Just heard about huge budget cuts ASAP at Walgreens

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thoughtfulsinner

Investment banking MD gambler
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pessina feeling the heat to get that stock price up.

Apparently cutting the store manager and RXM's bonuses to 0 was not enough.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So you have breaking news but you don't have any details on what it is. Got it. Thanks!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Link originated 2 days ago?

Considering my store hasn't converted to Walgreens yet and our staffing is shot as it is, I don't know how to feel about it. Business as usual.

it's true, lots of front store hour cuts being made and rolling back front store open hours. pharmacist overlap being cut at a lot of lower volume stores

Cut cut cut cut. It's amazing no one dies yet coz everyone coming in early and staying hours past their time unpaid.

Reactions: 6 users
So, what are you pharmacists going to do about it? Besides sitting on your hands and complaining on this forum?

So, what are you pharmacists going to do about it? Besides sitting on your hands and complaining on this forum?

Your mom’s going to sit on her hands and complain on this forum!

Ok seriously though. I can say it’s true. I have direct knowledge of this happening. Take it or leave it.

Rph are going to 32 hours. Except in busy stores and obviously not the PIC.

So much opportunities out there huh? Keep applying to pharmacy school...

Reactions: 3 users

What can you do when you are a pawn for a mega corporation?

Sure you can quit but you will never get a job ever again. Many jobless rph out there willing to work for anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Getting paid $120k to dispense drugs wasn't going to last forever. Next stop is closing pharmacies and setting up kiosks. The funny thing is CVS/WAGs will undermine themselves by lobbying for remote dispensing since they will have drastically lowered entry costs for any competitors. Also the new entrants will be much more tech savvy and run circles around dinosaurs like walgreens and cvs.

They're going to come in 1 hr early and stay 2 hours late (unpaid of course) every shift probably

Reactions: 3 users
Your mom loves retail! Haha

What happened to you player?

ImageUploadedBySDN1555097104.518394.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Damn this is going to be brutal. Gotta dust off my knee pads again.

Is it weird that I want to hear what @PAtoPharm has to say about this?

Reactions: 1 user
Luckily I can't stay late. Front store closes same time as pharmacy and if I stay late, hourly shift supervisor has to stay late too.

Luckily I can't stay late. Front store closes same time as pharmacy and if I stay late, hourly shift supervisor has to stay late too.

Interesting. When I worked at a pharmacy that had the same hours as front store I had my own keys and access code so that I could come and go freely without having to coordinate with the front store supervisor. Personally I wouldn't enjoy having to wait for them in the morning if I got their first or have them waiting for me in the evening (unless they were in the pharmacy helping me close of course, that would be great).

Just curious- are the "Happy" and "Healthy" streets they're supposedly at the corner of located on one of the planes of HELL? At what point do these places start to care if their customer service goes down the toilet? I don't see how you can make anyone happy with no staff, and everyone knows what ridiculous profits these @ssholes make a year. The public should just wise up and boycott these f@ckers.... I understand not caring if their employees suffer, but they are getting so bare boned that it is going to trickle down to their customers as well.

Just curious- are the "Happy" and "Healthy" streets they're supposedly at the corner of located on one of the planes of HELL? At what point do these places start to care if their customer service goes down the toilet? I don't see how you can make anyone happy with no staff, and everyone knows what ridiculous profits these @ssholes make a year. The public should just wise up and boycott these f@ckers.... I understand not caring if their employees suffer, but they are getting so bare boned that it is going to trickle down to their customers as well.
And aren't they going to sell cbd?

Anyone know what the compass on Friday said? I bet a ton of 24hr stores and 10-8 stores are on the chopping block.

In general about 8 or 9 years ago both Walgreens and CVS began making profound decisions. CVS started a series of acquisitions that would allow them to have access to a PBM. They also started to control their own market by investing in In-store clinics. They also appeared to begin to see the fleeting image of the stand alone brick and mortar pharmacies. Whether they take on an Amazon type of pharmacy scenario is questionable but they are positioned to at least hold their own. Walgreens evidently had a different shake from the magic 8 ball. They decided to merge with a foreign company with hopes of moving their headquarters to Europe thus avoiding US taxes. When the press caught wind of this and WAGS soured on the idea they took what capital it had left and beefed up their store fronts. Failing to see the burgeoning internet market and the concept of brick and mortar pharmacies becoming kiosks Walgreens has put itself in a position of having to play serious catch up. At present it has relegated itself to the Family Dollar of three letter pharmacy chains.

Interesting. When I worked at a pharmacy that had the same hours as front store I had my own keys and access code so that I could come and go freely without having to coordinate with the front store supervisor. Personally I wouldn't enjoy having to wait for them in the morning if I got their first or have them waiting for me in the evening (unless they were in the pharmacy helping me close of course, that would be great).

Thankfully, I'm just staff here. Store opens 1 hour before pharmacy does but closes at the same time on weekdays. If I was a PIC and/or we opened at the same time, I might ask for keys. It might be LP thing for this district/area that limits access.

Not in our district- our DM insists that pharmacists are salaried and coming in and staying late (hours each shift) is the new 'norm' regardless of if there is any other person in the pharmacy/store with you. I'm 100% serious- one pharmacist in the district had come in so early that the store lights were off and so he had an led headband on to work (like below). You'd think there would be some safety issues working in a store that isn't open working alone but apparently not from the perspective of the higher ups...

Last edited:
Not in our district- our DM insists that pharmacists are salaried and coming in and staying late (hours each shift) is the new 'norm' regardless of if there is any other person in the pharmacy/store with you. I'm 100% serious- one pharmacist in the district had come in so early that the store lights were off and so he had an led headband on to work (like below). You'd think there would be some safety issues working in a store that isn't open working alone but apparently not from the perspective of the higher ups...
View attachment 258033
It's clear that every male pharmacist has low self esteem and low T

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Any time walgreens makes a big change cvs will copy it a year or so later. First change was having non-rph as rph boss.... cvs laughed at walgreens for doing it but now they do it too. Walgreens was first to cut back on 24/7 pharmacy but now cvs is cutting back too. Also walgreens started hiring FT floaters with only base pay of 30-32 hours and cvs copied it too. I think in a year or two cvs will copy these budget cuts.

View attachment 258033

That is crazy. I mean, how hard is it for a pharmacist to say he can't work in a store that doesn't have lights on??? Just because the DM is telling him to, doesn't mean that "higher ups" approve this, like you said, this could lead to major trouble. And if the DM really were insisting on it, I would make him put it in writing, because you can bet if anything happens, he will be like "I had no idea this was going on, I never told anyone to do this."

Reactions: 1 users
And people still applying for pharmacy schools. +pity+

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
That is crazy. I mean, how hard is it for a pharmacist to say he can't work in a store that doesn't have lights on??? Just because the DM is telling him to, doesn't mean that "higher ups" approve this, like you said, this could lead to major trouble. And if the DM really were insisting on it, I would make him put it in writing, because you can bet if anything happens, he will be like "I had no idea this was going on, I never told anyone to do this."
He wants to keep his job.

if every one is working off the clock, couldn't there be a class action lawsuit here? company may deny any wrong doing ig 1 or 2 ppl are working off the clock but if this is a common practice among hourly pharmacists then they could be liable right?

if every one is working off the clock, couldn't there be a class action lawsuit here? company may deny any wrong doing ig 1 or 2 ppl are working off the clock but if this is a common practice among hourly pharmacists then they could be liable right?

While I agree with your premise, good luck getting pharmacists to organize...

While I agree with your premise, good luck getting pharmacists to organize...
Can't you just report them to HR for violating FLSA?

So as far as I'm aware (at least for CVS) the only hourly pharmacists I've know of are out in California. Otherwise, pharmacist positions with CVS are considered "exempt" positions and are excluded from overtime regulations, and other rights and protections afforded nonexempt workers.

our rx ended up not affected, actually increased rph hours for may..... wondering what other stores like.

Any staff pharmacist getting hours cut?
My staff had 8 hours per week cut. Down to only 40 hours per 2 weeks. We were cut to a 7-9 store last year and will have our Sunday hours shortened to 4 hours. Many (if not most) staff pharmacists in our district will have their hours cut to less than 40 per week and they are reducing overlap. We will have zero overlap on any day. They also said they will not be hiring any grad interns for the first time this year.

• Wow
My staff had 8 hours per week cut. Down to only 40 hours per 2 weeks. We were cut to a 7-9 store last year and will have our Sunday hours shortened to 4 hours. Many (if not most) staff pharmacists in our district will have their hours cut to less than 40 per week and they are reducing overlap. We will have zero overlap on any day. They also said they will not be hiring any grad interns for the first time this year.

A 4 hour shift on a Sunday? That's not even worth driving to work for, I'd rather go to the beach.

Reactions: 4 users