Just my thoughts/concerns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

molar3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my 1st application cycle and i applied back in june. I got a 20/20/20 on my DAT this past summer the first time i took it. However i feel like my gpa isn't good enough my science is only a 2.7 and my cum a 3.3. I was hoping since i applied early i'd get some interviews however I havn't. Im beginning to just face reality that I probably wont be getting in this cycle. Bummer. I just graduated this year so I'm not in school right now, I have a part time job and am volunteering for a dental clinic in my city.
The point of this post is, I want dental school so baddddddddd. I stopped having a life this past summer (not to mention my boyfriend dumped me, cool) when i studied for my DAT bc i wanted a bangin score which i guess i didn't obtain but...i was still satisfied with a 20.
I feel like I've "given up" everything else in my life to get to dental school. Not necessarily given up but...put everything aside/on hold for a while until i get in...whenever that may be....
Now I'm going to have to take post bacc courses and get straight 4.0's in them (no this is not a joke, i really do plan on trying to get 4.0s) and once again (like DAT studying) be so dedicated to my work i just wont have time for any sort of life. Which is probably what i SHOULD have done in undergrad but whats done is done. learning my lesson a little later than others i suppose.
I'm not complaining bc dental school is the only thing i want to achieve, however im wondering if anyone else is going through this? I understand my stat's arent competitive enough for dental school yet but I'm trying to stay positive and not get overwhelmed with all that i still have to do. i kind of feel like a freak of nature excluding myself from the world. I mean I'm constantly studying for my DAT again and then next semester I'll be taking classes again and working etc.
I realize once i get to dental school life will be like this too, however at least i'll have the comfort of knowing im IN dental school and it wont be a constant STRESS on me as to what i'll be doing with my future.
Sorry this post is so long I was just feeling drained and wanted to know if anyone else has felt like this before.....

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is my 1st application cycle and i applied back in june. I got a 20/20/20 on my DAT this past summer the first time i took it. However i feel like my gpa isn't good enough my science is only a 2.7 and my cum a 3.3. I was hoping since i applied early i'd get some interviews however I havn't. Im beginning to just face reality that I probably wont be getting in this cycle. Bummer. I just graduated this year so I'm not in school right now, I have a part time job and am volunteering for a dental clinic in my city.
The point of this post is, I want dental school so baddddddddd. I stopped having a life this past summer (not to mention my boyfriend dumped me, cool) when i studied for my DAT bc i wanted a bangin score which i guess i didn't obtain but...i was still satisfied with a 20.
I feel like I've "given up" everything else in my life to get to dental school. Not necessarily given up but...put everything aside/on hold for a while until i get in...whenever that may be....
Now I'm going to have to take post bacc courses and get straight 4.0's in them (no this is not a joke, i really do plan on trying to get 4.0s) and once again (like DAT studying) be so dedicated to my work i just wont have time for any sort of life. Which is probably what i SHOULD have done in undergrad but whats done is done. learning my lesson a little later than others i suppose.
I'm not complaining bc dental school is the only thing i want to achieve, however im wondering if anyone else is going through this? I understand my stat's arent competitive enough for dental school yet but I'm trying to stay positive and not get overwhelmed with all that i still have to do. i kind of feel like a freak of nature excluding myself from the world. I mean I'm constantly studying for my DAT again and then next semester I'll be taking classes again and working etc.
I realize once i get to dental school life will be like this too, however at least i'll have the comfort of knowing im IN dental school and it wont be a constant STRESS on me as to what i'll be doing with my future.
Sorry this post is so long I was just feeling drained and wanted to know if anyone else has felt like this before.....

molar, first your dat scores are bangin, dont take snd and predents stats as the norm. second, your gpa is a bit on the low side so if you dont get in this cycle you must do something to improve them. a post-bacc program is just the thing you need. i recommend taking one at a university or through a medical school (i did mine at Drexel Med, an evening post-bacc so i could work too) they are a bit pricier unless your state school has a good program (you must ace all of the classes, but im sure you can since you did so well on the dat). i do recommend that you don't take classes at a community college. the competition is fierce, and the adcoms want to see what steps you have taken from one cycle to the next to improve your application. you are still so young, work, volunteer, save money and study. this is my best advise. PS dont give up hope for this cycle, but don't let waiting stop you from preparing for 2012! :luck: :) :thumbup:

Last edited:
Molar, don't lose hope. Your DAT is pretty solid. Yep, GPA needs some work, so take some post-Bac courses in some hardcore sciences to bring that up. Reason I say don't lose hope is that I have a 19/19/21 DAT and have a few interviews. My GPA is 3.5, but I'm also having to retake a couple of chemistry classes that I slacked in during undergrad years ago. I never thought I'd be granted any interviews, but I have. I wasn't sure if any dental schools would give me a shot, but several actually are! So, take the next year improving your GPA. Best of luck to you! :luck: