Just let me in...so I can sleep!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PEN15

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if there was anybody else out there involuntarily participating in the waiting game? I applied to the University of Melbourne and the July assessment should be done. Does anybody know when I should expect a decision in the mail??? I'm from Canada and it takes two weeks for the mail to get here from Australia.

Also, does anybody know when acceptances/rejections go out for University of Queensland?

Members don't see this ad.

I assume you applied to dentistry but in regards to meds I just got rejected from Melbourne (boo-urns) so if you did apply to meds you should be hearing soon. FYI my Melbourne GPA was 6.7, MCAT 29Q so perhaps that will give you some indication. As for Queensland I don't believe they start interviewing until October.

this is a weird question but... how did they reject you? phone? e-mail? letter? all of the above?

what does a 6.7 translate to out of 4.0? I'm not familiar with the australian grading system.

did you apply for graduate or undergraduate entry?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I just received a rejection email from Melbourne graduate entry medical program on Friday. I am at U of Waterloo, GPA 3.60 and MCAT 35N. I was rather surprised that I was rejected. I thought I was at least going to get an interview... but apparently the competition is fierce this year. How irony ... the school that really was my back-up plan is the first to reject me :(

with those stats you should've at the very least gotten an interview at a canadian med school and gotten to at least one american school. did you apply to any irish or caribbean schools? Maybe they rejected you because they knew that it was your back up, given your stats and all.

PEN15 said:
this is a weird question but... how did they reject you? phone? e-mail? letter? all of the above?

what does a 6.7 translate to out of 4.0? I'm not familiar with the australian grading system.

did you apply for graduate or undergraduate entry?
A 6.7 translates roughly to a 3.6-3.7. They notified me via email. The competition must be really tight this year. I corresponded with Melbourne via email a few months ago and they informed me that the average GPA and MCAT of an international receiving an interview was Melbourne GPA 6.5 and MCAT 31Q.

knio said:
Well I just received a rejection email from Melbourne graduate entry medical program on Friday. I am at U of Waterloo, GPA 3.60 and MCAT 35N. I was rather surprised that I was rejected. I thought I was at least going to get an interview... but apparently the competition is fierce this year. How irony ... the school that really was my back-up plan is the first to reject me :(

I don't mean to sound harsh, but using Melbourne as a back-up school is a very bad choice. Melbourne is the elite school here in Australia.

and from what I know, and if things haven't changed, Melbourne only accepts a maximum of 10 int'l students into its grad-entry programme.

Can Canadians still apply to the 6-year program at Melbourne even if we have a bachelors degree already? Anyone know if they'd take the GPA from a bachelors degree over the high school grades?

I know they only allow 10 in the graduate-entry program..but apparently admit up to 80 into the 6-year program

PeterJH said:
Can Canadians still apply to the 6-year program at Melbourne even if we have a bachelors degree already? Anyone know if they'd take the GPA from a bachelors degree over the high school grades?

The answer is no. If they know you've got a degree already, they'll refer you to the grad-entry programme. Among the internationals in the 6-year programme, over 2/3 are from Malaysia. The rest are mostly from Singapore and other parts of Asia. There are a few Canadians in the 6-year programme who finished high school in Canada. The cut-off mark for being considered is 98% (or 95%? 95% is for Dentistry I think....)

Basically, it's a school full of nerds, and I do mean it.... :scared:

I think it's fair to say that Melb Uni in Australia is equivalent to UofT and McGill in Canada.

Hey D302yadayada, are you in med school down in Australia right now?!?

Members don't see this ad :)
D30417995 said:
I don't mean to sound harsh, but using Melbourne as a back-up school is a very bad choice. Melbourne is the elite school here in Australia.

i know melbourne is a good school...but i still would much prefer to go to school in Canada or the US...

PEN15 said:
with those stats you should've at the very least gotten an interview at a canadian med school and gotten to at least one american school. did you apply to any irish or caribbean schools? Maybe they rejected you because they knew that it was your back up, given your stats and all.

ermm...given that I am on student visa in Canada, i doubt I would ever gain admission into Canadian schools. I am applying, however, to 5 schools in Canada that will accept application from internationals, plus many schools in the states. I am not sure I would go to the Caribbean, although I am thinking of applying to Irish schools (Atlantic Bridge program).

tough break. Canadian schools are so hard to get into even if you're Canadian.

I don't think I would consider a caribbean school either. I mean so what if you do your clinical rotations in the US, if you don't have good board scores, a high class rank, and good grades... who cares right? most residencies look at your USMLE to determine if you make the cut or not, not if you know so and so when you did your Med school rotations way back. Chances are they won't even remember you.

If Melbourne Uni won't accept you, you might want to check out the University of Queensland in Brisbane. They look 50% MCAT and 50% Interview and I got in last year with a 29S and what I would consider a poor interview (e.g. when asked what I knew about UQ's medical program I told them I didn't know anything about it other than the fact that UQ is considered a good university in Australia). It's better in some ways to Melbourne because it's 4 years (compared to 4.5 years).

How are you finding UQ's program so far burachan83? I'd like to hear your insight.

canucker said:
How are you finding UQ's program so far burachan83? I'd like to hear your insight.

I actually only spent a few months at UQ because back in May I was accepted into a Canadian med school and have since left Australia. Here's what I got from the experience:

GOOD POINTS:

Brisbane is an awesome city. I've spent most of my life in Vancouver and loved the lack of rain. Literally 12 months of sunshine. If you're from Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver, you may find the city a little small but it's still a great city.

UQ is a great world-class university and I felt I was getting the same level of eduation as in Canada. The campus is beautiful, nicer than UBC.

Lots of Canadians in the program (~25-30 I think) so you'll have people to complain with about how much you miss hockey.

BAD POINTS:

The summer (Dec-Feb) is DAMN HOT. Make sure you have an air conditioner especially if you're Canadian. You will be floored by the humidity.

Giant class size (about 330 at the start). Way way too big. There were many people in my class who I didn't know. Furthermore, the classes had to be divided into sections for the anatomy labs/clinical exposure so a lot of people you will never see except in lecture.

Pretty disorganized in general. Probably because of the giant class size.

Overall, If North America isn't opening any doors for you I would say Australia/Ireland is the best alternative as long as you are aware of big problems getting a residency position back in Canada when you're all done. However, things may be changing now that they are allowing IMGs into the 1st match of CaRMS starting in 2007. It will be interesting to see how IMGs fare in CaRMS 2007 with the new rules. Going to Australia may become a really good option for Canadians.

I have yet to hear back from Melbourne for the physiotherapy program, even though i recieved my response from UQ quite some time ago (i applied at the same time)

I got a letter from UMelbourne over a month ago stating that my application was being assessed and that the next selection round takes place in August 2006 for that course. Either way I should get a decision sometime in August or early September at the latest.

burachan83 said:
If Melbourne Uni won't accept you, you might want to check out the University of Queensland in Brisbane. They look 50% MCAT and 50% Interview and I got in last year with a 29S and what I would consider a poor interview (e.g. when asked what I knew about UQ's medical program I told them I didn't know anything about it other than the fact that UQ is considered a good university in Australia). It's better in some ways to Melbourne because it's 4 years (compared to 4.5 years).

UQ only has January intake and i can't apply because i wont be finishing my degree until april 2007. If I end up not getting any acceptance from Canadian/ US/ Irish med schools this application cycle I may seriously consider reapplying for january intake to both melbourne and UQ.

I am hoping I don't have to do that though....with my stats I am really hoping I will get at least one acceptance from any school!

knio said:
UQ only has January intake and i can't apply because i wont be finishing my degree until april 2007. If I end up not getting any acceptance from Canadian/ US/ Irish med schools this application cycle I may seriously consider reapplying for january intake to both melbourne and UQ.

I am hoping I don't have to do that though....with my stats I am really hoping I will get at least one acceptance from any school!

With your stats and the number of schools you are applying to I'd say you got a really good shot at North America as long as your interviewing skills are up there as well. Good luck!

Hello knio:

You might also want to apply for becoming a permanent resident in Canada. With your stats, you don't need to consider the Aussi schools yet. :)

burachan83-- I am your new best friend in UBC 2010 :) :)

silverfish said:
Hello knio:

You might also want to apply for becoming a permanent resident in Canada. With your stats, you don't need to consider the Aussi schools yet. :)

burachan83-- I am your new best friend in UBC 2010 :) :)

I will be applying next year as soon as I graduate, but the process itself takes at least 2 years. Besides, being a permanent resident in Canada doesn't guarantee admission into Canadian med schools, even with good stats. We all know how ridiculously hard it is to gain admission into Canadian med schools, especially Ontario schools. Unless I want to move east to the Atlantic....

Hello knio:

You logic makes sense. It is an additional option but also a tough one to get through. All the Best :)

burachan83 said:
Lots of Canadians in the program (~25-30 I think) so you'll have people to complain with about how much you miss hockey.

Australia doesn't have "HOCKEY!" :eek: