Just matched; seeking advice for the next four years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chips ahoy

Reaction score
I just matched into an anesthesia residency. It's a great program and I'm lucky to be there, but for personal reasons I wanted to be in a different part of the country. Had good scores and clinical grades, but I feel like I should have done more research, sought out mentors, done more away rotations, etc. so I could be where I want to be.

I'd like be a stronger applicant for fellowship than I was for residency. What sort of "extra-curricular" work should I be involved with during residency? Should I be focusing on research? Networking with faculty or alumni? Looking for leadership roles? Any advice would be appreciated.

For the record, I know that 90% of my effort will have to go toward learning to practice anesthesia. I just don't want to drop the ball on the other 10%.

Members don't see this ad.

Take it one day at a time. Read, read, read every time you have a chance. Don’t focus too much bringing your head down on a failed intubation It’s a big learning curve in the Or the first 3-4 months.

it will feel scary. Hopefully you get 1:1 time the first 2 months 100% of the time as they slowly let you break away. I know some programs throw the ca-1 to the wolves after 2 weeks (maybe let ca-3 hang out with them). That’s not ideal.

Reactions: 1 users
Take it one day at a time. Read, read, read every time you have a chance. Don’t focus too much bringing your head down on a failed intubation It’s a big learning curve in the Or the first 3-4 months.

it will feel scary. Hopefully you get 1:1 time the first 2 months 100% of the time as they slowly let you break away. I know some programs throw the ca-1 to the wolves after 2 weeks (maybe let ca-3 hang out with them). That’s not ideal.
S/He's an MS-4 (newborn whale).

serveimage

The right answer is: Ask again in 1 year. In the meanwhile, look up our internship threads for advice.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First year: would try my very best to be the best clinically intern I can be; you cannot imagine how important this foundation is and how much ease can provide you with subsequently; especially if you have matched to a categorical program because u start to built that reputation from day 1. I would read and I would not distract myself with anything else; if you have a surgical or transitional first year, try to make the most out of it in terms of procedures (lines etc) and pertinent stuff (fiberoptics etc)
2-4 years: aside from clinical development which I take it for granted, hard work, dedication and excellent rapport with colleagues and patients and nurses, try to find from early on what fellowship attracts you the most; get hooked with people of that field in your program and try to work on some abstracts, presentations, book chapters, reviews or even original studies. It all depends where u are and what is going on there; QI projects are also a solution; u need strong letters to reflect all the above.
pS. Don’t start your residency with the defeated mentality and that u wish u were somewhere else. Its Gonna kill u!

Reactions: 1 user
work hard, read, and ask questions