Just got my MCAT score = :-(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueyellow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my score back. The scores are as follows:

Bio: 11
Phy:8
Verbal:5
Writing:M
total=24 M

I am quite dissapointed with my performance on the test. I took kaplan and scored 27's on the diagnostics.

I am currently finishing my junior year at a public university. I have a 3.5 GPA (science and total). I have worked in the public health office of my campus for 2 years. I have volunteered in a hospital and I have lots of research experience as well. Furthermore, some other activities I partake in are :
-President of a club
-Dance Instructor
-Director of Volunteers for my campus(Melanoma Awareness Project)

So taking into consideration all these things and assuming that I get really good letters of recommendation.

What are my chances of getting into a US medical School?
I know that I can take MCAT again and see if do better, but I am curiuos if the profile I have right now is competitive.

Thanks in advance for taking time to respond. I appreciate your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I don't know if this applies to you, but there's a thread on the MCAT forum about people with much-lower-than-expected verbal scores. I think they're concerned that there may have been some sort of mis-score on their tests. Just a thought if you were concerned about this too.

As for your 24M, I think you might want to look more towards DO schools.

First of all, I feel your pain on the verbal.... verbal owns me too, so you're not the only one.

If you can maintain that GPA I believe you have a great chance of getting into a US school. Your EC's are really solid, but a 25 MCAT will make things very difficult. The only thing you have to work on is to bring up the MCAT score, which I think you can do without too much trouble, just need to put some time in.

Members don't see this ad :)

total=24 M

I am quite dissapointed with my performance on the test. I took kaplan and scored 27's on the diagnostics.

I am currently finishing my junior year at a public university. I have a 3.5 GPA (science and total). I have worked in the public health office of my campus for 2 years. I have volunteered in a hospital and I have lots of research experience as well. Furthermore, some other activities I partake in are :
-President of a club
-Dance Instructor

So taking into consideration all these things and assuming that I get really good letters of recommendation.

I know that I can take MCAT again and see if do better, but I am curiuos if the profile I have right now is competitive.

3.5 and 24 is about avg for osteopathic schools, so you should get a look from them. However, the 5 in verbal might be a roadblock.

It's not just the 5 on verbal. You also got a low score on Phys in comparison to your Bio score. You need to retake the test. If you had a 3.9 GPA maybe you get get away with not retaking it. Your gpa isn't bad, but it's not good enough to justify such a low score.
Doesn't Kaplan have a clause where you can retake their course?

I had to retake the MCAT as well. Try to figure out if there is a reason behind your low score. Maybe you need a different approach to the test or need more time to study for it.

Hey,

First of all, best of luck to you! My cousin's gf took a prep course and then got a 24 twice. Although she only made one B in her entire college career, was very involved with several clubs, volunteering, research, etc., she did not get into med school on her first try. She is brilliant and a very hard worker, but she just isn't a great test taker. However, she did only apply to one med school (the only one in her home state). While she reapplied, she enrolled in a masters program close to the med school and was actually taught by some of the same professors. She took the MCAT a third time, got a 28, and was accepted. Don't lose heart and think that you aren't cut out for med school...it looks like you have everything else going for you. So if at first you don't succeed...

total=24 M

-President of a club
-Dance Instructor

Hey there,
I don't think you are competitive with a 24 MCAT. All the EC's in the world don't matter from what I have seen if the numbers don't reach a certain threshold. Retake, but first figure out if you put your all into this test. If you know there are things you can improve on (maybe you didn't take enough practices?? didn't know some material?? blew off verbal???) then I think you can really improve.

i had a very similar situation. Just an advice: retake it while you can. it will make things much much easier in a few months down.

total=24 M

-President of a club
-Dance Instructor

Retake the MCAT. I scored a 27 the first time, which was 2 points lower than what I'd gotten on the 2-3 practice tests I took. I retook it after taking about 10 full-lengths on top of 11 VR stand-alones (I got a 7 in VR the first time) and I scored a 32. VR went up to a 9 and I did a bit better in the other sections. I only breezed through the info one more time and the rest of my time between tests was spent taking practice tests. If I can improve my score by 5 points starting with a 27, then I'm pretty sure that with some effort you can improve a 24 by a couple points with some practice. Although it is possible to get into medical school with a 24, you'll stand a much better chance with, lets say, a 27+.

Of course, you already know the answer to your question. My only advice is that YOU dictate whether you are cut out for medicine. Don't let that score discourage you if you know that medicine's for you. Just work harder and remember that becoming a doctor is your decision, not AAMC's. We must all be realistic, but first ask yourself if you truly gave it your best. Good luck.

Director of Volunteers?? Is this the Joel Myres Melanoma Project, because I am the DOV at UC Irvine, where the program originated? Which school do you attend?

Does the writing section matter for the admissions process? I have a good gpa and killer BCPM, but the first time I took the MCAT I got a 25 N. Today when i got my score back I got a 28 R. I know my score is still a little low, but it is just so difficult trying to study for the MCAT when you have to work full time. Will the R help me out in any way?

Does the writing section matter for the admissions process? I have a good gpa and killer BCPM, but the first time I took the MCAT I got a 25 N. Today when i got my score back I got a 28 R. I know my score is still a little low, but it is just so difficult trying to study for the MCAT when you have to work full time. Will the R help me out in any way?

Sadly, it will not. :(

3.5 and a 24?

Retake.

Don't retake until you are scoring 8-10 on verbal

That 5 in VR will most certainly keep you out of med school, even DO programs. Get it up to an 8 and you may have a shot.

total=24 M

-President of a club
-Dance Instructor

The R on the written portion is not going to help you much but go with your 28, apply broadly and make sure that the rest of your application is above average. The average for medical school matriculants is 3.6 GPA/30 MCAT. Since you are under on the MCAT (and not that far under) be sure that you are near or above average in terms of GPA and well above average in terms of LORs, extracurriculars and personal statement. Apply broadly and wisely but go with what you have.

Your improvement from your first MCAT is great and you have that in your favor if you didn't hide that first score. If English is not your first language, even better is your GPA is high. Remember that averages are just that, averages with some folks above and some folks under. You are not that far under so get your application done and in early, apply wisely and broadly. Good luck!

Every interview I have been on has told me that the verbal score is the most important one. Science and Physical science show your preparedness, but verbal shows your ability to problem solve and abstract key points and details in the midst of tons of information, crucial traits of a physician. Your bio score is great and your physics score is fine although it could be higher. Up your verbal and you will have a great shot at getting into medical school.

total=24 M

-President of a club
-Dance Instructor

if u are a URM, then id say you should take a shot at applying. if not, then i would start thinking about retaking the mcat, however i would decide how much time you need to prepare for it and not rush into retaking it!!! to comment on the verbal score, it is a little low..maybe you should look into a regrade????....good luck