got accepted into MSAP NEED ADVICE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

morrisol

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just got accepted into the MSAP. I want to do incredibly well in it. For anyone who has done it, what advice can you give me? How are the exams and quizzes structured? What should I do to prepare for the course? Any advice would be truly appreciated. And please dont just tell me to study hard because i will be doing that regardless.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve read all those forums but none answer my questions

I was operating under the assumption that "any advice would be truly appreciated" and building you a rationale about what I'd do were I in your shoes.

The good thing about the MSAP is that it doesn't cost you anything, you can do it without going to Grenada, and if you pass you're in. The bad thing about it is that it delays your time getting started in medical school there and, if you fail it, you're going to get put in the Foundations program... meaning more money and even more delay.

I stand by my advice. You are in the catbird seat more than you realize.

-Skip

I'm a survivor of last summers MSAP. First of all, the difficulty all depends on your background and if you're working or not. I was a teacher and worked about 25 hours a week during MSAP and it was brutal, as well as a very poor background in genetics and biochem. It's very fast paced and you cannot get behind, this goes for med school too, you CANNOT get behind... actually you're already behind. I barely passed MSAP but hey, all you need to do is pass it. I know many that did not pass and did charter foundations and it worked well for them (if you have the time and money), but give MSAP everything you've got and go from there. For now, your mind should be focused on passing MSAP and getting ready for term 1, charter shouldn't even be on your browser history, don't look into it, just stay focused on your goal of getting that white coat in August, don't settle for less.

To answer your questions:

For anyone who has done it, what advice can you give me? First of all, don't get behind. It's a lot of material each week, and each week gets more and more intense. It's all cumulative too, so keep it fresh. I didn't do any of that tutor stuff they offer, mostly because of time on my end, but they seemed to help others. Try to get your first pass of the material done by Tuesday night/wednesday noon.. then review, review, review until Sunday. Try to do as many practice questions you can find as well- BRS (more on par with MSAP questions), Pre Test (hardest). Sunday night after the quiz is done, just de-stress and take a night off- your brain needs a break.

How are the exams and quizzes structured? SGU has been changing stuff around, so if it's still the same as last summer- there was I think 1 quiz each sunday (4 quizzes) then a final. The first quiz was like 8% of your grade, then the next quizzes increased in points. The final I believe was 50% of your grade, all cumulative. The last week was rough, as you had a quiz Sunday then the Final was a wednesday I believe. They're all done on your computer, using your webcam to record you so you don't cheat. Don't cheat, just don't. Also, for me, repetition is key- I needed to repeat things over and over, many times a day until it sticks..

What should I do to prepare for the course? The material is basically some of the major concepts of terms 1 and 2 at SGU. I would brush up on genetics, biochem, and physiology (cell, muscle, renal, respiratory, cardio, digestion). They don't get into too much depth with physio, but it's still a lot if you've never really had it before (most struggle with renal and respiratory physio). Also, if you've never taken Anatomy before, brush up on some medical terminology- prefixes, suffixes, anatomical position, directionality, major bones and muscles... just to get yourself introduced or brush up on Anatomy stuff, because they give you a hefty amount to learn. Don't go too crazy with preparing for autonomic nervous system, but maybe look into that a little bit too since it was a struggle bus for a lot of us (perhaps it was the professor, lol, you'll see).. Most of the professors are pretty good, but anatomy and physio is a bit of a different story at SGU- there's a few good ones, but you'll see that you will need to use youtube, dr. najeeb, khan academy, etc. to learn it because the teachers aren't effectively teaching it to you. Same goes in term 1 and 2- youtube is life.

Any advice would be truly appreciated: The first week or so is basically figuring out what study method works best for you- it's different for everyone. If you don't do well or fail the first quiz, it's not over till the fat lady sings, so don't give up. I think I failed one of the quizzes (3rd one I think) and I still passed MSAP, so don't worry. Learn to move on and pick up your slack.. because in med school that's what you need to do.

MSAP is a great prep for what's to come in term 1 and 2, mostly term 1. It's all the same material, same professors, some of the same quiz questions, so it's a great preview. Take advantage of learning the material well and understanding important concepts because it will help you in August and Jan.

And please dont just tell me to study hard because i will be doing that regardless...Study effectively.. use the right resources (and not too many), and find out what works for you. Be organized and stay on track.

All in all, MSAP is a blessing in disguise. It may suck that they put you in it (I had a negative attitude about it at first), but it gave me a kick in the rear to get my rear prepared for the real deal. It will help you in the future and if anything, think of it as extra review and preparation you're getting over your peers.

May the odds be ever in your favor and let me know if you have any specific questions.

I'm a survivor of last summers MSAP. First of all, the difficulty all depends on your background and if you're working or not. I was a teacher and worked about 25 hours a week during MSAP and it was brutal, as well as a very poor background in genetics and biochem. It's very fast paced and you cannot get behind, this goes for med school too, you CANNOT get behind... actually you're already behind. I barely passed MSAP but hey, all you need to do is pass it. I know many that did not pass and did charter foundations and it worked well for them (if you have the time and money), but give MSAP everything you've got and go from there. For now, your mind should be focused on passing MSAP and getting ready for term 1, charter shouldn't even be on your browser history, don't look into it, just stay focused on your goal of getting that white coat in August, don't settle for less.

To answer your questions:

For anyone who has done it, what advice can you give me? First of all, don't get behind. It's a lot of material each week, and each week gets more and more intense. It's all cumulative too, so keep it fresh. I didn't do any of that tutor stuff they offer, mostly because of time on my end, but they seemed to help others. Try to get your first pass of the material done by Tuesday night/wednesday noon.. then review, review, review until Sunday. Try to do as many practice questions you can find as well- BRS (more on par with MSAP questions), Pre Test (hardest). Sunday night after the quiz is done, just de-stress and take a night off- your brain needs a break.

How are the exams and quizzes structured? SGU has been changing stuff around, so if it's still the same as last summer- there was I think 1 quiz each sunday (4 quizzes) then a final. The first quiz was like 8% of your grade, then the next quizzes increased in points. The final I believe was 50% of your grade, all cumulative. The last week was rough, as you had a quiz Sunday then the Final was a wednesday I believe. They're all done on your computer, using your webcam to record you so you don't cheat. Don't cheat, just don't. Also, for me, repetition is key- I needed to repeat things over and over, many times a day until it sticks..

What should I do to prepare for the course? The material is basically some of the major concepts of terms 1 and 2 at SGU. I would brush up on genetics, biochem, and physiology (cell, muscle, renal, respiratory, cardio, digestion). They don't get into too much depth with physio, but it's still a lot if you've never really had it before (most struggle with renal and respiratory physio). Also, if you've never taken Anatomy before, brush up on some medical terminology- prefixes, suffixes, anatomical position, directionality, major bones and muscles... just to get yourself introduced or brush up on Anatomy stuff, because they give you a hefty amount to learn. Don't go too crazy with preparing for autonomic nervous system, but maybe look into that a little bit too since it was a struggle bus for a lot of us (perhaps it was the professor, lol, you'll see).. Most of the professors are pretty good, but anatomy and physio is a bit of a different story at SGU- there's a few good ones, but you'll see that you will need to use youtube, dr. najeeb, khan academy, etc. to learn it because the teachers aren't effectively teaching it to you. Same goes in term 1 and 2- youtube is life.

Any advice would be truly appreciated: The first week or so is basically figuring out what study method works best for you- it's different for everyone. If you don't do well or fail the first quiz, it's not over till the fat lady sings, so don't give up. I think I failed one of the quizzes (3rd one I think) and I still passed MSAP, so don't worry. Learn to move on and pick up your slack.. because in med school that's what you need to do.

MSAP is a great prep for what's to come in term 1 and 2, mostly term 1. It's all the same material, same professors, some of the same quiz questions, so it's a great preview. Take advantage of learning the material well and understanding important concepts because it will help you in August and Jan.

And please dont just tell me to study hard because i will be doing that regardless...Study effectively.. use the right resources (and not too many), and find out what works for you. Be organized and stay on track.

All in all, MSAP is a blessing in disguise. It may suck that they put you in it (I had a negative attitude about it at first), but it gave me a kick in the rear to get my rear prepared for the real deal. It will help you in the future and if anything, think of it as extra review and preparation you're getting over your peers.

May the odds be ever in your favor and let me know if you have any specific questions.

thanks so much for the response. i just pm'd you. hope tahts alright