Just got my MCAT score back and would like honest feedback in regards to my chances and what I should do!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bored_Conscious

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here on SDN. I have been using reddit exclusively for most of my premed career, however, I lurk on SDN occasionally. I decided that now would be a good time to make my first post and get some feedback from both communities.

I just got my MCAT score today and it wasn't what I wanted exactly. I feel that I have no chance at any High-tier schools and my best shot is mid-tier schools. I would like some feedback on my chances of getting into an MD school here in Texas and states outside of Texas. I will be applying 2021.

In Texas, my top 3 schools would be UTSW, LONG, or McGovern. Do I have a chance at LONG or McGovern? I feel that I have no chance at UTSW due to my MCAT.

Should I retake my 510? I studied my ass off and I am not confident I will be able to raise my score by 5+ points if I studied for 1.5 month during winter break. I don't think it is worth retaking unless I can score a 515+ for sure.

Lastly, If I am smart with my school list, get good LOR, and continuing working on my current application until May 2021 what are my chances of getting into a U.S. MD? In particular, Texas?

cGPA and sGPA:
  • TMDSAS: cGPA - 3.86 | sGPA: 3.8
  • AMCAS: cGPA - 3.77 | sGPA: 3.73
MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 510 (126/126/128/130)
State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): U.S. Permanent Resident
Ethnicity and/or race: ORM (East Asian)
Undergraduate institution or category: State School
Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
  • Will have worked in the ICU as a patient care technician for 2 years when I apply. (1,000+ hours)
  • Hospice volunteer my freshman year of college. (50 hours)
Research experience and productivity:
  • Will have worked in my exercise physiology lab for around 2 years by the time I apply. Currently have one poster that I presented at my undergraduate research forum and currently working on a publication. Will be second author and may or may not get published before I apply. (300 hours or so)
Shadowing experience and specialties represented:
  • GI Shadow (50 hours)
Non-clinical volunteering
  • VP of a school organization that works with underfunded elementary schools to mentor students through athletics. Had a few interesting events such as working with the NBA G-league and also won best recreational organization on campus 2 years in a row. (~ 120 hours)
  • Powerlifting coach assistant/volunteer for adults/kids with disabilities. Went to area and state where we won overall total and also won several individual awards. (~ 120 hours)
  • Got an internship with the same organization as above. I will be a communications intern and should amass some more hours and leadership skills here. (Haven't started yet, will start this semester)
Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
  • Hobbies: Working out and guitar. I occasionally write training programs and give advice to friends who wish to get into fitness.

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to all your Texas schools and you should receive several interviews. The Texas schools like high GPAs. For AMCAS schools you could try Tulane and TCU-UNT.

Reactions: 1 user
Apply to all your Texas schools and you should receive several interviews. The Texas schools like high GPAs. For AMCAS schools you could try Tulane and TCU-UNT.

I realize that Texas schools like high GPAs and what not, however, average mcat for...let us say Dell or Long is 515 and 516 respectively. Although my GPA is definitely within or above their average, would this not hurt my chances significantly?

I'm curious as to what extent my MCAT will come into play. I am within or above all Texas MD school GPA, however, I am below their average MCAT score for a few schools. Will my GPA make up for the deficit of my MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
You may or may not receive interviews at the top Texas schools. However, you do not need to attend a top tier school in order to obtain a license to practice medicine which is ultimately what matters.

You may or may not receive interviews at the top Texas schools. However, you do not need to attend a top tier school in order to obtain a license to practice medicine which is ultimately what matters.

Fair. I've been stuck on getting into a top texas school for a long time and felt pretty disappointed by the score when it came out. By chance, do you know how much of an impact going to medical school that isn't a "top" medical school will impact my chances for competitive residencies? That was the only reason why I was gunning for top Texas schools.

• Hmm
Fair. I've been stuck on getting into a top texas school for a long time and felt pretty disappointed by the score when it came out. By chance, do you know how much of an impact going to medical school that isn't a "top" medical school will impact my chances for competitive residencies? That was the only reason why I was gunning for top Texas schools.
How well you do in your clinical rotations and your Step 2 score and your LORs are more important than which Texas school you attend.

Reactions: 1 users
I have read so many of these posts. You do NOT need to go to a top tier med school to get a top tier residency. Your stats are fine, you will get into a good school, crush it that med school and you will get the residency you wish

Reactions: 2 users
You can still get into a top residency if you go to YTx-RG or Texas Tech. Your job is to get into A medical school, not merely a Top School.

Invest in MSAR and if your MCAT is > the school's 10%ile, then you have a shot. Even better if your're in the 25th %ile or higher.

You can still get into a top residency if you go to YTx-RG or Texas Tech. Your job is to get into A medical school, not merely a Top School.

Invest in MSAR and if your MCAT is > the school's 10%ile, then you have a shot. Even better if your're in the 25th %ile or higher.

Of course. It was tough, but after a lot of contemplation I decided to not let ego get the best of me and will be applying 2021. Hopefully if I submit early and tell my story right, I can get in the first time. Reapp. seems like a daunting process...

Reactions: 1 users
Of course. It was tough, but after a lot of contemplation I decided to not let ego get the best of me and will be applying 2021. Hopefully if I submit early and tell my story right, I can get in the first time. Reapp. seems like a daunting process...
After medical school you will have two more chances of getting into a top tier programs (residency and fellowship) . They may matter more to secure your first job than medical school.