clinical sites of SGU are in the US and UK. With the exception of an elective (i think) which students can choose to do in BC, Canada. There was a big article on the school's website about it a month or so back. For what the current situation is, you should call the school and ask.

3) Only a canadian SGU grad currently in residency in Canada can best answer your question.

Future of IMGs/FMGs is anyway not looking very bright at the moment and you should go to SGU only if you've exhausted all other options.

Last edited:
Sincere congratulations to you. The next 4 years of your life are going to be so stimulating, exciting and fun. I wish I could do it all over again.

My advice is finish as quickly as possible. For instance I did my 3rd year in London, that avoids waiting to pass the USMLE before starting clinicals. Then we all took the USMLE in London. Great times.

Two years in the Carib, then one in London, quite a fun time.

Don't worry about the future, just go study your butt off.

1) Yes, 2 years = preclinical study of the MD are in Grenada. There is a vacation period after certain terms as well when a student can go back home. So in reality, its probably less than 24 exact months.

2) All clinical sites of SGU are in the US and UK. With the exception of an elective (i think) which students can choose to do in BC, Canada. There was a big article on the school's website about it a month or so back. For what the current situation is, you should call the school and ask.

3) Only a canadian SGU grad currently in residency in Canada can best answer your question.

Future of IMGs/FMGs is anyway not looking very bright at the moment and you should go to SGU only if you've exhausted all other options.

Thank you very much for the help.

Why do you say that the future of IMGs is not looking very bright at the moment? I have another option which is also makes me an IMG, Cornell university in Qatar. Is there any reason why SGU is a better choice than Cornell (residencies, countries I can practice in...etc)?

Sincere congratulations to you. The next 4 years of your life are going to be so stimulating, exciting and fun. I wish I could do it all over again.

My advice is finish as quickly as possible. For instance I did my 3rd year in London, that avoids waiting to pass the USMLE before starting clinicals. Then we all took the USMLE in London. Great times.

Two years in the Carib, then one in London, quite a fun time.

Don't worry about the future, just go study your butt off.

Thanks very much for the support tracheatoedoc!

Did you finish in 3 years only? And did you have a hard time going from one country to another or was it smooth for you?

Thanks very much for the support tracheatoedoc!

Did you finish in 3 years only? And did you have a hard time going from one country to another or was it smooth for you?

I finished in 38 months. 20 months in the caribbean. 11 months in London. 7 months in the US. I went to AUC in the mid 90's and everything was pretty easy. I had absolutely no hassles setting anything up.

Cornell Qatar sounds intriguing. Is it more expensive than SGU?

I know of 2 people who are in residency now in canada who went to st.george's, but MANY more have applied through carms without matching.

I finished in 38 months. 20 months in the caribbean. 11 months in London. 7 months in the US. I went to AUC in the mid 90's and everything was pretty easy. I had absolutely no hassles setting anything up.

Cornell Qatar sounds intriguing. Is it more expensive than SGU?

It has the same fees as Cornell-NY, around 45-47K? But living expenses there are higher.

I am currently studying biomedical science in UCL and paying £16000 per year and I am hoping after 3 years..I do medicine.... I also got accepted for january term in SGU,,,Now iam totally confused whether I should go or not,,,Ever time I ask people about the university ..they said, It is not good for my future..specialy if I want to do a good speciality,,whats your opinion guys???..TNX

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently studying biomedical science in UCL and paying £16000 per year and I am hoping after 3 years..I do medicine.... I also got accepted for january term in SGU,,,Now iam totally confused whether I should go or not,,,Ever time I ask people about the university ..they said, It is not good for my future..specialy if I want to do a good speciality,,whats your opinion guys???..TNX

Well, if you can go, US MD or DO...if not, then go SGU!

If i'm not mistaken you spend exactly 18 months on the island (barring any failures or having to retake a class), and then you're back in the states where the greatest probability is that you will wind up in NY somewhere. SGU had paid $100 million to some hospital system up there for an eclusive contract to ensure residencies for their graduates.

If i'm not mistaken you spend exactly 18 months on the island (barring any failures or having to retake a class), and then you're back in the states where the greatest probability is that you will wind up in NY somewhere. SGU had paid $100 million to some hospital system up there for an eclusive contract to ensure residencies for their graduates.

They aren't residencies (i wish). They're clinical rotations for the 3rd and 4th years. And it's the HHC contract you're referring to.

Hey I just got accepted to SGU today, so now I am actually thinking about reasons why I should go :p

My questions are:
1) Is it true that you only live in Grenada for 2 years, the final 2 (clinical) years are completely in the US or other country?
2) Can Canadians do all their clinical back in Canada? Or does it have to be in the US?

Thank you everyone!

Congrats! May I aks your stats?

No, I don't think you should go. If your problem is low MCAT, you should retake it. It's a lot easier aiming for a 34+ than aiming for a 250+ on the USMLE Step 1.

If your problem is low GPA (under 3.5, above 3.0), then you still retake the MCAT. A high MCAT can overcome that fairly easily.

Remember also that if you go to SGU, Stafford loans only cover up to $20k (versus $40k for US schools). You will have to take the difference via GradPlus at 8-9% interest rates pending your credit report.

Edit: nevermind, I just realized you might be Canadian...

Well, to put it in perspective, if you started in August 2009, you will be off the island in May 2011, assuming that you do not fail or drop a class.

No, I don't think you should go.
If your problem is low MCAT, you should retake it. It's a lot easier aiming for a 34+ than aiming for a 250+ on the USMLE Step 1.

If your problem is low GPA (under 3.5, above 3.0), then you still retake the MCAT. A high MCAT can overcome that fairly easily.

Remember also that if you go to SGU, Stafford loans only cover up to $20k (versus $40k for US schools). You will have to take the difference via GradPlus at 8-9% interest rates pending your credit report.

I retook the MCAT and am awaiting the results and have some gradschool loans.

Need advice please.

My questions are:

Thank you everyone!

Read the other thread about Windsor and decide if you still want to take a big (expensive) risk by going offshore.

Read the other thread about Windsor and decide if you still want to take a big (expensive) risk by going offshore.

Windsor != SGU. Please don't lump all off-shore schools together.

Windsor has matched a few dozen graduates w/n the last 10 years. SGU matches around 500/year. Please don't make such ridiculous statements without knowing the facts.

Windsor != SGU. Please don't lump all off-shore schools together.

Perhaps I was a bit hasty in using a one liner to explain the drawbacks of going off-shore. No, Windsor isn't SGU. Not by a longshot, however, going to SGU or any foreign medical school right now without doing your homework is fraught with financial risks.

Even for the big 4, the graduation and match rate I've heard hovers around 50-60% of the original class. That means that out of the 300 or so who arrive on the island, maybe 150 graduate and find a residency afterwards. What happens to the other 150? Well they either failed out or don't match. It may be either that the students didn't have good study habits before coming to the island or maybe they didn't score high even on the USMLE for a residency program to be interested, but the bottom line is that those who fail out are left saddled with $50,000-$250,000 in debt and no means to pay it back.

And this doesn't take into account what might happen with Obama's healthcare reform. They are no longer expanding the number of residency spots, so eventully, the rise in US medical school class will match the number of residency spots, making it even harder for graduates of Foreign and Carribbean schools to match. Again, there's nothing wrong with SGU or their curriculum and they train pretty good doctors. But I've talked with a lot of Foreign Medical School graduates who are doing or trying to find residencies right now, and they all say that they're having a bitch of a time finding a residency spot.