Just got off the phone with baylor...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simpsonj24

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Baylor told me that their entering class has an average gpa of 3.67 and 22 DAT. Sure is impressive.

Members don't see this ad.

sure is discouraging

simpsonj24 said:
Baylor told me that their entering class has an average gpa of 3.67 and 22 DAT. Sure is impressive.

That's insane.

Members don't see this ad :)
simpsonj24 said:

I believe it!

That seems hard to believe. Only a few schools have a 22 average, I've seen it for Harvard, maybe UCSF and UCLA, UOP around 21. I looked up some stats on Baylor from a year or two ago and it puts it at around 19. I know stats are up this year but you really think its that high?
A 22 on the DAT puts you in the 96.1 percentile, so if 10,000 people apply only about 390 nationwide get that or above. Those other schools mentioned above get lots of out of state applicants. But correct me if I'm wrong, I don't believe many of the Texas schools get too many out of state people. So the chance of having that high an average is pretty slim.

Not disputing you, but sometimes admissions people exaggerate.

I agree, lots of schools spout out numbers like that but I bet that is the average for the acceptances in this first round. Maybe after they let all the waitlisted people in the average drops to the averages we see on the statistics websites.

rajmahal2004 said:
That seems hard to believe. Only a few schools have a 22 average, I've seen it for Harvard, maybe UCSF and UCLA, UOP around 21. I looked up some stats on Baylor from a year or two ago and it puts it at around 19. I know stats are up this year but you really think its that high?
A 22 on the DAT puts you in the 96.1 percentile, so if 10,000 people apply only about 390 nationwide get that or above. Those other schools mentioned above get lots of out of state applicants. But correct me if I'm wrong, I don't believe many of the Texas schools get too many out of state people. So the chance of having that high an average is pretty slim.

Not disputing you, but sometimes admissions people exaggerate.

I know this is completely off topic but I see a lot SDNers with below 3.0 science GPA scoring about a 20 on their DAT science. How is that possible?

Dentist 2 be said:
I know this is completely off topic but I see a lot SDNers with below 3.0 science GPA scoring about a 20 on their DAT science. How is that possible?

There's not really a correlation b/w science GPA and DAT science. It just depends on how much time and effort you put into it, as well as your mindset going into the test. A person with a high gpa knows he doesn't need a top score whereas one with a low gpa knows he needs to ace the test in order to gain acceptances. The high science gpa will probably give you a better background to start studying with, but in the end, its all about effort

Dentist 2 be said:

Some of us went to really competitive undergrads that don't inflate grades. That difference between getting a B+ and an A- seemed oh so hard. :mad: If I was smart enough have gotten a 3.5+ GPA, I bet I could have gotten 26's on my DAT.

In general GPA is a rough projection of your work ethic and the DAT is a rough projection of your ability to retain and apply knowledge. Both traits are considered to be qualities that most people need in large doses in order to succeed in dental school. Can some folks get great grades and blow the DAT while others who have marginal GPA's max the DAT? You bet and some from both groups would even excell in dental school. However, the adcoms are in sort of a betting game when it comes selection time and you cannot blame them if they tend to go with the odds.

Groundhog's explanation is just about right. Unfortunately for me, because I did a double major at UCSD (which deflates GPAs to begin with) my GPA is low, so schools might infer that I don't have a work ethic, unless they see that I did two degrees in 4 years.

But I've realized there is still something I can do about it, so right now I'm taking tons of science courses and getting all A's so at least I have a good trend.

I think schools like to see increases in GPAs over your 4 years b/c they like to see your work ethic improve with added maturity.

Is that average for the entering class for this coming year?

simpsonj24 said: